Look, no holes!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bodrighy":2fylm3ts said:
... Just keep it slow and use your ears as much as your eyes ..... Listen for ...the sound ...as the rough bits disappear.

That'll be Sliver doing a quick exit from the shed :lol:

I can't even work out how I can hold the thing to start with I WILL get there ... eventually.. meanwhile I'll just wonder at yours! :shock:

I had a problem with this, don't know if you can spot the result.
Ash, 3" tall 3" dia at top 1" at bottom. Not sure of the thickness but could see light through it so I stopped turning.

Pete

How did you manage that, unless the picture deceives me it's a little eccentric.

Good eyesight Chas. I cut the tenon slightly undersize and padded it with wet & dry when I reversed it. It slipped slightly and ended up with the centre a few millimetres off. It actually look OK in real life, just off enough to make you look twice.

Pete

Couldn't get on the lathe over the weekend. Had to be sociable and visit people :cry: Managed a few hours tonight after work though. A couple of 'love or hate' pieces. Both beech ( of course) One is a bit different so I've offered it for critique. (getting brave!!

Natural edge bowl markings don't show the depth which is approx 2" 9" dia.

Pete

Fed up with making bowls so did this instead. Vaguely remember seeing one this shape somewhere so have probably pinched the design, if it was anyone on here my apologies.

Spalted beech, 5" tall, 2" dia at top, 2mm thick, pretty consistent. Sealer & friction polish.

Pete

Very good too, the figuring works well on the bowl of the goblet and the resultant 'spotting' on the base goes well with it.

Bodrighy":2yqb4x7d said:
..... 2mm thick, pretty consistent. .....

8)

Paul.J":1qjyqnxw said:
Very nice Pete :D
Cracking piece of timber.Is this off your big tree :?:
Like the bowls too :roll:
Paul.J.

Thanks Paul, yes have a load of smaller branches that were dead and have spalted so thought I'd see what I can do with them instead of doing bowls. The natural edge bowl is from the beech as well.

Pete

Nice work,Pete - everything about it just gives it that much sought after "want to pick up and hold" quality :D

Andrew

Taffy Turner":2akuy0ni said:
I bet trying to get consistently thin walls in that timber was "interesting".

I thought it would be as the end grain on the original log was really bitty but in the end it cut really nicely. I found that I was able to get all the way down on the bevel of the gouge so was able to take Graham's advice and pare off very small cuts of wood so the sanding was minimal.

Pete

Thought I'd have a go at one of these, 23mm watch. It comes with a rubber band around the body but not sure whether I should glue that in to the frame. seems a bit loose but if I made the orifice (that sounds rude) any smaller it wouldn't fit at all. What have others done with these?

Wood is piece of old mahogany table leg.

Scuse bad photo, taking photos one handed after a few cans of Speckled Hen tends to make the image slightly blurry

Bodrighy":d6zb37oe said:
Scuse bad photo, taking photos one handed after a few cans of Speckled Hen tends to make the image slightly blurry

Taking a little time out to celebrate are we Pete :lol:

Do you know I can't remember what I did with the last one, you just reminded me there are some of them still in the shed I never got round to using, will have a look tomorrow and see if it jogs any memories.

I know the ones I did needed a knife blade or similar sliped behind the rim to remove for time and battery changes.

CHJ":1qev3y15 said:
Taking a little time out to celebrate are we Pete :lol:

Part celebrate part drowning sorrows. After playing on the lathe of course. Alchohol and fast moving mahinery are a big no no as far as I'm concerned.

Pete

Nice one Pete!

Just my preference but I'd have liked to see just a millimetre or two more on the diameter of the wood... eye of the beholder strikes again :wink:

Just been to look at the one I did and found that like Chas, a blade was needed to remove the insert. Rather than a rubber band mine has small serrated lugs that grip inside the orifice.

You're going to have fun turning the brass 'knob' for the top :lol:

Hi Pete, Like the goblets further up the posts, nice elegant shape.

Re - watch faces with rubber rings. I get mine from Meantime and they have a lot of watch face sizes that come with metal cups or plastic ring as the fixture. Using the metal cup the watch face actually clicks into place and is a solid fixing. These days I only use the metal cup, and glue it into place with CA glue. Not all their small models come with the cup but there is a good selection.

Back