Lyndhurst Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we all need to be a bit careful about what we state as "fact" about credit card cover when using paypal on ebay.

I`d suggest people check with their credit card companies about the level of cover they offer when transactions are via a 3rd party financial institution i.e. paypal.

I know of 3 people now who have been stung by this, the latest was a friend who bought some muse tickets from a site, paid via paypal (through credit card) and has now lost all his money (site was bogus, scotland yard are now involved). Credit card came back with the reply "we do not accept liability for transactions via a third party financial institution"

personally as paypal is not registered with the FSA I think this is a bit strong/harsh, however just a highlight that we should all be careful and at least give your CC a ring and check before making any large purchases.

Steve

devonwoody":3ja37em6 said:
And wont Paypal play ball?

discussions are going on with PP, the CC company and the police, its a multi million pound fraud so I think there is a lot of hand washing going on....

the moral being, check your rights before a buy...

Steve

Gents,

My final Installment.

I managed to contact Richard Jackson via telephone to enquire about his situation.

In a nut shell, he has indeed gone out of business, he stopped trading about 10 weeks ago having been suffering financially since the early part of the year. The banks stepped in and the machinery was sold off to pay the debts. He told me that he had lost a fortune (a six figure sum) as a result of the closure, he just wasn't selling machinery.

When pressed if he had any recollection of my purchase he said that he did, but had forgotten all about it due to his personal woes ( that I can understand) I asked him if he was going to resurface, although he has no immediate plans he informed me that he was saving hard??

The machinery was sold off to Goss Engineering in Charfield but he doesn't know if they will sell the machinery on to the public but he did offer to contact them to find out. In his defence he was apologetic and as I have a refund on my initial outlay I have no hard feelings...life's too short.

On the positive side, I have a new saw, or at least I am awaiting its delivery which should be in a couple of weeks. Its a Jet JTS250cs cabinet saw. A good samaratan at Brimark tools ( not sure I can say his name without his permission) did a bit of digging for me and found it at the back of one of their warehouses. I got it for about the same as the Deft and as I am not a fan of the saws with the sliding cross cut tables, mainly because of the space they take up this is right up my street.

I have noted that all saws of this sort of spec all have the sliding tables rather than the fixed bed table tops. I Have been to a couple of tool shows and spoken with several manufacturers of saws lately and it would appear the sliding versions are all that is available now. When I asked why this was the case I was informed because there was no interest in the fixed bed versions?? I put it to them that bearing in mind the biggest complaint with the majority of woodworkers is availability of space why then are the manufacturers offering saws with a bigger footprint? Apparently the saws are manufactured for the wider european market as they have less issues with space it would seem

Although the Jet is not technically brand new it is exactly what I am after and should I need after sales service I have no doubts that too will be outanding, certainly if it is anywhere near the service provided until now. So thanks all at Brimark tools, well done. All' s well that ends well.

Thanks for you interest and advice folks.

PS I still haven't worked out how to upload a personal avatar yet!

David

The Supersaw, no less. I had that saw and was never happy with the sliding table. I think you've got a cracking solution there and will be very happy with it.

wizer":2dafhxsr said:
The Supersaw, no less. I had that saw and was never happy with the sliding table. I think you've got a cracking solution there and will be very happy with it.

I think all sliding saws can be aggro, perhaps the 5 figure machines are better in that respect.

The one that's on the sheppach and is cloned on the sip, is really good. The Supersaw sliding table really doesn't work on the same concept. It's more like an integrated cross cut sled than a sliding table. It was trying to be jack of all trades and was master of none. I think I'd have eventually bought the left hand table to replace it.

But generally I agree, space is a massive issue with sliding tables.

Bluekingfisher":1irga3l9 said:
PS I still haven't worked out how to upload a personal avatar yet!

David

Did you have a problem with the instructions I posted in this thread?

Let me know your difficulty and I'll try and help.

Bob

Wasn't the super saw the 1.75 HP Hybrid type saw that was introduced by jet for a year or so.

Mine is the 3hp cabinet version or were they both known as the 'Supersaw'

Hi Bob,

Yes, sorry, I'm bit of a technophobe I'm afraid.

I got to the point where I could view and load one of the images in the forum directory but wanted to try to load an image of my own.

Your word 'photobucket' confused me???

If I have the image in 'my photos' on my PC how do i get it from there to here? I couldn't see any obvious buttons to click which would allow me to do that.

The avatar instruction asks you to add the URL of where the image is, what is a URL?

What ever happened to the quill and parchment?

Photobucket is one of several photo hosting sites on the web.
Photobucket seems to be reliable and work well with this site; others may e just as good.

You join free and they store your pictures for you.

You then post the address/location/URL (uniform resource locator) into your profile page and the forum software does the rest.

A URL is the thing you type into the box at the top of your browser page to go to a place on the internet.

I did give you the link to the forum where uploading photos is described. I do suggest you read that.

Avatar photos need to be quite small (number of pixels) so use the software that came with your camera to reduce the resolution to a maximum of 80 x 80 and a file size of less than 6k.

hth

Bob

Yes that's the one I am getting. Were you not happy with it?

Does this saw have the sliding, albeit short travel left hand extention. I seem to recall it does. Am i correct in stating that it can be locked to act as a fixed extention table.

Can the mitre gauge be removed easily or is it bolted to the table.

In truth I would have prefered a fixed wing, I may contact Jet to see if they sell a fixed table extention. I still think it's an absolute bargain for what I paid for it though.

It sounds like you paid the same as I did ;)

It was a really good solid saw, much better than the rubbish I'm using at the moment. I sold it for financial reasons mainly. As I said above, I couldn't get on with the sliding table. It just never felt right to me. The biggest niggle was getting the mitre guide off and on. It some off relatively easy with just 2 knobs, IIRC. But in taking it on and off all the time you had to re square it each time. Personally that annoyed me. Others here love the saw, so you might be fine with it. I seem to remember there being a left hand table available to replace the slider but I can't be sure. You can lock it in place and forget about it. The only very slight issue is that the sliding table is set about 2mm above the rest of the table. Which might cause issues with jigs, etc. It also doesn't have a mitre slot on the left which bugged me.

It sounds like I'm being very negative about the saw, but I liked it very much. It was solid, powerful and accurate. I miss it. But I'd not buy it again.

The factors you have just described to me are exactly the issues I think I will have to overcome to get on with the saw. I hope I have done the right thing by buying it.

The absence of the left side mitre track will bug me too, that and the 2mm height difference. I have just phoned Axminster to verify if they sell the bolt on left hand extention wing with mitre track. I remember when this saw first came out, I saw it at a show and liked it, the guy on the stand told me there was an extention available should the customer wish to purchase it as an optional extra. Anyway Axminster stated that the saw has now been superseded ( I am aware of this) and that he was not able to establish if the extention was ever available (with the greatest respect to him he sits in an office and was only going through his files) He gave me the address of Jets head office in Switzerland. I sent them an email but not hopeful now.

What concerns me with this is as this saw has only been out of production for a couple of years they already are not stocking parts. I just hope nothing goes wrong with it and requires spares.

All I wanted was a tablesaw with solid static cast top, seems simple and straight forward is no use anymore!

Bluekingfisher":28n7ywn9 said:
All I wanted was a tablesaw with solid static cast top, seems simple and straight forward is no use anymore!

perhaps you should've got the big old lump i pm'd you about (it was a multico twelve inch tilt arbour - from G&M) - that's the epitome of simple and straight forward.

DSCN21980.JPG

still not to worry if you dont get on with the jet you can always sell it - there is no shame in selling and replacing your tools every six months - just ask tom ;) :lol:

You should see what Steve in our workshop has just bought! I'll try to get a photo onto my blog soon. It's quite an old monster!

Bluekingfisher":jw7p3rys said:
The absence of the left side mitre track will bug me too, that and the 2mm height difference.

Hello Bluekingfisher - I have also dropped in the left hand fixed bed casting which has the mitre groove. Best of both worlds now - either sl. table or fixed bed - both are included. 2mm height is all adjustable. You have a free lump of machined casting to put to good use whichever option you decide upon

What concerns me with this is as this saw has only been out of production for a couple of years they already are not stocking parts. I just hope nothing goes wrong with it and requires spares.

No worries - we carry spares and Jet should also have plenty available for many years for a saw that has sold in very large quantities all over.

On it's way and at a better price than wizer's :wink: :)

Best regards to all
Nick

Back