Monty Don - Green Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it wasn't bad. Could have done without the manufactured deadlines, and as others have said, the use of cordless drills and digital(?) callipers (forsooth!) was a bit disappointing. Do green woodworkers commonly think in 0.2mm? Or was that the chap's cabinetmaking origins showing through? On the whole I'm just amazed we got a whole hour of woodworking on real telly at all.

It could have made a series really. It would have been nice to see them learn how each tool works. It was hard to get an idea of how much they were there doing work. At one point Monty gave the girl a talking to and then later she thanked him for the talk he gave her a 'few weeks ago'. So were they there constantly during that time, one day a week?

Brilliant prog. Not a single tool brand name mentioned or flash of a logo!

The girl might have been better off with a smaller mallet I thought, but she got there in the end. Perhaps smaller turning tools too?

mr grimsdale":36etq7mw said:
Brilliant prog. Not a single tool brand name mentioned or flash of a logo!

Really? I saw Ashley Iles, Veritas and Makita...

Some of you might be able to help me with this.

In all I thought the program was a good introduction to what, and a little bit of how, such things can be done. Monty didn't get in the way either!

However did anyone else notice the different way in which the lathe was used in the archive footage. The earlier stance seemed to have the workpiece, in the lathe, higher than the elbow nearly at shoulder height in fact. Whereas 'modern' practice tends to have the workpiece at, or slightly below elbow height.

Can anyone shed any light on the different techniques, is it important?

xy

I enjoyed the programme and think its good that woodworking of any sort is on mainstream TV. It is slightly frustrating however, that whenever the mainstream media does cover any wood crafts its always portrayed in this hair-shirted artisan style. I for one don't really see myself in that way, nor I'm sure do many others on the forum. It all came across a bit too beardy for my liking.

Ed

I fear that asking the Beeb for a regular, woodwork based program is shouting into the wind. Woodwork just isn't seen as a majority interest.

Nor is angling, both pastimes running contrary to ideas of conservation and animal rights.

What's the betting we see letters of complaint in the RT, about the felling of 'mature' trees to make greenwood furniture?

I enjoyed the program though, and I suppose we should be happy for what we got.

John :)

dunno. I felt the three candidates were odd choices. Wasn't it a bit obvious the woodworking teacher would win? and why do we have to have a stereotypical woman struggling? I'm sure some very capable women applied for that programme. But I'm guessing the one picked was to create a 'story'. I bet we see the same pattern throughout. Someone struggling or rebelling or an underdog, etc, etc. All manipulated, however subtle, by the production team. Wouldn't it be nice to see a proper old school bbc production on an aspect of woodworking, or any craft. Still, it was better than that Kirsty woman before Christmas. That really was dumbed down rubbish.

ahem.

I thought she did OK that girl. No more stereotypical than the blokes.
I'd also expect her to do well if she carried on doing it as she had come from the back so to speak. Probably a better designer than the others, in the long run.

Benchwayze":3kvj3wf9 said:
I fear that asking the Beeb for a regular, woodwork based program is shouting into the wind. Woodwork just isn't seen as a majority interest.

Nor is angling, both pastimes running contrary to ideas of conservation and animal rights.

What's the betting we see letters of complaint in the RT, about the felling of 'mature' trees to make greenwood furniture?

What nonsense - woodwork and conservation go hand in hand. As a rule people or communities who use wood also conserve it. This is because they generally have enough brain power to work out that it grows on trees and that they may need some more.
I'm surprised they didn't bring in conservation by coppicing as it is central to green woodworking.
It's farming by and large which has caused de-forestation, throughout history and world wide.

Just finished watching it on iplayer. Interesting program and highlighted how it's next to impossible to make a living using traditional processes.

I enjoyed the program, it is nice to see what can be made with so few tools and a bit of skill. I have a green sycamore childs chair I made in a similar way 20 years ago. Chop down the tree (rotton and spalted), split and turn and carve. Too much poly finish though. It is still around somewhere, even though the kids are grown up.

Jacob.

I am merely repeating comments I have heard expressed in the media

Angling for instance is definitely a no-no, for the BBC, despite it being the most popular pastime of all. (Per head of the population. ) Like woodworkers, anglers too are concerned about conservation.

I say no more! 8)

Sad fact of life that nearly all constructive/constructional activities are limited to the satellite channels. With one of my other hats on I'm a railway modeller, all I can say is that woodworking at least is treated as an adult past time, the mainstream channels seem incapable of dealing with anything to do with real or model railways without implying that anyone who knows anything about them must be in some way strange. The big exception was Michael Portillo's recent series, but they screened that to clash with the news programmes. It wasn't always like this, I remember watching Barry Buchnall as a kid, I realise that that wasn't woodworking as we would think of it, but at least it was someone working with tools being taken seriously. Wouldn't a series on furniture design make good viewing.

Tony Comber

Enjoyed the programme greatly, though like others, the chainsaw did seem a bit out of keeping.
But perhaps the most encouraging aspect to us oldies is that Monty Don appears to have recovered completely after his stroke. Wonder if they'll get him back on the gardening programme?

Hi Guys
Thanks for the info about the programme never heard about it but just watched it on iplayer and enjoyed it immensley. Respect to Sarah for going for the chair in the end. We are having a talk on the pole lathe next club meeting so look forward to that (wouldnt give up me vic for one though :lol: )
Steve

If you are interested, Guy Mallison has a really good websiteand a blog

The course to make just the post and rung chair is over £600 :shock:

mr grimsdale":14i0kfln said:
Benchwayze":14i0kfln said:

What nonsense - woodwork and conservation go hand in hand. As a rule people or communities who use wood also conserve it. This is because they generally have enough brain power to work out that it grows on trees and that they may need some more.
I'm surprised they didn't bring in conservation by coppicing as it is central to green woodworking.
It's farming by and large which has caused de-forestation, throughout history and world wide.

I thought that was a little harsh jumping in on John like that Mr G....it is generally thought by the Beeb and ITV that woodworking is the territory of anoraks or people with a shed...or TWO!

My mother phoned me up after the programme..she has the hots for Monty Don...so she watched it and her comment was that it was fantastic! She also has a lot more understanding about my almost religious appreciation for wood and its beauty!

The Beeb is stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea as they have to compete with ratings...but if I have to watch any more cookery programmes or someone dancing on ice in an Australian rain forest with a wheelchair in a ball gown I will go MAD!

It was highly refreshing that they picked this less than mainstream topic...even with the crowd pleasing BS and the chainsaw!!

:wink:

Jim

Back