need some help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buster30

Reaction score
hi iv been watching turning vids on youtube for weeks now. last sunday i bit the bullet and drove to leeds from dumfriesshire in scotland and paid £200 for a union jubilee in good nick. no nasty sounds and came with a few bits and bobs. i think my cars dropped a couple of inches thou :)
the prob is its phase 3 and says on a brass plate 400/440v i cant afford most inverters and the ones i can say 240v.
there is one on ebay i'm looking at the item number is 261577412846
that one lets me control the speed and its what i can afford i cant wait to get turning.
can someone please have a look and if its any good. i don't know what to look for.
sorry my names derek by the way and i work in the forestry industry i can get wood no prob so if anyones local il drop some off next time i'm going your way ayrshire/dumfriesshire and lanarkshire sometimes.
thanks

Hi,

Not my area of expertise at all but I will have a go :) A 415v 3 phase is usually configured in a 'star' config. It may be possible to change to a 'delta' config by changing wires in the terminal box. Not all motors can be easily configured as delta as the necessary connections may be embedded in the motor and not in the terminal box. It is possible for a professional to convert 415v motors to delta by picking the windings apart to expose the start points as terminals but not a job for the amateur I would think.

To tell what kind of motor you have you need to look in the terminal box. A motor that supports delta has six terminals in the box. Assuming you are lucky and you have 6 terminals in the box then I 'think' you can use a 240v inverter. Otherwise you need an inverter with a transformer to get the 415v, these are a lot more expensive :( If your motor does not support delta changing the motor may well be your best bet. Try http://www.newton-tesla.co.uk/ but it will get spendy.

Technically I think you can run a 415v start motor with a 240v inverter but the torque will be very low and you may get all sorts of issues so I don't think this is a sensible option.

I am sure somebody with more knowledge in this area will come along and tell me I am talking tosh.

BM

The motor you have will be 400 volt only a lot of the older motors were not duel voltage, its got to be a 400v inverter or change the motor and switch.

A cheaper way would be to swap the motor for 1 phase 240v, of course you won't have variable speed but it will get you up and running

Thanks for all the info guys. I had a look at the point were the cable go's into the motor there is a round part with to screws to hold the lid on. We'll inside there was an earth not connected and 4 black wires joined onto 4 red wires coming from the motor. Bit of a rats nest. I think il just go for the 400 watt inverter I spoke to some company on eBay that deals in them and gave me a price of £270 for 400v inverter and something called a pod at £50 then the postage. The guy I got it from just plugged it in to some sort of box and away it went

I think I've found one I've anyone has the time can you have a look on eBay at this for me the item number is 121419562140. Thanks again

Back