Nice skip find

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob1693

Established Member
Reaction score
Only just got this spotted medallury rays peeking out at me, not sure what other goodies were in there as skip wagon came ro remove skip a minute later,think is was some sort if pelmet in a bar or restaurant

20230529_171155.jpg

Gotta love a skip, I've yet to be able to pass one without having a really good look inside, including ones I've filled myself! I've got a lovely 7ft mahogany mantle I rescued from a skip a while back. Need to find a way of getting the pure evil that is construction adhesive off the bottom before I can do anything with it though. Looks like it put up a fight because its still got bits of brick attached to it.

As much as I share the same sentiments as you guys regarding rescuing useful wood from skips ( I have done so myself on a few occasions), But,....Please do the courtesy of asking the hirer of the skip if they would mind if you take the wood......It is actually illegal to search through or remove anything from a skip in the UK without the permission of the hirer, no matter whether the skip is located in a public place or private land.

As much as I share the same sentiments as you guys regarding rescuing useful wood from skips ( I have done so myself on a few occasions), But,....Please do the courtesy of asking the hirer of the skip if they would mind if you take the wood......It is actually illegal to search through or remove anything from a skip in the UK without the permission of the hirer, no matter whether the skip is located in a public place or private land.
Try telling that to our "friends" from elsewhere, who like to scour residential areas for treasure left outdoors in yellow metal containers.

Try telling that to our "friends" from elsewhere, who like to scour residential areas for treasure left outdoors in yellow metal containers.

I understand what you're saying Adam, believe me, I do!

Until about 2 weeks ago, I had a skip on my front drive.....I'd been installing a new kitchen for my next door neighbours and as their driveway is a lot smaller than mine, I offered to put the skip I needed for the job on my own driveway for the duration of the works.
My wife works from home and the skip was sited just in front of our lounge window and she became aware that someone was in the skip as she could see them whilst she was sitting & working.
She went out and challenged them,....2 guys in high vis jackets + hard hats....asked them what the hell they thought they were doing, only to get what she assumed was a load of abuse in a foreign language.......

As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure that if someone took the time just to ask for permission to remove something from a skip, 99% of people would be fine with it......Its just the thought of strangers taking it upon themselves to go through any of your property, whether it's in a skip or not, is a bloody liberty, as well as being illegal!

I understand what you're saying Adam, believe me, I do!

Until about 2 weeks ago, I had a skip on my front drive.....I'd been installing a new kitchen for my next door neighbours and as their driveway is a lot smaller than mine, I offered to put the skip I needed for the job on my own driveway for the duration of the works.
My wife works from home and the skip was sited just in front of our lounge window and she became aware that someone was in the skip as she could see them whilst she was sitting & working.
She went out and challenged them,....2 guys in high vis jackets + hard hats....asked them what the hell they thought they were doing, only to get what she assumed was a load of abuse in a foreign language.......

As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure that if someone took the time just to ask for permission to remove something from a skip, 99% of people would be fine with it......Its just the thought of strangers taking it upon themselves to go through any of your property, whether it's in a skip or not, is a bloody liberty, as well as being illegal!
At first my overwhelming thought was - why on earth not - they are clearly dumping it and it's going to landfill isn't it? But I guess i do get the element of courtesy/rudeness.

(Mind you it is frustrating when I see some really nice stuff at the local dump which I know will be crushed and I'm not allowed to take it home ..... actually more than frustrating when I then see the attendants help themselves to good stuff and take it around the back of their shed. And yes I do realise that it would be a nightmare having people like me clogging up the long queue and wasting other people's time)

my view is this is by far the best form of recycling like milk bottles etc. all stuff thrown should have the opportunity to be reused( at a cost)

Miss the days as a boy when you could go down the local dump and wander around collecting random stuff. Breaking the seal on a TV CRT to get a large bang/pop, throwing old batteries or roof tiles on a fire to get a pop, collecting bike bits to make a go-kart, etc. Wholesome childhood fun, except the roof tiles that were likely asbestos, oops.

My local dump operatives were very excited to take the copper pipe off my hands when the old hot water tank was replaced with a pressurised system. Went straight in their special bin, but can't blame them when I expect the pay is terrible.

Dont get me wrong guys, as I wholeheartedly agree that upcycling materials that are intended to be thrown away is to be applauded, but just do the right thing and ask permission first, before you go rummaging around.

Who does legally own the contents of a skip? After all if one is throwing something away then it has been deemed that it is of no value. Does any value that is still there, then pass to the skip company? After all they have to dispose of the contents and recycle and sell any bits that have a value. This, along with the hire charge, will contribute to their profits.
Just asking.......... :unsure:

Who does legally own the contents of a skip? After all if one is throwing something away then it has been deemed that it is of no value. Does any value that is still there, then pass to the skip company? After all they have to dispose of the contents and recycle and sell any bits that have a value. This, along with the hire charge, will contribute to their profits.
Interesting concept but the items in the skip have a negative value to the original owner as they are paying for the skip.

The ownership of the contents is not related to its value. The ownership transfers from the skip hirer to the skip hiree once the skip leaves the hirers premises. At that point the skip hire company has the responsibility to dispose of the contents and will aim to realise any residual value of the contents.
Brian

So I understand. I'd be much, much, more peeved with someone who put stuff into a skip that I was hiring TBH.

At first my overwhelming thought was - why on earth not - they are clearly dumping it and it's going to landfill isn't it? But I guess i do get the element of courtesy/rudeness.

When we were doing some work last year - we had a skip on the drive and we threw out an old radiator - at the same time we had some new radiators which had arrived and were stacked by the house wall in the sunshine - waiting to go in... Our builder was just in time to stop someone who had wandered in and decided to take all radiators - from the skip and those stacked new by the house ;) I would have zero issues in sharing my waste with someone who wants it - but I get to make that decision while it is still on my drive - not them!

Its irrelevant as to whether any item in someone's skip has any value at all.....The point is, the "rubbish" or items in any skip, belong to the hirer of the skip, not to any old Tom, Dick or Harry who fancies something he happens to see in it when passing by.

All the timber for the frame for this deck was made from 3 pallets a company I work for allowed me to strip down.They were the shipping pallets that 3 new Anca cncs were delivered on, and they were glad to get rid of them

Also I generally do ask but if an opportunity arises and there's no one to ask I won't think twice about removing things from skips on streets

Same with my workshop 60% of materials that built it came from skips or off jobs I've worked on where they were dumping brand new overbought materials in a skip at end of job criminal how much waste there is on a lot of the jobs I work on

20180827_133512.jpg
20180907_150339.jpg

(Mind you it is frustrating when I see some really nice stuff at the local dump which I know will be crushed and I'm not allowed to take it home ..... actually more than frustrating when I then see the attendants help themselves to good stuff and take it around the back of their shed. And yes I do realise that it would be a nightmare having people like me clogging up the long queue and wasting other people's time)
The trick is to get to know the staff.

I'd be very happy if anyone removed anything from a skip I was filling - that would leave me more room to dump more stuff!

Back