New to Carpentry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark-J

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all :)

I'm a 47 year old man (better late than never as they say) living in Wales and long story short, I've decided to learn carpentry as a hobby and as therapy (I'm currently in therapy).

I'm very new to the trade - very new - and whilst I've always wanted to try my hand at making things out of wood, it's only recently when I considered making my own wargaming table, that I decided I really would like to learn carpentry. Perhaps now is the right time for me. That's why I joined this particular forum.

To that end, could someone recommend a good introductory book on carpentry for newcomers? I'd like to get to the level where I can make simply kitchen chairs, a simple table, that kind of thing. Very basic chairs and tables of course.

Also, is it possible to learn carpentry by yourself? I don't get out of the house much due to mental health so although joining an evening adult class might be ideal (last time I looked there were no such courses however), it's just not really an option right now.

Also, tools. A tape measurer, a saw, hammer and nails, and the trusty pencil, and that's about my experience with them, so I'm hoping that introductory book on carpentry will guide me through all that.

My dream is to build my own shed to house my wargaming things, which amongst other things, will include an 8' x 5' wargaming table.

Thanks all :)

(Note: I have posted this on two other carpentry forums for maximum help, I hope this doesn't contravene any regulations)

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Take a look at Paul Sellers on YouTube.
I believe he might also have published books and a dvd series that are available.

I'd also take a look at the for sale section. People are always selling books that could come in handy.

Hi Mark,

Very much a beginner myself and I've found Woodwork: A step by step photographic guide by Colin Eden-Eadon (Dorling Kindersley) very useful.

Covers various tools and techniques in a manner that I found easy to understand.

Also has various projects (tables etc) of increasing complexity as your skills improve.

Although a book is no substitute for hands on experience it does give you a basic grounding and should get you pointing in the right direction for more detailed assistance.

Best of luck.

Never too late, look on eBay for an old jack plane which is a good all rounder and a few chisels. Get some old pallets if ya can or some scrap wood and start with a simple project like a saw horse or tool box, 2 things that will get lots of use for sure. There's also stacks of videos on YouTube from simple how 2s to full on big projects.

Good luck

Hi Mark. At 47 you're hardly over the hill. I'm 21 myself. Have been for the last 20 odd years.
I bought the Paul Sellers book, 'Working Wood' (without the dvd set) and it's excellent for a beginner like me. It's clear, well written and photographed. It guides you through various projects from making a spoon right up to furniture as well as the associated techniques needed to complete them. Lots of useful stuff on sharpening, practicalities and tools that you don't find in some books and really just a general good way to approach what you're setting out to do. According to many the 'bible' of woodworking is 'The Technique of Furniture Making' by Ernest Joyce.
There's also loads of information on this site, from buying your first tools to the most complex questions and plenty of people who are generous in spirit and the sharing of their knowledge. Take a little time to search some of the forums.
I got a little swamped trying to understand everything at once when I first started out. I still do tbh. It's a character flaw. If I said one thing, it would be get started actually knocking a few hand tools together and doing some woodwork. You don't need much. (But that's another issue. :D ).
Welcome aboard the learning curve. It's a curve as steep as you want to make it.
As long as you are enjoying it it's working.

Great stuff

Thanks all very much for the advice, it's much appreciated :)

Hi Mark, I'm very much a woodworking beginner I pretty much find I learn by observation and then practical application after studying how things are done. ( Monkey see, Monkey ponder, Monkey do).
I am a model maker primarily and have done my fair share of wargaming in the past, which prompted my interest in amongst other things cnc routers.
I suffered an injury which then lead on to me developing depression and anxiety, which then lead me down to some pretty dark places. Thankfully I had support of family and friends long story short, 2 years on and I'm currently "getting better" which although I don't ever think i'll be that person I was before I was ill, I'll be doing my damnedest to bare those scars.
I lost my fine motor skills and my ability to concentrate on anything really, which to be quite frank, compounded my frustrations I stopped building models and I'm currently re learning my abilities using of all things woodworking, granted I've only built a couple of things and I'm currently building a shed but each bit is a small victory. one thing I would impart to you is don't be overcritical of yourself. that was the hardest thing for me to overcome, stick with it, you'll get there.
Finally I'd like to say well done for being so open, It's Bloody hard enough fighting your own mind, nevermind having to overcome the stigma that is attached with mental health.

I'm also new to carpentry, and I'm 30, just starting out and loving it, age means nothing, I can relate to your story having had similar problems with mental health, woodworking so far has been amazing therapy. Anyway I'd recommend 'working wood part 1 & 2' by paul sellers, it has got me into learning about old handtools, sharpening saws and learning skills that are dying out, he has such a great teaching style that is so easy to understand, for me as a begginer it's perfect, plus he's from stockport like me.

RickN":1myy4ypg said:
Hi Mark, I'm very much a woodworking beginner I pretty much find I learn by observation and then practical application after studying how things are done. ( Monkey see, Monkey ponder, Monkey do).
I am a model maker primarily and have done my fair share of wargaming in the past, which prompted my interest in amongst other things cnc routers.
I suffered an injury which then lead on to me developing depression and anxiety, which then lead me down to some pretty dark places. Thankfully I had support of family and friends long story short, 2 years on and I'm currently "getting better" which although I don't ever think i'll be that person I was before I was ill, I'll be doing my damnedest to bare those scars.
I lost my fine motor skills and my ability to concentrate on anything really, which to be quite frank, compounded my frustrations I stopped building models and I'm currently re learning my abilities using of all things woodworking, granted I've only built a couple of things and I'm currently building a shed but each bit is a small victory. one thing I would impart to you is don't be overcritical of yourself. that was the hardest thing for me to overcome, stick with it, you'll get there.
Finally I'd like to say well done for being so open, It's Bloody hard enough fighting your own mind, nevermind having to overcome the stigma that is attached with mental health.
Hi Rick

Thanks for the kind words and advice

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I know how you feel though. I hope you continue to get better and well done for keeping at it.

thetyreman":1wm9z4i2 said:
I'm also new to carpentry, and I'm 30, just starting out and loving it, age means nothing, I can relate to your story having had similar problems with mental health, woodworking so far has been amazing therapy. Anyway I'd recommend 'working wood part 1 & 2' by paul sellers, it has got me into learning about old handtools, sharpening saws and learning skills that are dying out, he has such a great teaching style that is so easy to understand, for me as a begginer it's perfect, plus he's from stockport like me.
Thanks for the recommendations on books (I'm starting to build a handy library) and advice

Welcome Mark. You've done the right thing joining this forum - you'll find people very supportive and helpful. After about 35 years of woodworking, I'm still learning things on here myself.
Good luck with your projects - and enjoy it.

So how expensive can this hobby get?

I can imagine there's a lot of tools I'll need to buy. I'll obviously start small at first, and build from there. But if I was first looking to build say, a simple table 4' x 3' table, what would I be looking to get?

Also, wood. Where would I buy wood from? I believe pine is popular?

How expensive is up to you really. The big questions are 1. Do you really need it, or is it want it?
2. Hand tools or power tools, or both?
3. Dust .. look after your lungs.

Paul sellers video on you tube recommended Aldi chisels as an example of cheap. They were £7.99 for a set. Although not veritas they are good enough for him therefore I bought a set on the back of his recommendation. The net result is sharpened properly he was spot on.
At the opposite end of the spectrum festool kapex mitre saw big wodge of cash and from reading about it on the interWeb it has its issues... mind you saying that I splurged a similar amount on a fancy bosch one with a fancy gimble arm as it reminded me of the smart gun from Aliens the film 8) .
The crux of it is want and need. I do use the big bosch beasty a lot and although it's expensive It does what I need it to do.
Yes you could argue a hand saw will do the same job and may suit others, but in my current position it's value is measured by saved frustration.
Everyone is different as is everyone's opinions hence why I adopted a trawl forums and you tube approach to garner a feel for what's good and what's going to end with the "buy cheap buy twice" addage.
Wood is a really broad spectrum thing. I personally tend to go to my local woodyard as has been mentioned on these forums being honest and approaching the staff with "I'm a newbie and not in the trade,just starting off in woodworking as a hobby and could do with a little help in choosing stuff" type approach will tell you two things.
If they want your business and if your going to go back as a repeat customer.
I did this and recieved a positive response. I have however been to places been grunted at, and never darkened their doors again....
I've progressed from stuffing the car to getting my first delivery which was very exciting lol. Doubly chuffed as my sketchup design derived materials list was near as dammit spot on.
I'm also lucky enough to have a source of free pallets which having learned how to dismantle them effeciently from the Oracle of You tube has become a growing pile of potential stuff in my garage. Currently a shed door and two gates are in that pile.

Hi Mark.

Im also new to the forum and woodwork at the age of 50 and am using it to learn patience and temper management. Although I have a technical background and my rough carpentry skills arnt bad (stud walls and other first fix) sort of stuff. I want to learn the craft side the skill and make beautiful thing that have bee finished with care and patience.

Ive learnt, and am learning from here and youtube so far. Im also picking up lots of help from a local woodturning club. Once you feel able to get out, plese try this. You will find hundres of years worth of experience from people who have been working in the trade most of their lives, you will also get to buy most if not all of the tools and machinery that you want second hand.

My club also has a mentoring system and I have my own mentor whow will come visit for a chat and a cuppa.

Good luck.

Mark

Thanks all for the advice, I appreciate it all

Aside from getting used to feel of wood and tools in my hands and just being familiar with the all round very basics of how to hold this and how to saw that etc, what would you suggest I make for my first project, a simple shelf? A pair of book stands?

EDIT: How do you 'thank' someone so that it registers on their profile?

Back