Aquarium Stand and hood - FINISHED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promhandicam

Established Member
Reaction score
One of my other interests, apart from woodwork, is keeping tropical fish - usually catching them locally too '8)'. Over the last few years I've built several aquaria and stands, but have been limited to relatively small ones as I could only get 6mm glass. When we came here to Togo I brought out a 5' long 125 gallon aquarium made from 10mm thick glass, and I've finally started building a stand and hood.

Apart from the aquarium, I also brought out about 20 solid oak kitchen doors and draw fronts - bought on ebay for the princely sum of £5. Some of these have been put aside for a sideboard, and the rest I will use for the aquarium stand.
98727483049f3b04bf4d37cdc44bf285ff180125b4387e0bd57d7f3e54bee476889b63de.jpg

Rant - I have to say that I really have a hard time in the UK with the profligate waste of the consumer society that, in my opinion, is totally out of control. I know that some on the forum make their living from fitting kitchens but I really struggle to comprehend how people can rip out a £15K kitchen because they don't like the shape of the doors or the colour of the worktops. The doors I bought would likely have gone in a skip if I hadn't won them. Probably a good number of these people who think nothing of chucking a perfectly good solid wood kitchen in a skip also claim to be concerned about the environment! Having lived for many years in developing countries where for the majority of people their 'kitchen' is 3 bricks with a pot on the top and some wood underneath, I realise that my views may seem somewhat extreme, but maybe this might make someone think twice before chucking something out.
Rant over.

OK, assuming you are still with me, onto the project! The stand is made from a mixture of 19mm MDF and plywood - The top and vertical sections are MDF and the base is 2 thicknesses of 15 mm ply. I would have probably used all MDF but it was the last of what I brought out and you can't buy it here.
The whole lot is sat on a plinth made from MDF. The structure has to be very solid as when full the aquarium weighs in at around 550kg. The base was put together with biscuits, pocket hole screw and glue.
040321849a51760f87698c8032fb474d2bc10cc0c04c8bb4091f9e0f826a1ccd98d147ac.jpg

The doors came with hinges but not the part that fixes to the carcase, but I managed to dismantle them, drill a hole in the back - there was one already - and screw it directly to the carcase rather than having it clip in place. Works fine. The base is more or less finished other than trim that has to be fixed above the doors - false doors fixed to the end panels and then finishing.
545872462b21ed95417dc8f6d73ff613f2759b37c56c3198f8ad15f5d57ae0d2cbcce347.jpg

The next stage is to make a hood to house the lights and finish off the top.
I had two doors approx 900mm long and 600 wide - the width of the tank.
170407104c645f111b6ff9d68594e0f14d653b42260124050bc4c36bef5219a70ca1530f.jpg

These I dismantled, squared off and then reassembled as one 1500mm panel.
770698100aa23bd9eacbcb1a3ca2d2405105d1adde2ca0a1e6b21b0143c9ac9d53df6167.jpg

The remaining doors were also dismantled and run through the p/t to get the finish off. I also used a router with a 3/8 round over bit in the router table to clean up the edges.
6657096408a672a6d089b560d0b90fe93a6a055e7406135fc0a90998aa34ff6bdfc30459.jpg

I am now at the stage of glueing up all the bits to make a frame that will sit on the top of the aquarium to which the panel will be fixed with hinges along the back.
726617298bc365806b3e9e39473bd9371450869ad6e268cced60cfe76fbee078a2fdafde.jpg

So that is it for now. Hopefully will get some more done at the weekend.

Cheers,

Steve

That's looking great, Steve - and thanks for the excellent lesson in effective recycling.

I'm fully with you in your rant. When I go to our local dump I see people throwing away better stuff than I have at home :shock: :shock:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Steve, nice job and I agree there is a lot of waste over here.
A lot is down to the trades , when I have challenged why the skip on a site has so much good material in it I'm either told to 'go away' or "don't worry mate the customers' paying for it :evil:

I make a lot of these bases for a chap who sells salt water fish,have you thought of putting a cornice about the same height as the plinth around the top it would hide base of the tank and its glue joint.

Dom

DomValente":35kaahoi said:
snip - have you thought of putting a cornice about the same height as the plinth around the top it would hide base of the tank and its glue joint. Dom

Hi Dom. Thanks for your comments. The cornice is what I'm working on now and will integral to the frame for the top panel. Hopefully all will be revealed soon.

As to your comment about the trades, I agree that they are a big contributory factor although they respond to customer demand. Some years back I worked for a company doing office refurbishments. One job we did was to put partitioning into a large open office. The landlord had laid carpet tiles through the whole space - apparently so that he could then charge a higher rent. The new tenants didn't like the colour so before we did anything else we had to take up all the brand new carpet tiles. We filled a 6yd skip just with the tiles that were cut! The rest we tried to find takers for, but in the end we couldn't afford to store them so they got dumped too. I guess that at least with ebay there is the chance of selling on stuff that would otherwise be dumped, but I suppose for people in the trade it is often too much hassle, plus the above mentioned storage problems.

Take care,

Steve

steve looks good 8) , and must say i agree with your rant too.

i think though that if many of the so called environmentalists actually had to spend even a month living with real people in the real 3rd world, they would completely change their minds about the stupidity of certain things we do.

one reason we chuck so much stuff away is because it is too cheap.
and the other is sheer bloody laziness.

i am inheriting a newish sofa, so took an old armchair to the local recycling centre, get told to put it in the landfill skip :? i guess that says it all, that and the fact that they have a wood skip.
i guess we can but hope that the wood will at least be made into manmade boards :roll:

us amateurs are actually almost all doing some kind of re-cycling, in my case i tend to by offcuts lying around for the real wood, and then massage that into what i want. the wood yard might well otherwise burn it :cry:

anyway success to you in your efforts out there.

paul :wink:

Well I finally finished the work off this weekend. Overall I'm very happy and what is more the LOML says that she really likes it too :eek:

49261900c5bade6f53df002025babd29b609d719bc1f2f2f02ec1cc6ec8198265f705f48.jpg

It took a bit longer using the reclaimed doors and I decided in the end to strip everything back to bare wood and start again which took a bit more time but I think that it was worth the effort.

750653018f38d7099a22138b1b47c2d03d6c765c171bce03c5222da63df44b153224e448.jpg

The only thing that I want to add is a support for the lid - similar to the sort of thing that holds the lid up on a piano (or the bonnet on a car) as the lid is rather heavy to hold when feeding the fish and I don't want to have to move the picture that is above the aquarium so as to be able to rest the lid against the wall.

Thanks for looking,

Steve

sur eyou could find an old peugeot out there steve, and take the station wagon rear door support off to use :lol:

looks nice mate.

in view of your recycling comments the above might work though :roll:

paul :wink:

I'm very impressed with the aquarium stand and really nice size aquarium too! (not jealous at all [-( )

Wanting a solid timber aquarium stand was what got me into wood working last year, but mine is nowhere as good as that.

Cheers
Steve

lovely job. another hobby i'd like to pursue....... one day

Steve, that looks really good.
I know naff all about fish but I am fascinated by aquaria.
Yours is classy!
Cheers.

SF

Back