Middle of Lidl starts today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is what is. It's not aimed at professional tradesman but the DIYer who does not need the quality or reliability of better branded tools. Its great for the money.

A joiner I know raves about the Lidl stuff, I saw him yesterday morning, he was showing off the sander and grinder he had just bought. He already owned the sander and grinder but was buying a second as he says they are so good, think he owns at least one of every tool they make.

My only purchase from them was a pack of forstner bits about a year ago, absolute rubbish.
I worked with a builder years ago who was a massive Aldi tool fan, during the job the release of their latest cordless drill happened & all I heard prior to this was how good they were, how I liked to waste my money buying branded tools, what a fool I was etc etc etc.
Well the big day arrived & like a kid in a toy shop off he went to purchase said drill, on his return he was most insistent I used it to let in the latches, needless to say it wasn’t working after the second latch.
To be fair to Aldi they replaced it straight away literally an hour later after he’d first purchased it, now I’m not knocking the drill no doubt it would have been fine for lighter work, I was just grateful it shut him the f..k up.

I have a friend who is a tool snob, Panasonic this that and the other.
Good kit I agree, but it does get tiresome the hundredth time he explains how my Dewalt 12v drill/driver just isn't up to the job. Even though it's had nearly daily use for almost 6 years and I used the second battery for the first time last week.
As for the parkside track saw. All it merited was a grunt.

Show him the error of his ways. both do the exact same project and time it and then get a couple of independants to judge to best on and the winner is the one with the most points and fastestestest time :sneaky:

I have a friend who is a tool snob, Panasonic this that and the other.
Good kit I agree, but it does get tiresome the hundredth time he explains how my Dewalt 12v drill/driver just isn't up to the job. Even though it's had nearly daily use for almost 6 years and I used the second battery for the first time last week

Panasonic stuff is good, is it better than Dewalt....I doubt it.

Ive had panasonic, milwaukee, makita and dewalt gear for on site and used in a joinery shop -they all worked pretty well and lasted a long time.

Yeah I guess tool brand choice is a bit of a "charisma" thing - a bit like car brands, which airline you fly on holiday with, or (he says quietly) choosing a wife.

Mind you it is a bit difficult to ask another bloke "What did you choose HER for? Mine's MUCH better than HER".

:) ;)

(Glad my good lady doesn't look at this site)!

Yeah I guess tool brand choice is a bit of a "charisma" thing - a bit like car brands, which airline you fly on holiday with, or (he says quietly) choosing a wife.

Mind you it is a bit difficult to ask another bloke "What did you choose HER for? Mine's MUCH better than HER".
The folly of man.
Do you believe, you chose your wife?

I guess it was inevitable but a whole host of the bandsaws are already on fleabay and all with a decent markup of course.

I went to my local Lidl couldn’t find the drill or the laser measure, I think they are having delivery problems. Plenty of bandsaws though.

I also spotted the grinder stand - anyone got that and use it?

Personally, I don't suffer from an obsession about these tools. And the quality CAN be variable.

But in general both Parkside and Aldi tools are good value for money IMO - I now own several tools which would have cost me at least 50% more - often double-ish - and there is always the no quibble 3 year money back guarantee for the odd duffer you can get. Good buy e.g. my Parkside temperature-controlled soldering station.

I wouldn't say good for tradesmen (though I do often see blokes in overalls looking like tradesmen buying tools there) so overall I'm glad to see the advent of these tools here.

So have you bought any tools there JoeS?

P.S, In general though, I agree if you mean "just" buying accessories like drill bits, though one of my first Workzone buys (a set of HSS Metric taps and dies) is still going strong, AND they get used quite a bit.
I’ve bought several workzone trousers and they are great value for money. Very durable, paid £12.50 a pair I think.

All the Forstner bits gone from my local. Suppose they'll be on ebay shortly.
Honestly those yolks are amongst the worst of tools of any kind I've ever encountered...
I spent a dang fiver on the useless lumps of things...
I thought I'd be able to sharpen them up, not that I've tried, as they were just so terrible to even consider wasting my time on.

CMT do various packs which looks good value.
I see a 5 pack costing 40 euros, looks about the best deal I've seen.

Not that I'm a tool snob, got loads of green things which work great.
Hard to believe those forstner bits are so bad, and some other stuff is quite good quality.
I just bought a micrometer for only 8 euros last Thursday, it looks and feels pretty good.
Quite surprising really.

Last edited:
Back