looking to make floor beading, any tips?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclarenf1racer

Established Member
Reaction score
as title says, I am looking to make beading to go around the skirting board as laminate flooring has just been fitted.
my thoughts are set up router with bit, run through a piece of timber and then cut off in the bandsaw, is that the easiest way?
thanks in advance

If you haven't a table saw, or your BS will cut a consistant straight line, then yes.

Roy.

If your TS has a decent fence and a suitable blade you should get a good clean cut that requires no further work.
As regards the shape you require, I can't think of a suitable cutter off the top of my head, but it could certainly be produced using two cutters, one to produce the hollow and another to produce the radii.
Free hand or on a table?

Roy.

If you are going to make any type of beading the best piece of advice to give is to plane up a wide board to the required thickness then pass it by the router/spindle moulder to cut the profile ,then using a table saw or band saw rip the moulding off to the required width . If you have a planer/jointer then the sawn edge can be planed off then just repeat the stages .Very safe way of producing beading .

thats good to hear, means I am thinking along the same lines,

set up the router table with bit/bits, run through that, then cut on the table saw, repeat until desired amount of beading is achieved?
yes the timber has all be put through the thicknesser.
thinking of running a coving bit, do you think that will work.

I was fitting my brother in laws laminate today and he was going to purchase beading for the edge, I said I would run some off for him so will try tomorrow, just thought i would get the heads up just now to see what people on the forum have experienced.

Thanks

Whichever saw you use, one thing to be wary of is making sure that you cut the ends that go into the corners at the correct angle.

Don't assume that a 45 degree mitre cut will be fine - room corners are very rarely a true 90 degrees. DAMHIKT! :cry:

Measure the actual angle, halve it and tranfer that angle to your saw.

Back