Monty Don - Green Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I enjoyed that. Quite inspirational, in fact. I'd never thought of green woodworking before, but I think the Le Bodge™ range might have a green oak picnic bench in it, and possibly one of those waney benches before long.

I don't know why but I kept thinking of our Tom (wizer) all through that programme!

Glad you won Tom! Nice one!! :wink:

Strange that the lady was shown at the beginning with the giant woodturning lathe and making a bowl and then when she got onto the pole lathe...disaster!!! Really weird.

Although I agree...the location, presentation and some of the "back to the old days" stuff was informative and Mike Abbott was honest (and right)...I felt that some aspects of modern intervention such as chain saws, Vertitas spoke shaves (drool) and electric hand drills spoilt it....

I mean...if they are going to have to fish for their lunch each day and clobber the fish with the work from that day...why not use a dirty big hand saw...a bradle...and a hand wrought spokeshave...

I suppose health and safety would come into it....at least they didn't use a Land Rover to drag the tree out!!!

Good programme...thoroughly enjoyed it...see ya later...got me axe and I am off!!

Jim

A friend of mine Paul Felix has done all the still photography for the series which will be going in a book at some time, another interesting one to watch out for is basket making, he said he spent a whole day down near the Lizard photographing a chap making lobster pots, he was only allocated an hour or two for the photography but stayed all day in fits of laughter, alas most of the funny stuff he thinks will be edited out.

After watching the lady make a chair Swmbo was very impressed what she achieved she's just decided she wants to have a go on my lathe ](*,)

fantastic show,

i would have preferred it if they didn't use the electric drill and my heart nearly sunk when he pulled out the chainsaw to cut down the tree. He could have used an axe for that - no worries! whats an extra 20 mins when you spend the whole day witling a log!!

My 2cents

I was surprised by the cordless drill, I would have expected that to be done by hand, but the tree felling wasn't really part of the project as I read it, he was an 'outsider'. Nice horse, though.

I rather enjoyed it too.

In spite of the fact that in order to make it suitable for the masses they had to introduce an element of competition and "reallidy", it was finally judged by somebody who's been there and dunnit, as opposed to dancers being judged by people who can't dance and singers by people who can't sing AND not a sight of "Matt the ." Dawson.

Nice to see that Monty can actually use a pole lathe.

AND apart from a few other minor historical points e.g. Bodgers didn't make chairs in the woods (they only made chair parts, the rest was done in workshops, mainly in High Wycombe) I thought it was along with the "Transatlantic Sessions" one of the better efforts by BBC2 over the last few years

Yes I was surprised by the use of a cordless drill when a brace and bit would have done the job in the same time. Another surprise was the guy who drilled the hole in the wrong place, you would have thought he would have marked all the hole positions first and double checked them before drilling.

Lord Nibbo":v68zcsex said:
she's just decided she wants to have a go on my lathe ](*,)

Me and significant other share a Jet Midi, we're very modern like that...

Aidan

I liked the way they rallied around to help him make a new leg...

In fact I loved the steaming bit...over the former...sheer brilliance!

I can see that being something I would like to try out...anyone know how you make a homemade steamer? I suppose a big cupboard type affair with some racks and a sauna arrangement at one end...I liked the way the instructor said "Mind the steam" AFTER the guy had plunged his hands in there!

I have just started seasoning my own wood from the local woods and neighbour's gardens...while that is laying down I think I will enter the green world....at the very least...a few chestnut fences for the garden...

Jim

Tony Spear":3qge13te said:
Lord Nibbo":3qge13te said:
A friend of mine Paul Felix ]

E'll be the feller from Northleach then?

Turns out some good stuff. :)

NORTHLEACH!

Now....
That's where I saw my 'flying seagulls' wooden mobiles. In a Woodworker's shop/workshop on the main street.

Thanks Tony!

I was darned if I could remember the name of the town.

Thanks again.

John

I just watched it back on iPlayer. Loved it. Made me feel like chucking it all in and going to the woods. As usual on modern BBC programmes the time constraints made it into a bit of a farce. Because they had to get the whole thing done so quickly, the guys didn't get the full 'experience'. But still a good show. I bet he gets a lot of course bookings this year!

If you haven't used a lathe, pole or otherwise, you MUST try it. It's such a relaxing enjoyable experience. If anyone wants to come play on mine ever, you're most welcome. It's a great stress reliever and I must have get back into the saddle with mine. Not turned since early November! I really enjoy using spoke shaves also and would be nice to try green wood and drawknives.

Jim it's funny you should say that you thought of me. When they were asking for applicants both my wife and father independently told me I should apply. Obviously it's good that I didn't because of everything that's happened in the past 6months. But I couldn't have applied anyway because it would have been a conflict of interest with my employer. Will definitely do the course one day tho.

Shultzy":1ocm221d said:
Another surprise was the guy who drilled the hole in the wrong place, you would have thought he would have marked all the hole positions first and double checked them before drilling.

...And you could say the same for a lot of woodworkers, who do this sort of thing more regularly! :oops: :wink:

Only caught the last half-hour and felt it was a bit rushed, but otherwise, really enjoyed it. I noticed next week's is all about thatched roofs - are we going to get any more woodwork-related ones?

OPJ":335umquu said:
Shultzy":335umquu said:
Another surprise was the guy who drilled the hole in the wrong place, you would have thought he would have marked all the hole positions first and double checked them before drilling.

...And you could say the same for a lot of woodworkers, who do this sort of thing more regularly! :oops: :wink:

are we going to get any more woodwork-related ones?

nope :(

Back