Shed sliding door track

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomGW

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m in the early stages of constructing a lean-to shed at the back of my garage/workshop, to keep the various lawnmowers, leaf lifters, garden tools, cement mixer, ladders etc. Just a simple garden shed to create more space in the man cave. It will be vertical timber sheeting with a concrete floor and non-drip, black, profiled metal roof. My preference is to have a wide sliding door to give ease of access as I really don’t have room to open a wide hinged door.
I have been looking for a simple, external door track and hangers/rollers, suitable for a light timber door. With the current fad for having this style of internal door in houses I can’t find a simple solution for external use. Plenty of industrial systems for huge, heavy doors and plenty of fancy ‘rustic’ solutions for your kitchen but I can’t find a simple track for a garden shed.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Many thanks.

I made a rack for my clamps several years ago and went with a heavy duty type to handle the combined weight of multiple clamps. You could have the track upto 4 meters in length and although it’s internal I see no reason why it wouldn’t work outside ( with a coating of light grease. Unfortunately I just can’t remember the company I got it from but I do recall searching for heavy duty sliding door rails . The bottom of the rack is in a simple wooden retainer.

Attachments

• IMG_1074.jpeg
    IMG_1074.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1078.jpeg
    IMG_1078.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1077.jpeg
    IMG_1077.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
For simple, consider using Unistrut. The channel itself is cheap and the trolleys and hangers are compatible. Use standard Unistrut parts for end stops. Rubber door stop on the end stop to cushion the system.

See:

https://unistrutstore.com/trolleys.html
Unistrut prices vary considerably so do shop around. You might have to buy genuine hangers and trolleys but generic channel and fittings will be compatible.

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I hadn’t come across Unistrut rollers before, so never thought of it but will check these out.

Last edited:
Back