Cooker hood poser...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
This concerns the 10 minute job that has taken half the day, courtesy of my beloved buying a "universal" carbon charcoal extractor hood filter.
My heart sank as soon as I spotted "universal".
Copious amounts of degreaser later, I managed to dismantle the bloody thing and somehow figured out how to fit the thing.
None of your 15 different language instructions here. Diagrams only.
Anyway, it started me thinking - I know, I know - about what happens "at the top" of the funnel.
Peeked over, to see... nothing.
A hole. Maybe 6" diameter. That's it. A hole.
I assume there should be something on the top?!

It's donkey's years old - a Beat APM2310 hood design.
No sign of it/them ont t'interweb, but Hygena also boasted the same model. Also long discontinued, of course.

So...what's missing?! What should sit at the top of the hood?!

Why would it need something on the top? Doesn’t the air flow need an exit or am I misunderstanding your question?

if you are using the carbion extractor it just recirculates the air - so not sure you are missing anything - i fitted a couple in 80s to various kitchens

the diagram for the extractor showed 2 options , vented outside or carbon filter recirculate

if there was no carbon filter then i would expect piping to an outside vent

i cant remember but i think the filter needed changing very frequently (every 3-6mths i think) - got expensive , so a few years ago , in a new home i made sure it just extracted
lose the heat in the kitchen , but that was before the price increases , but to be honest when cooking its usually warm anyway

Why would it need something on the top? Doesn’t the air flow need an exit or am I misunderstanding your question?

I see your point, but any steam that gets 'generated" from the hobs underneath, goes through the extractor fan (with new filter before it hits the fan), gets routed up the funnel - I'm sure that's the wrong word - and out through the hole at the top. No cover, no nothing. Literally just a hole.
It's against an inner kitchen wall, with about 24" clearance to the ceiling. It means that all the steam is concentrated at that one point....
Yes, it may be correct, but if so, what's the point of it?!

Edit : just googling about extractors. I should've made it clear that our unit - donkeys years old - is on an inside wall, with no vent to outside. So is it a "recirculating" job?

Last edited:
I see your point, but any steam that gets 'generated" from the hobs underneath, goes through the extractor fan (with new filter before it hits the fan), gets routed up the funnel - I'm sure that's the wrong word - and out through the hole at the top. No cover, no nothing. Literally just a hole.
It's against an inner kitchen wall, with about 24" clearance to the ceiling. It means that all the steam is concentrated at that one point....
Yes, it may be correct, but if so, what's the point of it?!

Edit : just googling about extractors. I should've made it clear that our unit - donkeys years old - is on an inside wall, with no vent to outside. So is it a "recirculating" job?
It certainly sounds like it, otherwise where would the extracted air go?

Yeah they pull it through the filter which traps grease and apparently odours and then sprays the filtered air back into the room.

I find them ineffectual so for my own kitchen I vent the extracted air through ducting. I also have stainless mesh filter grease traps which are dishwasher safe to stop the need to buy filters.

Not much help to you though

It certainly sounds like it, otherwise where would the extracted air go?

Granted, but I would've expected some kind of grill, perhaps with another filter of some type? Don't get me wrong, I do see the need for an exit, but it just seems a bit 'unfinished', that was all!

Most of the ones around here have a little cap on the top to prevent ingress of rain.
The one we have, which came from IKEA, has an internal flap valve to stop cold air sinking down the"flue".

the models i had back in the 80's just had a hole at the back and at the top - with a plate you could move to cover the hole so if vented outside - could be rear or top mounted , and you just covered the hole you did not want to use

No filter , just an finished hole....

we had the charcoal filter in the unit - and if you removed that - then it would be expected to be connected to ducting to an outside vent

we also had other filters , on the first set of grills ,- grease i think before the charcoal filter , which you just took out and washed to clean

I think it was an AEG extractor i used in both cases - but so long ago now

With all due respect Cozzer,...The outlet of different extractor/recirculating cooker hoods varies, depending on the model & manufacturer.
On the cheaper hoods, there is often just a hole.
Having said that, on most examples, there would be some sort of plastic adapter that comes with the hood when it was delivered that clips or screws into position and depending on the age of the hood itself, the adapter would allow the connection of 100mm or 120mm or 150mm ducting.
Some models, usually the better quality models, can have a damper in them to prevent backdrafts when the hood is not activated.

Most of the ones around here have a little cap on the top to prevent ingress of rain.
The one we have, which came from IKEA, has an internal flap valve to stop cold air sinking down the"flue".

Thankfully, we don't get much rain in the kitchen! :giggle:

With all due respect Cozzer,...The outlet of different extractor/recirculating cooker hoods varies, depending on the model & manufacturer.
On the cheaper hoods, there is often just a hole.
Having said that, on most examples, there would be some sort of plastic adapter that comes with the hood when it was delivered that clips or screws into position and depending on the age of the hood itself, the adapter would allow the connection of 100mm or 120mm or 150mm ducting.
Some models, usually the better quality models, can have a damper in them to prevent backdrafts when the hood is not activated.

Cheers, Disinterior... yes, it could well be a 'cheapo', although the original hob underneath was a good brand - I say 'was', because it died when my beloved dropped a jar of Marmite on it! - and a Neff oven under that.
Who 'Beat' were, I don't know, but since the original post I've found that Schreiber used the same 'model number' on their hoods, along with Hygena!

Ours has a cap over the hole at the top and vents in the side to let the filtered air out, and I suppose diffuse it rather than firing it straight at the ceiling. It actually came with two flues, one with the holes in the side and one without. The top of the hood is square and has both a side and top hole in a removeable outlet. So you can choose to vent horizontally in any of four directions, or straight up. The square section flue fits over the top. Cant remember the manufacturer, will have to have a look. Where it is it could only easily be vented to the outside by taking the outlet out sideways and running it along at the junction of the ceiling and the wall. Wasnt keen on that look so fitted it with the vented flue, and the cap at the top of the flue in contact with the ceiling. It has washable filters. It works well enough in recirculation mode. If we are doing anything particularly steamy we resort to the traditional approach, and open a window 🙂

Well, I've been in the kitchen business for 41 years now,....and I've never heard of " Beat".....🤔

Well, now you have!

beat.jpg

I suppose it could be 'BEOT'....?

Back