Nice skip find

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think it's Oak
Think your mistaken there doug
20230606_183138.jpg

20230606_184252.jpg

20230606_183149.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Doug 71.
If close up photos were available of the wide surface and the end grain that would be helpful.
I would be looking for vessels and medullary rays.
I cannot see any in the existing images, hence my thought that it isn't oak
Fred

I agree with Doug 71.
If close up photos were available of the wide surface and the end grain that would be helpful.
I would be looking for vessels and medullary rays.
I cannot see any in the existing images, hence my thought that it
Planes like oak onion skin like shavings

Picture of endgrain sshavings and wide surface below dougs post
Hi Rob
The images you have posted are not clear enough to make a decision.
If you get a close up photo of the surface you have hand planes we should be able to see vessels which are clearly visible in oak.
If you hand plane the end grain and took a clear close up photo, we should see medullary rays and vessels. I cannot see these in the images you have uploaded
Fred

Hi Rob
I've just carried out a Google search 'Oak wood identification ' and there are a number of very clear images showing end grain and the holes, (vessels) that I cannot see in your end grain image. Hope that's helpful.
Fred

Here in Cz, there is almost a reliance on the 'unofficial' recyclers cleaning up any scrap. It is more often being taken to a scrap merchants in exchange for beer money (beer is cheaper than water here), rather than being recycled in the way we are talking about here. There have been cases where it has been taken to extremes, so they did tighten the law a few years back, making the scrap dealers more responsible for identifying the provenance and legality of the sourcing of the material (I believe there were some railway rails involved in one case).
You do see a lot of stores here making pallets available by leaving them outside their doors, which is nice, especially if you happen to have a jigsaw or hand saw in the boot.
If any of my colleagues have any trees felled, I usually get asked if I want any of the wood, and if I do take it, I usually make them a box or something in return.
We actually have a large shed at the local dump. When you drop your garbage off, anything you think is reusable you put in shed, I've gotten a complete kitchen for my garage, and a drafting table, etc etc. all for free. We are lucky to live in an area where rich people have second homes and renovate often. It's amazing what they consider junk!

As much as I share the same sentiments as you guys regarding rescuing useful wood from skips ( I have done so myself on a few occasions), But,....Please do the courtesy of asking the hirer of the skip if they would mind if you take the wood......It is actually illegal to search through or remove anything from a skip in the UK without the permission of the hirer, no matter whether the skip is located in a public place or private land.
agree, although I wish more people thought to just put a sign out to say its fine to take stuff. Quite often i don't want to disturb people so just let things go as i won't take without asking. Often people don't realise other people can do things with what they consider to be rubbish.

Just started cleaning up this oak board by hand on my low benchView attachment 160407
Doesn't look like any oak I've ever seen - looks quite a lot like Douglas fir however, of which I've encountered a reasonable amount of. Nice find all the same.

I skip dove recently to get at 6x good sized polycarbonate sheets that I had a use for (workshop side 'tween fence and roof beam) - I knocked the door twice, and after taking the sheets left a note in their letterbox with my number on it. Nada.

Back