My Sitooterie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Chris

I nailed the ends of the rafters down into the headers and skew nailed into the ridge. I'm going to fix tie beams across each set of rafters with further angled ties up to the rafters on each side. There is a box purlin just visible on the right side of the roof in the last photo which has angle braces at each end to stop everything flopping over - I may put more angle braces in the ceiling along the ridge line too. And I haven't yet fixed king and queen posts into the end gables.

I expected comments on the light roof structure. Because I'm essentially doing this on my own I didn't (couldn't?) fancy lugging huge lumps of timber around at the top of a ladder so I decided on a lightweight design with lots of cross-bracing. I'm very open to comments and suggestions on whether I'm doing it the right way - please!!

Cheers

Paul

(Edit - You've got me worried now Chris! After a bit of Googling I'm going to fix galvanised straps to the ends of the rafters where they meet the headers)

I'm a bit worried, as the roof structure does look light, especially for you in Scotland where you do get snow and high winds,

so yes cross beams are needed, the lower the better,

I wouldn't do the straps but 100mm coach screws (counter sink the head)

are you boarding the roof?

I wasn't going to board the roof but put a membrane down and counter batten with 75x25 timber Chris.

You're right that Scotland generally has snow but in the SW it's a bit of a rarity - we do get occasional strong winds but, again, not often. Our little valley is quite sheltered otherwise I would have considered a heavier roof.

I've already screwed straps onto every joist end - first thing I did this morning! But I will also go round tomorrow with coach screws - thanks for that - something else I've learned :)

Mcluma":3dtwlh6h said:
Just make sure you overdue it a bit, as its harder to correct it later on!

Thanks very much for your input Chris. You've made me think twice about a lot of my design - and that's a good thing!

Having looked at a few 'off the shelf' garden buildings I'm pretty sure my design is now bomb proof by comparison - and about 60% cheaper :lol:

Cheers

Paul

Paul200":21iraqbx said:
Mcluma":21iraqbx said:
Just make sure you overdue it a bit, as its harder to correct it later on!

Thanks very much for your input Chris. You've made me think twice about a lot of my design - and that's a good thing!

Having looked at a few 'off the shelf' garden buildings I'm pretty sure my design is now bomb proof by comparison - and about 60% cheaper :lol:

Cheers

Paul

Cheaper without doubt and what you have build sofar is excellent, just don't drop the ball and start cutting corners, i so much prefer the use of screws over nails, especially when doing stud work

Mcluma":2jhgu8ox said:
Cheaper without doubt and what you have build sofar is excellent, just don't drop the ball and start cutting corners, i so much prefer the use of screws over nails, especially when doing stud work

Funny you should say that - on every stud wall I've built to date I've used screws for the same reason, but since I sold my tool shop I've had this gas nailer sitting around. This build is the biggest project I've attempted and I thought 'Why not? Might save some time'. But I've had a niggle at the back of my mind all the time - especially as the 90mm nails are not ring shanked.

Once this is done I've got a workshop to build so the nailgun may be shelved - my own space has to be done properly after all (hammer)

Collars are in, ceiling's up and a wall panel installed. Amazing how the whole structure stiffens up when the walls go in.

IMG_0606b.jpg

I decided to put the ceiling up before sorting out the roof because it's a lot easier to lay the insulation from above than below. All I need now is one good day weather wise to sort out the roof. In the meantime I've got seven Georgian sash windows to modify and make frames for. These were donated by a neighbour who ordered them some years ago and they turned up the wrong size - he's had them in his garage since. They're in excellent nick and, apart from the mods to turn them into individual top hung casements, just need cleaning and a fresh coat of paint. Hat off to the makers - even if they can't measure!

Had to take time out to knock back the bloomin grass - can't someone come up with a genetic mutation that doesn't grow :roll:

Attachments

• IMG_0606b.jpg
    IMG_0606b.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,055
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the post,I thought that I was the only one who still used that word (SITOOTERIE)a good old Ayrshire word.
Have you tried watering the grass with alcohol???They say it then grows HAWF CUT.

PETER

Cheers Peter & Chris

Progress has been zero for the last couple of days - constant rain sent me indoors to do jobs around the 'project' (sorry 'house'!) - I don't enjoy it half as much as the sitooterie!

I've put coach screws into all the rafter ends now and my next job is to install bolts through the collars and other cross-members just to beef it all up - thanks again Chris :D I did consider putting another couple of ties across at a lower level (and I think you would probably advise that) but having looked at all the diagonals and struts up there (with my admittedly inexperienced but instinctual) eye I don't believe they are necessary. If I'm proved wrong I'll be the first to let you know mate!

Thoroughly enjoying this build and really glad I decided to let everyone see what I was doing and invite helpful comments - I'd recommend it to anyone.

The sitooterie's not looking too clever in it's rainwear though .......
IMG_0608b.jpg

In fact it looks a lot like the original tin shed - just without a tree on it! And that's kind of what we wanted to achieve.

Attachments

• IMG_0608b.jpg
    IMG_0608b.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,402
Rain stopped play. That and having a house full of window fitters for most of the week - our cottage was bought 8 months ago in the knowledge that all of our windows needed replacing. Having seen what SW Scotland's weather can do to wooden windows we went off piste and had UPVC sliding sashes installed. Time will tell but can't fault them so far. And those few that survived 20 years of the worst that Dumfries and Galloway could hurl at them will be re-used in sheds, workshops and .... Sitooteries!

It's only when I sit down and write up what's happened that I realise quite how much has, haphazardly, been achieved. Being retired and working at my own pace has lulled me into thinking I'm getting nowhere fast. It's an eye-opener to be able to keep track of things on this WIP.

A rare dry spell allowed me to take off the big plastic rain hat, stuff the rockwool in and get a membrane on top.
IMG_0609b.jpg

IMG_0610b.jpg

In the meantime my ever helpful wife has been tidying up and painting the re-purposed Georgian sashes that were donated by our neighbour. Upside down offcuts of decking board make excellent sills.
IMG_0615b.jpg

IMG_0616b.jpg

These two were placed high up in the back wall of the building to provide a hide to watch squirrels and deer up the hill and the wall was then clad with 19mm boards.
IMG_0620b.jpg

Counter-battens on the roof are completed and the real bonus from our house window replacement, a pair of doors from a 'Juliet' balcony, have been fitted to the side of the sitooterie.
IMG_0621b.jpg

It's interesting how the different orientation of windows around our house has affected their survival - or not. These softwood doors have survived 20 years of weather by virtue of being ever so slightly sheltered by the angle of the house - compared to these .....
IMG_0612b.jpg

I really need to get a roof on now but my wife is clamouring for more work so I'll be building frames for the 1m square Georgian sashes that will become top hung casements - eventually.

Slainte!

Attachments

• IMG_0609b.jpg
    IMG_0609b.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,258
  • IMG_0610b.jpg
    IMG_0610b.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,258
  • IMG_0615b.jpg
    IMG_0615b.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,258
  • IMG_0616b.jpg
    IMG_0616b.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,258
  • IMG_0620b.jpg
    IMG_0620b.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,258
  • IMG_0621b.jpg
    IMG_0621b.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,258
  • IMG_0612b.jpg
    IMG_0612b.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,257
Thanks Chris. I saw your post on roof overhang after I'd cut mine to 200mm. Wish I'd seen it beforehand! 200mm is OK but 300mm would be so much better in our climate and I'll bear this in mind when I get round to my workshop. I also like your idea to clad the walls as an 'infill' between heavy section corner posts - it looks very nice.

Cheers

Paul

North Wood":1k2kh8x0 said:
The roof overhang running inline with the deck below is a nice detail, really brings it all together.

I came up with this design after weeks of doodling all manner of outlandish and 'arty' designs, most of which would have cost a fortune and been a nightmare to build. Simple is best and, with an eye to the fact that we live in a National Scenic Area, is probably all we could get away with! We wanted somewhere that made the most of the view and allowed us to spy on the wildlife without scaring them off. You will know all about the weather involved here North Wood - so if we were to 'sit oot' we would need to have a roof over our heads and it evolved from there. Dimensions were dictated by the existing concrete base and the sizes of the door and windows so, in the end, the design was made for us really! The heavy, agricultural look mimics the tractor shed that was here before and helps it blend with the landscape - everyone's happy! (And that reminds me - I need to take some photos from along the lane to see just how it blends in).

Slainte!

Paul

Latest posts

Back