Makita or dewalt..18v li-on kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teckel

Established Member
Reaction score
Well lads
I'm in line for one of these kits but don't know which one to pick. I have used the makita 18v impact driver and like it. I don't know anything about the dewalt li-on kit. I will be getting a 5 or 6 piece kit.
Looking for advice on which kit to choose. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

I've had the Makita li-ion stuff for years now since it first came out. I bought the 3 speed drill with 3 batteries and an impact body first. The charger broke a few years later so I bought a 2 speed drill ,charger and one battery from screwfix. I recently bought an sds body and two more batteries. Im still using all my original batteries after years of heavy professional use so that should give you an idea of how good the Makita stuff is.

A lot of companies are now going up to 4 ah batteries now I imagine Makita will be bringing out some improvement soon.

I have the makita 18v li ion stuff, and some hilti li ion stuff, some bosch and recently picked up some dewalt 18v li ion 4ah stuff. I was pretty much staunch against DW, but I am quite impressed in the first instance with the 4ah dw batts. They are smaller than tha makita ones (haven't measured them but they 'feel' smaller anyway) and they REALLY hold their charge. I am still on the first battery and have been using said tool for some 10days pretty intensely.
I would never have said this a year ago, or even six months ago, but maybe just have a look at the new dewalt stuff. I think they may have become aware that they were slipping down the rankings, so have made an effort. They are certainly a step up from the old li ion stuff, and IMO the old NiMh and NiCad too.
I think it is called the XR range?

Hope this helps

Neil

6 Months ago my answer would have been without hesitation Makita
Now I'm not so sure..
I honestly think that the current version of the Makita 18v drill is not as good as earlier versions
Both of mine lasted less than 3 years the last one went 6 months ago both were the motor
I have 6 14.4 v makita drills all at least 8 years old
All doing exactly the same work as the 18v drills and the only thing I have had go wrong with them is the batteries after 21/2 - 3 years
I have also had an AEG 18v drill and that has also out lasted the Makita 18v despite being used exclusively on site where it has not been treated Kindly LOL

I have not used a dewalt drill in around 13 years so I really cannot comment on them

Roger

It depends on how many different tools you need. Makita have the largest range in the 18v stuff.
I have Makita impact driver, small drill driver, slightly larger drill driver, SDS drill, grinder, reciprocating saw, circular saw, jig saw, dry wall auto feed screwdriver, torch, 2 chargers, 8 batteries.
If you look here
http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-18v-l ... ept818154/
You'll see how many tools they do. Your buying into a system that Dewalt doesn't have.
For that alone for me it was no contest. Makita.
I have the same tools in 110v for heavier / prolongued applications.
Never had a problem with the Makita stuff. Batteries still going strong.

Dewalt is going to have to be out for a few years if it has been improved to prove it's self for me. Glorified DIY pretending to be trade. ELU was fantastic. Dewalt destroyed it.

Of course the really good 18v stuff is Metabo. Different league again from Makita and Dewalt But not as widely available, not as heavily advertised and not as big a range. All Metabo stuff inc batteries comes with 3 year guarantee. It doesn't look as 'sexy' as Makita but if you want solid reliable stuff it's unbeatable ;)

Depends if you need a tool that only Makita has in it's range at the end of the day.

What I want in the kit is, drill driver, impact driver, grinder, jig saw, circular saw and light.
I have used both dewalt and makita tools down through the years and didn't have an issue with either brand.
Dewalt seems to be cheaper than makita. I am turning towards dewalt for some reason..I don't know why

Hi Teckel, I can't speak for the makita li-ion drills,I do have the circ' saw and I'm really impressed with the power it has and with how long it holds a charge. However as peter says I would consider Metabo. I have a freind in Co Mayo who is a roofing contractor and has receantly invested in the new metabo 4amp range and says he would never consider another brand now. Happy shopping Phil.

Latest posts

Back