Quantcast

Lumberjack or Record Power bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Thornlv

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals.

I am in the market for a new bandsaw. I have limited space so will have to be a bench mount one and at least 10 inch throat (and not more).

I mainly make guitars, so a bandsaw is indispensable. The maximum thickness I envisage cutting is 95mm but mostly 70 for neck blanks and 50ish for bodies. Hardwoods.

I am torn between the Record Power BS250 and the Lumberjack BS254. Both fill my needs regarding material thickness to cut and both in my budget.

The Lumberjack has a more powerful motor than the Record Power (375 watt V 250 watt) and the Lumberjack has 2 speeds (400/800ms V 740ms). The Record power though is £40 cheaper.

I have seen some videos on both bandsaws, cutting thick hardwood and both seem to cope albeit the Record power struggled a bit more. I would of course upgrade the blades to Tuffsaws

Record power seems to have a better reputation than Lumberjack, but the reviews I have seen on lumberjack do seem favourable - it looks like capable on doing what I need.

ummm, what to do. advice and comments please.

GrahamF

Established Member
Reaction score
Lumberjack has always struck me as generic Chinese, what's the guarantee period and after sales backup like? From personal experience, I've found Record's service backup excellent and 3 year guarantee as well.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
The 2 speeds are irrelevant. the other one is for cutting metal.
I never heard of a lumberjack bandsaw :shock:

MikeJhn

Grunkel
Reaction score
I have a lumberjack router table as a second string unit, and a Record Power 350 bandsaw, as much as I like the Lumberjack product it is not a patch on the build quality of the Record Power bandsaw, I can't really comment on the Lumberjack bandsaw itself, but as above they do tend to be a bit on the budget side.

Thornlv

Reaction score
I also should add, the max depth of cut is 150mm on the lumberjack, 120mm on the RP.

The 2 speed function caught my eye for the possibility of metal cutting, I am still mulling over that function.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Raymond UK

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the Record Power BS250 and it's a pretty solid machine. Dust extraction is not great but I don't think I have owned a bandsaw where the dust extraction was great.

LumberJack seems to me generic tools rebranded like Clarke. LumberJack customer service is 10/10 though. Very nice company to deal with.

Spence

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a record power bandsaw and a few other bits of kit and have always received fantastic customer service whenever I had a query or an issue.

Some design decisions they make are abit questionable but on the whole they are solid machines. I have seen a lumberjack bandsaw in the flesh so to speak and it seemed fine and had a built in light. If I had to pick one I'd go for the record just for the service and guarantee.

Oh and get a tuffsaws blade.