Letter carving chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linwoodjoinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all. This thread starting off in jigs etc as I was looking to do these with a ‘router’. I have now decided I am going to have a stab at doing these by hand. I’ve over 30 years as a joiner so I can use a chisel but carving is new to me. Has anyone got any recommendations/links for a few chisels to get me started while I create some fire wood with letters in! Any comments, tips, suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance all.

Morning all. This thread starting off in jigs etc as I was looking to do these with a ‘router’. I have now decided I am going to have a stab at doing these by hand. I’ve over 30 years as a joiner so I can use a chisel but carving is new to me. Has anyone got any recommendations/links for a few chisels to get me started while I create some fire wood with letters in! Any comments, tips, suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance all.
Nice vid here Carving Letters in Wood - Letter Carving Basics - FineWoodworking
Start with the chisels you've already got?

I've done a bit of this on commemorative gates etc, The carver Chris Pye has systematised a method of carving Tragan's Column style Roman letters, with sets of gouges to match . You can download the font from off t'internet.
I started out using Charles H Haywards book - Practical Woodcarving and Gilding - which is as good a starting place as any.

Thanks both. Interesting video. I keep hearing about Chris Pye’s book but it seems hard to get hold of for a reasonable amount - if anyone is selling one please let me know. I will also have a search for Charles H Haywood book now. I have plenty chisels but they’re all Mortice or bevel edge straight chisels. If anyone wants a set of new Marples bevel edge chisels in a box as a swap for some appropriate chisels for carving letters and numbers then please just drop me a message. And also if anyone has any recommendations or links for appropriate chisels then please add to the post.

Last edited:
I don't have experience of letter carving specifically but I did buy some small Henry Taylor carving chisels about 35 years ago. Carbon steel, not hss. Used infrequently but they are a joy to use and handle. They do a huge range, maybe even boxed starter sets. Try their website or download their catalogue. If you manage to pick up a physical copy of their catalogue, hours can pass in wishful browsing. You do see Henry Taylor tools on ebay and with your experience sharpening shouldn't be a problem. You might need a slipstone to de burr the inside or gouges. I think Robert Sorby and Ashley Isles also do carving chisels so maybe seek out all 3 brands. Axminster might sell some as well.

I don't have experience of letter carving specifically but I did buy some small Henry Taylor carving chisels about 35 years ago. Carbon steel, not hss. Used infrequently but they are a joy to use and handle. They do a huge range, maybe even boxed starter sets. Try their website or download their catalogue. If you manage to pick up a physical copy of their catalogue, hours can pass in wishful browsing. You do see Henry Taylor tools on ebay and with your experience sharpening shouldn't be a problem. You might need a slipstone to de burr the inside or gouges. I think Robert Sorby and Ashley Isles also do carving chisels so maybe seek out all 3 brands. Axminster might sell some as well.
Thanks Richard. Looks like my Sunday evening is sorted 😉👍🏻

You could also take a look at Pfeil, stocked by Classic Hand tools. They are the gouges that all of the professional woodcarvers that I know use for letter cutting.

If you get stuck I have some vintage carving chisels and could be interested in the marples you have

They are mainly gouges

I tend to stick paper prints of what I want to carve on wood and carve the letters out through the paper if that’s any help

If you get stuck I have some vintage carving chisels and could be interested in the marples you have

They are mainly gouges

I tend to stick paper prints of what I want to carve on wood and carve the letters out through the paper if that’s any help
Thanks Christeve
Yes I’d certainly be interested in some gouges. Drop me a PM if it’s easier. The set of new Marples I have are the same as this I think (would have to double check as it’s a while since I’ve opened the box but I can’t see they would have changed the set they sell).

https://www.toolden.co.uk/hand-tool...MIuJac5dqmgAMVlt_tCh2fewOLEAQYDCABEgI_hfD_BwE

Carved with 3/4" Stanley bevel edged chisel and Stanley knife.
Material French Oak.
The process was slow, steady, and very therapeutic.

Attachments

• Chez-Carroux-3.jpg
    Chez-Carroux-3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back