Multico 6" surface planer/jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melvb

Reaction score
What is anybody's view on a Multico 6" surface planer/jointer, and if in good condition what would anybody pay for one. I have been offered one but cant find much about them except they use the parallelogram action on the tables rather than the inclined planes (wedge), is this better or worse or does it not matter. I have not seen it yet so don't know if the tables are true etc, but I beleive it has a new motor (dont know power yet). Has anybody got one, can the tables be adjusted for true, the bigger Grizzly/US ones have eccentric bushes to do this, does the multico. I have googled some info on surface planers but little on these. I already have a DW733 for thicknessing. Should I forget the jointer and use sledges on the thicknessor, how easy is this to do.

I do have some money to spend, not a lot, and I'm a Yorkshireman so don't want to pay more than its worth!

I would be grateful for any advice.
Melv

Melv,

I looked at Multico when I was recently looking for a planer, and asked a few questions around the brand. They seem to be regarded quite highly in an understated way- something along the lines of "most people dont realise how good they are". I still have a search set up on ebay, but am now sorted for a machine. I was looking to upgrade my 6" machine, so havent really looked at that size, but the 9" (or 10") ones seem to sell for sensible sums- anything between about £250 and £450. There also seem to be a few on ebay at about £900, which keep getting relisted and relisted.

I have an axminster ct150, which is the machine that I upgraded from. If you are interested in that model, I am looking to sell it. I dont know the spec of the multico, but this has a 3 bladed cutter head, cast iron tables and is rated at "trade" in the current catalogue.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... 0mm-planer

Mine is the white colour scheme, and the CT150 rather than this 1502. it appears to be pretty much the same spec- mine is on a base rather than the inbuilt wheels, and it doesnt have the dust spigot on it.

Sledges on the thicknesser may be useful, but I wouldnt use it as a regular workaround.

hth. if you are interested in the axi, drop me a message.
mark

Hi marcros,

I've just joined the forum after coming across this thread while researching planers. I'm on the lookout for a secondhand Axminster - is yours still available?

Thanks,
Owen

Back