Monty Don - Green Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were a crime detecting wood finisher you could have

The Knackered Gun: The files from Polish Squad starring "Les" Lie Nielsen

Sorry, but I had to do my first post somewhere. :wink:

Racers":18ufa9no said:
Hi,

I thought the womans part might have been written for her, weak and feeble woman struggling with everything then Monty gives her a talking to and she gets to grips with it, nearly beating the boys. A cliche worthy of Casualty.

Apart from that I enjoyed it.

Pete
I thought she did well that girl, especially as she was in a very stereotypical boys world. Funniest (most cliched) bit was when he was showing her how to use a mallet in his big boyish way - not realising that it was several sizes to big for her.
The cliche if anything is in the obvious unease at the idea of girls doing it!

I'd have found it much more inspirational to see a woman really getting stuck in and not whining all the way through it. I'm quite certain that many more capable women applied...

wizer":1q9esg0e said:
I'd have found it much more inspirational to see a woman really getting stuck in
she did - and finished one, which one of the blokes didn't manage
and not whining all the way through it.
The blokes were whingeing too - about being knackered, wanting to go home etc.

I spoke to Nick Gibbs about the show on Saturday, and he'd been to interview the "contestants" the previous day. Nick said that the guy that didn't finish on the programme actually finished his chair in the end and it was a little clunky, but OK. Having finished his first chair, he then went on to make another chair that was FAR better, and was really well made, Nick seemed very impressed.

The woman that came second will be on the front cover of "Living Woods" this/next month, she has also made some more stuff on an improvised shave horse in her back garden.

Nick also mentioned the guy that won, but he didn't have much time to talk to him, and never had a chance to see the chair he completed. As other have mentioned it was obvious from the start that this guy would win, he had the makings of a true craftsman about him, I'm sure that he will make a great career from the show.

Cheers

Aled

jimi43":3h9m9l0w said:
I can see that being something I would like to try out...anyone know how you make a homemade steamer? I suppose a big cupboard type affair with some racks and a sauna arrangement at one end...I liked the way the instructor said "Mind the steam" AFTER the guy had plunged his hands in there!
Jim

You can do it with a large diameter plastic pipe - such as sewer pipe connected to a wallpaper stripper type steamer - can be made pretty cheaply.

I made a chair on a course with Mike Abbott - only took 5 days, and I made a shavehorse too!!

Hi

I have noticed, on the courses I have taught, that the women have more persistance than the men. They are more accepting when they get things wrong and determined to work to get it right. Men often find it more difficult to accept that they may not be able to do something straight away and lose interest after the first attempt.

Chris

Mr T":3c6c6axq said:
Hi

I have noticed, on the courses I have taught, that the women have more persistance than the men. They are more accepting when they get things wrong and determined to work to get it right. Men often find it more difficult to accept that they may not be able to do something straight away and lose interest after the first attempt.

Chris
Agree.
A lot of men have a notion that craft skill is somehow innate; we either have or don't have 'the makings of a true craftsman' (a phrase somebody used earlier).
Luckily this is not true and anybody who persists and puts in enough hours (constructively) will get there in the end.

Back