Narex woodturning chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djellworth

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good evening. As above - has anyone used these chisels. I have for bench joinery and they are great value but no idea if this translates to turning.

Thanks in advance.

(Also for some reason loads of woodturning chisels (Sorby in particular) seem to be out of stock all over the place??

General consensus Narex are good, especially their bit more expensive range, but... the same people rate Marples as good chisels.. not me...
Not gonna start with what I've got, but in my "preference scale" :
Easy to sharpen-1
good ergonomics-2
Value for money-3

and whatever you do, prior to settling on any of them littery have one or couple of sizes in you hand and play with.. if you like it- feels good in awkward angles to hold, "trim etc- they'll be good choice for a while, as IE Marples they feel crazy unergonomic, hence I couldn't live with them for a long time, not a lifetime tool

They look a lot like the generic cheap chinese turning tools which are of extremely low quality. The gouge appears to be made from a flat bar rather than the more usual round bar. Also, according to their own description, they are made from CR Mn high carbon steel which won't hold its edge anywhere near as long as M2 or M42 high speed steel. Another website describes CR Mn steel as "a commonly used grade of low-quality tool steel and steel for measuring tools". That may be acceptable for woodworking chisels but perhaps not the best choice for turning tools as technology has moved on a great deal!

If I were you I would go for one of the sheffield tool makers, you can't go wrong with those.

Last edited:
They look a lot like the generic cheap chinese turning tools which are of extremely low quality. The gouge appears to be made from a flat bar rather than the more usual round bar. Also, according to their own description, they are made from CR Mn high carbon steel which won't hold its edge anywhere near as long as M2 or M42 high speed steel. Another website describes CR Mn steel as "a commonly used grade of low-quality tool steel and steel for measuring tools". That may be acceptable for woodworking chisels but perhaps not the best choice for turning tools as technology has moved on a great deal!

If I were you I would go for one of the sheffield tool makers, you can't go wrong with those.
Narex tools are Czech, they also have several "lines' of tools. Pro, standard and mini.
They don't tell you the composition of the steel, where are you getting Cr Mn from?

Never knew they did turning tools so googled them. The pic shows Cr Mn on the blades. Dont know if thats good for turning or not.
Narex Woodturning Lathe Chisels – Set of 6 pcs – BigaMart
That said just from the pic the set itself looks a bit ho hum. Short blades, cheap ferrules and what will you do with 4 skews that all look the same size. Narex bench chisels are good enough but it looks like marketing has decided to try sell turning tools without any turning knowhow.
Regards
John

The pro line look a bit better but even the base line set was overpriced for what you get. Looks like you have to contact Narex for price as I could not see it anywhere for the pro line.
Regards
John

I did find a few places that sold them but they are more than I want to consider spending when for a little more I can get Thompson tools, unhandled but that isn't a big problem.

Pete

Back