Lyndhurst Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hehe well Nick, if he doesn't want it, I'll have it :D

CNC Paul":n6k9rdrz said:
Hi Jetman

While you are here what do you think of the Jet 22-44 ocs drum sander ?

I tested this down at Axminster last week. I was pretty impressed, but it rather depends on what you want to achieve with it. I think it's fair to say that it's more of a finishing sander than a thicknessing sander, in that it takes a while to remove much waste. However, if you want to make wide panels, or perhaps to thickness your own veneer, it may be the only option. You certainly get a fantastic finish, both with and across the grain. There'll be a fuller report in the next issue of British Woodworking.

Of course a wide drum like this, at affordable-ish prices, might be a the big leap for the next decade????

Nick

big soft moose":1qva73ys said:
wizer":1qva73ys said:

you selling your TS200 then ? ;)

As soon as I can afford to buy something else, then yes. yes yes yes.....yes

yes

Tom,

Have you ever considered thinking about what machines you need, doing your research, trying them out and just buying once? :lol: :lol:

I know the market needs a few people with your buying habits but you could save yourself an awful lot of cash?

Bob

wizer":1fpnwlup said:
big soft moose":1fpnwlup said:
wizer":1fpnwlup said:

you selling your TS200 then ? ;)

As soon as I can afford to buy something else, then yes. yes yes yes.....yes

I might be interested in buying it off you - unless ive bought the startrite tilt arbor saw G&m are selling before then - i'm still undecided about that.

In answer to matts querry we've got one at work and its a good little saw for its price point, better than the comparable charnwood etc, but it doesnt hold a candle to the more expensive supersaw that wiz had before, or to the big old lumps of iron - but then thats rather like buying a ford fiesta and expecting porsche performance.

That sounds boring Bob.

But seriously. How could I know that I'd not get on with the Supersaw? It was something I had to use and get to know before I knew whether I liked it. The saw was brilliant, it's just the slider I wasn't happy with and I sold it because I needed the cash. The Axi was just a big fat mistake, but I'd done lots of research, it gets really good reviews on here. But I think those people who are proud owners of the TS200 have never owned or used a proper cabinet saw. I guess that's spoilt me a bit.

I have plenty of excuses, try me ;)

wizer":3omhcdjr said:
. But I think those people who are proud owners of the TS200 have never owned or used a proper cabinet saw. I guess that's spoilt me a bit.

thats a fair point - I bought the TS200 for work because we needed a table saw and it was what the budget would stand - prior to that i'd not owned or used one so ive not got a comparrison point to compare it against.

but that said it does what we need to do, and i'm happy that it would equally do what I need to do in the shop at home. Of course i'd love a supersaw or deft or whatever instead but i dont have money it would take to get one, so unless i buy a second hand three phase lump of iron and run it on an inverter the TS200 is going to be the best i can afford (more so if i part tom from his rather than buying it new ;) )

what this is going to come down to is do i buy a big ass bandsaw and inverter (looking at a startrite 352) and make do with a TS200 as my table saw , or do i make do with the little bandsaw ive got and buy a big ass startrite or multico table saw.......................... or do i risk the domestic that might (will) ensue if i buy both startrite machines and two inverters , decisions decisions :-k

I'm not saying that the TS200 is terrible, it's just not for me. I prefer not to fiddle and fettle machines to get the best out of them. Which is odd as I'm anti-mac which are computers that 'just work'. I was using the TS200 today and got perfectly acceptable results. It's purely a want, not a need.

Jetman, you never cease to amaze me, your type are few a far between sir, what can I say, except thank you very much, I am now one happy bunny.

BSM - I did get your PM and did reply, it should be in your inbox

big soft moose":2316ll4e said:
what this is going to come down to is do i buy a big ass bandsaw and inverter (looking at a startrite 352) and make do with a TS200 as my table saw , or do i make do with the little bandsaw ive got and buy a big ass startrite or multico table saw.......................... or do i risk the domestic that might (will) ensue if i buy both startrite machines and two inverters , decisions decisions :-k

Oh to find a solution to that dilemma. Bandsaw or tablesaw? It's a pretty close run thing between bandsaws and tablesaws in our Tools of the Decade survey. If I had the choice I'd always opt for the bandsaw, and then find other ways of cutting joints and cutting to length. I love bandsaws. Andy King and I had long debates about this: he favours the tablesaw as the hub of the workshop (at least that's what he told me a few years ago). It does, of course, depend on the size and shape of your workshop.

Nick Gibbs":1xwkljhz said:
big soft moose":1xwkljhz said:

Oh to find a solution to that dilemma. Bandsaw or tablesaw? It's a pretty close run thing between bandsaws and tablesaws in our Tools of the Decade survey. If I had the choice I'd always opt for the bandsaw, and then find other ways of cutting joints and cutting to length. I love bandsaws. Andy King and I had long debates about this: he favours the tablesaw as the hub of the workshop (at least that's what he told me a few years ago). It does, of course, depend on the size and shape of your workshop.

i'm definitely going to have both a band and table saw - but the dillema is which big lump of cast iron to in invest in - my little rexon bandsaw does okay for cutting out turning blanks and ripping to about an inch - quite possibly it could do more with a decent blade (its got a 3/8 4tpi skip on at the mo)

if i go for the big bandsaw it will be to be able to cut logs down without resorting to the chainsaw, and to be able to rip bigger baulks

on the other hand a big ass table saw will also rip - probably better than the bandsaw - and logs can always be chainsawed

decisions decisions

My gut says get the big bandsaw and the TS200 - as i'm not sure i have room for a big table saw - but if i can get G&M to deal i may yet wind up with two big lumps of cast iron ;)

12months ago I'd have disagreed with that. But in the interim between tablesaws, I was forced to use the bandsaw and I couldnt be without it now. I do like table saws tho and choose to have both

To my way of thinking, of the two machines, only a TS will give guaranteed orthogonal cutting by design.

Yes, the bandsaw is handy but to me will always be a rough (approximate) cutting tool.

Components come off the TS to size and virtually finished.

Also how can I fit a dado set to a bandsaw??

Bob

CNC Paul":3naxne3f said:
Hi Jetman

While you are here what do you think of the Jet 22-44 ocs drum sander ?
I've been hammering my Jet DDS225 for the last week or so. I wasn't that happy with it at first , but the last week has change my mind. The trick for me has been putting cloth backed abrasive on it rather than paper.
It's not the same model as mine but i assume the loadings are similar.
HTH

9fingers":oz8mo9fd said:
To my way of thinking, of the two machines, only a TS will give guaranteed orthogonal cutting by design.

Yes, the bandsaw is handy but to me will always be a rough (approximate) cutting tool.

Components come off the TS to size and virtually finished.

Also how can I fit a dado set to a bandsaw??

Bob

I tend to agree with you which is why i want a tablesaw as well - got no plans to fit a dado head tho - thats what the router table is for

Mattty":11gxljxx said:
I've been hammering my Jet DDS225 for the last week or so. I wasn't that happy with it at first , but the last week has change my mind. The trick for me has been putting cloth backed abrasive on it rather than paper.
It's not the same model as mine but i assume the loadings are similar.
HTH

I tested the 22-44 the other day and in retrospect had problems with paper-backed abrasive. We started with cloth-backed, but it got clogged with Titebond from a glued-up panel I was smoothing. The paper abrasive we then used broke twice, perhaps because we were giving it too much stick, or perhaps because it is paper-backed and not really designed for the job. Frustratingly Axminster didn't seem to have a stock of the cloth-backed abrasive down to 40 grit that I wanted to try to see how fast it removes waste. There's no doubt though that it can produce a fantastic finish, and if you need to do wide panels there's really no other way. It's sturdy and we were able to get it sanding level easily enough.

Nick

just throwing a couple of other spanners amongst the pigeons

a) what do people think about radial arm saws as an alternative to table saws. I know kevin ley swears by his according to his book - and G&M have got a couple of dewalt ones at reasonable prices

and

b) with regard to table saws whats the opinion on the Jet JTS 10 - from where i'm standing it looks like a TS200 withou the extension and sliding table - which features i'd probably remove anyway - and its a lot cheaper.

Back