Moving heavy machinery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought 4no 100mm dia castors, two straight two swivel. Attached to corners of piece of shutter-ply slightly bigger than base of machine. Shifted heavy combination machine 100 yards or so, round by road from the front to the back of the building, including ramps over steps etc.
4 blokes. Can't remember how we got it on and off the trolley but would have involved bars, rollers etc.
Lots of castors available on line and weight rated. Need to be aware that some machines the weight is not distributed equally to 4 corners and allow extra.

Last edited:
I think the scaffolding poles should suffice for these machines, only need to get them a few yards on flat concrete to other side of the shed while I'm doing some building work on one side.

The engine hoist takes my vote, you can get a pretty cheap one used and they fold up small when not in use

You don't need scaffold pole, we used to move millers et al using 20 mm electrical conduit or 1/2" steel water pipe. Works fine

I have moved heavy objects using two chain blocks, carefully positioned so that as they lift, the object swings in the desired direction. Sometimes I have had to build a kwikstage scaffold to hang the chain blocks from. Slow but safe and a one man task.

The engine hoist takes my vote, you can get a pretty cheap one used and they fold up small when not in use
Yes I have a 2 tonne one and it’s really useful for loading lathes and lifting heavy stuff above, just need several strong slings

You don't need scaffold pole, we used to move millers et al using 20 mm electrical conduit or 1/2" steel water pipe. Works fine
It would depend on how smooth the concrete floor - small dia tubes/pipes/castors will be fine for a smooth floor. I move my lathe by raising one end using a trolly jack, inserting a wide and stable dolly and then moving by using the trolly jack at the other end.

Back