Industrial unit rental/purchase for hobby use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BareBear

Reaction score
I’ve recently been toying with the idea of finding something like a rented unit or some space in an agricultural building.

My property is quite small and my current setup includes a 5x3m wooden garage, plus a 2x1.5m shed.

Both outbuildings are very old.

The smaller shed is rotten and I have been stuffing rubbish in there that needs to go. The whole shed and contents needs skipped. There’s no base as such, it’s on slabs that are uneven and will need attention.

The garage is timber with a pitched roof, and the frame is good. The cladding needs replaced. The garage contains a mixture of garden tools, lawnmower, trimmer, paint equipment and various tins, hand tools, power tools, table saw (folded away), wheel barrow, ladder, furniture she wants to keep just in case, camping stuff, sledges, bikes, a fridge freezer and a chest freezer and quite a few things waiting to be moved on.

I do all my work outside with a variety of ad hoc bench arrangements.

Even if I replaced the old shed with a new, slightly larger one, it would still not be enough to free up the garage for a dedicated workshop, and then I’d need to come up with a novel idea for a place for the food that’s in there now.

Those two spaces are all I have to work with.

Either way I look at it, I really need to think outside the box if I want a workshop that can be exclusively used. So, assuming I can’t persuade my wife to keep the lawnmower and the bikes in one of the kids bedrooms, I suppose my question is, have you ever considered looking away from your house for hobby workshop space? I’m sure there must be some kind of way of doing that? I’d be looking for something like 300 to 500 square foot of space but it might be like trying to find hen’s teeth, not to mention the cost.

Am I nuts for even considering it? I mean, some people spend a fortune on golf or their season tickets for the football, so surely I’m not that mental :D

It's a question only you can answer. First find the space and then justify the cost.
As to your mental stability, that's what your mates are for, isn't it?
Brian

It seems pretty sane to me. Of course, it all depends upon finding the right place; one that accommodates your needs, that is convenient and for a reasonable price. If you were able to buy, so much the better. Would sharing a space be an option?

The garage contains...

... a long list of stuff of which you might use the lawnmower once a week in the summer months only, the sledge once a year (although being in Glasgow, those two might be reversed), the furniture not at all.

What is easier when you get the urge to be creative - to go out the back door and into your hobby space or to schlep off to the hired place some unknown distance away?

Forget the specifics of storing the bike in the bedroom, but hang onto the concept. Rent some unheated, un-electrified self-access storage for all the 'useful' stuff and go pick up the lawnmower when you need it.

Plywood top to the chest freezer makes a good work surface. The heat from the motor will keep the damp at bay, so it is a useful additon to your home workshop.

Is there a Men's Sheds group in your area you could join?

Garden workshop and remote dung storage also has domestic advantages.

"If I am away in my workshop, how can I attend to your wishes oh light of my life?"

"I am only at the bottom of the garden dear heart. Just call anytime you need something."

Unless you can turn up something that is a steal, or at mates rates you won't be able to justify the costs. Bear in mind that if it's official then there will be business rates as well. And you will have to pay, come rain or shine, whether you use it or not. You will also have to factor in getting there, if it's not local Better to try and find some kind of share if at all possible. which will defray some of the costs.

the idea is great but the costs can be silly. at least £500 a month. that's £6000 a year. to cold in winter f you I want my rent. busy at work f you I want my rent. don't forget utilities etc.etc

The perspective is difficult to find when you are in a certain way of thinking. I’m glad I asked.

I’m going off the idea for a few reasons. I thought more about being just outside the house rather than a 10 minute drive away. I’d probably also need to get a roof rack (I could do with one anyway) or a bigger vehicle.

I think I’d struggle to find something below a total of £5k what with rent, service charge, gas/power, etc. even if one of my mates went in for half (I’ve got a potential there ;)). And if I did, it would probably have some “compromises”.

So I’d be better finding a way around the solution at home.

The small stores may be an idea. I’ve got a few ‘dead’ spaces, haven’t we all.

Ok back to square 1.

Thanks folks.

... a long list of stuff of which you might use the lawnmower once a week in the summer months only, the sledge once a year (although being in Glasgow, those two might be reversed), the furniture not at all.

What is easier when you get the urge to be creative - to go out the back door and into your hobby space or to schlep off to the hired place some unknown distance away?

Forget the specifics of storing the bike in the bedroom, but hang onto the concept. Rent some unheated, un-electrified self-access storage for all the 'useful' stuff and go pick up the lawnmower when you need it.

Plywood top to the chest freezer makes a good work surface. The heat from the motor will keep the damp at bay, so it is a useful additon to your home workshop.
This is a great idea, but obviously not long term. I think it would be an interesting concept to put to the wife. She hates the paid storage concept and it would trigger a conversation about what to do with all that stuff.

There is in Bearsden, but it’s only open during the day on week days. Not good for me when I’ve got a full time job.
OK, worth a thought.
Maybe if you join/ask at the Men's Sheds, there maybe some of a like mind that could group together to share a unit and its costs.
But personally I think costs might be eye-watering for what time you can spend there.

Maybe time to start ferrying the un-needed to the skip, the little used to the charity shop and what's left fill your loft, anything else Maybe buy some storage sheds, like these from screwfix, but sure something cheaper available elsewhere, Shire 4' x 3' (Nominal) Apex Overlap Timber Garden Store - Screwfix

Then squeeze into the shed, plus a bit of extension when the SWMBO isn't watching.

Ie, put dust extraction in lean to on shed, put your air compressor in the same spot, frees up tons of space.
Have a look at Rag and Bone Brown here

Cheers

How about a maker’s space? They seem to be rather more commercially minded than men’s sheds, with longer opening hours, more space etc.

Have you considered garden storage boxes - like these?

Storage

Fairly cheap. Quick to erect. Available in lots of sizes. Can fill any small garden spaces you have which would not accommodate a proper shed.
I went down this route. A small one for the furniture (cushions etc) and a large one for the mower, pressure washer etc. I put a shelf in the large one and another pile of junk carefully kept items now reside on that. This freed up loads of space in my 7x5 shed.

I also bought one of these sheds as a temporary thing - still like new 5 years later - it has all the stuff out of the workshop that I hardly ever use (old vac, tablesaw stand etc) - again freed up a lot of space.

Having done all that, and making some hefty shelving in the garage, meant I have just about enough space in 3x3m space in the garage as my workshop.

Personally if it were me, I would do some of the above and look to replace the garage with as big a space as I could get.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I love being in a space suitable for the job.
but even spending time out of the workshop is a waste of rent. one day out is £30 burned.
hobbies wax and wane winter is off-putting. but if you want to seriously manufacture quality furniture/ joinery there's very little option.

I’m now thinking of different ways to maximise my space at home. Is there an easy way to convert a pitched roof into a flat roof? I mean, by raising the level of the lowest points of the roof to be level with the apex. Can I simply remove the outer sheets & trusses, add a frame that’s the height of the apex, with 4x2 beams going across on top of the existing side walls, and give it, say 15 degrees run off?

I’m now thinking of different ways to maximise my space at home. Is there an easy way to convert a pitched roof into a flat roof? I mean, by raising the level of the lowest points of the roof to be level with the apex. Can I simply remove the outer sheets & trusses, add a frame that’s the height of the apex, with 4x2 beams going across on top of the existing side walls, and give it, say 15 degrees run off?
How about a Dutch barn style roof?
Not sure though what it would achieve?

How about a Dutch barn style roof?
Not sure though what it would achieve?
Sorry. I should have said that there is currently a tall fridge freezer in the back middle of the garage. It is too tall to go against a side wall in there. If I raise the roof, I can keep it in there and use the space better.

I’m brainstorming a few ideas here with your help :D

Raising to roof and converting it a pent roof style shouldn't be difficult.

The Important point to note is to keep the walls supported before removing roof. You could add some 4x2 joists across the span between walls first, with one secured diagonally across these. This will keep the shed walls square and upright while you replace the roof.

You can then bolt onto the side of existing vertical studs with the new piece to extend the wall heigh to your new roof height.

Then build new roof joists as needed, board and finish, and finally remove the temporary joists fitted early 👍

Back