Hobby machine shop layout help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D7Pyro

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Posted a couple of times now, and had some great input from the community on here.

I'm able to inherit my late grandfather's hobby machine shop, and although I'll need to condense in places, I think I should be able to take on the machines if I invest in a 10x8 shed for use as storage freeing up the garage to be a workshop.

Would anyone mind taking a look over my proposed layout and offer any thoughts? I've had to guesstimate the size of the surface grinder, bandsaw and pillar drill currently, but based on similar items I can find measurements of hoping not too far off.

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• Workshop Layout.jpg
    Workshop Layout.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221106_122317.jpg
    20221106_122317.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221106_122312.jpg
    20221106_122312.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240201_113647.jpg
    20240201_113647.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Surface grinder = possiblity of abrasive dust, which is not at all good for the other machines in the shop.

Hence, some sort of physical separation as well as local extraction might be prudent (or cover the mill and lathe when you use the grinder).

Welding activites also normally involve grinding, so the same applies there.

The compressor air intake will not like abrasive dust.

Bandsaw position does not seem to give access for long pieces (e.g. 10' sticks of steel).

With the lathe abutting the wall pillar, will that allow you to open the door of the lathe?

Surface grinder = possiblity of abrasive dust, which is not at all good for the other machines in the shop.

Hence, some sort of physical separation as well as local extraction might be prudent (or cover the mill and lathe when you use the grinder).

Welding activites also normally involve grinding, so the same applies there.

The compressor air intake will not like abrasive dust.

Bandsaw position does not seem to give access for long pieces (e.g. 10' sticks of steel).

With the lathe abutting the wall pillar, will that allow you to open the door of the lathe?
Thank you, this is exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for! I've made some adjustments to try and isolate the grinding equipment and give the bandsaw some more space.

My intention is to have the bandsaw, roller cabinet, MIG set and compressor on castors to make them abit more maneuverable.

Attachments

• Workshop Layout_2.jpg
    Workshop Layout_2.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 0
You have drawn the mill with the table its actual measured length and central on the knee. If you wind it all the way to the left, it will go through the wall. For spatial-arrangement purposes, you might have to draw the land occupied by the machine at every extreme of its travel.

Above, I was assuming it was a typical 6" x 4" metal cutting bandsaw. I realise that might not necessarily be so, so sorry if I have misled you there.

You might be able to have a temporary partition between the two brick pillars, which would do a good job of shielding the machines from the 'dirty' work at the front of the garage.

Consider castors for the welding bench as well. With the bench and welder on opposite sides of the garage, the cables are always crossing the walkway.

You have drawn the mill with the table its actual measured length and central on the knee. If you wind it all the way to the left, it will go through the wall. For spatial-arrangement purposes, you might have to draw the land occupied by the machine at every extreme of its travel.

Above, I was assuming it was a typical 6" x 4" metal cutting bandsaw. I realise that might not necessarily be so, so sorry if I have misled you there.

You might be able to have a temporary partition between the two brick pillars, which would do a good job of shielding the machines from the 'dirty' work at the front of the garage.

Consider castors for the welding bench as well. With the bench and welder on opposite sides of the garage, the cables are always crossing the walkway.
That should be the full movement of the table in both directions for the mill. I think I did the calculations correct from a manual I located for the mill; so that should be the shadow of all it's extremities as you suggest.

The bandsaw is similar to the one attached, though much older.

That's a good idea, imagine I can either build a temporary partition, stud wall, or even just a welding curtain around the dirty end perhaps.

My thinking for the welding bench is having one stationary with bench grinder, and then a fabrication table on castors stored under it which can be pulled out like you say.

Attachments

• 107660_xl.jpg
    107660_xl.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
Can you put the compressor in a corner? Of all the machines, the compressor seems most suited to being tucked out of the way, rather than in the middle of your workshop, so long as you have easy access to the hose.

If you have more space in the other building it could go there too.

Back