Look, no holes!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Graham, it is fun. It's a different kind of challenge and seems strange not having the lathe shaking around. I need to refine the tools and the holding system. I am using a 20m jaws on a supernova but suspect I'll need pin jaws or make some wooden jaws if I am doing it regularly. Certainly less clearing up afterwards :lol:

Thanks for the inspiration

Pete

Well done Pete. Reading the comments makes me envious that I was away caravaning during the "bash".

You lot had a great time by the sounds of it, and me & 'er' had the pleasure of getting swamped and wading around in mud for a week.

As Graham says, you don't need a great stock of timber for those pieces :lol: Again well done with your baptism into miniature turning.

At last I managed to get on the lathe, seems ages.

Ash, 6" dia. 1 1/2" deep. Played with ebonising the rim and got som into the bowl so sanded it down with this effect resulting. Can't make my mind up whether I like it or not.

Pete

Critique welcome

Certainly enhances the grain, don't know that it is doing the piece any favours though, and on a bit of 'real wood' as well.

Good surface on it Pete, no discernable tool or sanding marks.

Could you touch up that little nick of missing colour on the left rim for me, I keep wanting to run the black felt tip over it. :lol:

Morning Chas,

I agree with the comment re not doing it any favours. I had only intended to ebonise the rim but as I got some spray in the bowl itself I thought I'd experiment. Still we don't know that something doesn't work unless we try it do we?
I do need to touch up the little bit on the rim. Apartfrom that I am quite pleased with the finish

Pete

Strange stuff wood, sometimes you can "mutilate" its natural structure extensively and it works for the piece, other times the smallest deviation from the natural looks out of place.

I would leave it as it is though, the enhancing will be mostly covered in use and I bet there will be as many people like it as is, as there are with doubts.

Next time you will take the time to mask it no doubt :lol:

Got to go, just been informed someone has been waiting for two hours for me to surface. :roll:

Looks good Pete :D
Makes the grain stand out more.
How much did the overspray change the colour of the Ash.
Couln't you remount and sand some off.
All the Ash i've got is near a whteish colour.
Paul.J.

The spray seemes to penetrate certain parts of the grain more than others. I did wonder about sanding it right out but decided to leave it for the moment. I had it mounted on a rebate so yes I can redo it if I want to.

As Chas said, someone somewhere will probably like it.

Pete

A little piece of Wenge from my tame furnitue maker

4" dia 1 1/2" high. Seemed a bit brittle but that may be because it was very dry. Polishes to a mirror finish.

Sealer and friction polish

Piece of wood from a skip diving expedition at a local hard wood merchants. Note no bark, holes, splits or any other form of rustification :lol:

5" dia. 3" tall. Finished with sealer & wax.
wood polished with the bevel but had a bit of end grain problem. Finish is really high gloss, must try and sort out my digital photography techniques.

Steady Pete, you're slipping into the realms of us traditionalists again.

Nicely done though, the internal finishing looks good, be careful about leaving such an unadorned consistent exterior though, someone might be tempted to draw pretty patterns all over it. :lol:

CHJ":2luyx8u7 said:
Steady Pete, you're slipping into the realms of us traditionalists again.

Nicely done though, the internal finishing looks good, be careful about leaving such an unadorned consistent exterior though, someone might be tempted to draw pretty patterns all over it. :lol:

I have got a couple of commissions from her already, she wants plain, light coloured things. Going to do some with the beech when it's dry enough. Don't think pyrography would work so well on green wood.

Pete

Tonights effort

Ash, 7" dia 2 1/2" tall. Rim is 1 1/2" wide. Finished with sealer & wax

Cherry, 3 1/2" dia 3" tall Sealer & friction polish 1mm thick at rim. 2mm at the base of the bowl

This one has again warped a bit already.

Pete

Hi Pete - like the way the inside of the top one is defined by the lip on the rim ("saturns rings" sort of a look);think it would look great if you made a lid for it.
Love the colour and grain pattern of the cherry,but have also found it more prone to movement that just about any other timber I've used :(

Andrew

Looking good Pete, the Ash one has given me an idea for something I was pondering.

With Cherry, the only way I have found to maintain shape when finished is to rough turn and leave for a while to sort itself out stress wise and dry further if needed, then finish off.
Even wood that appeared dry when roughed moved over a few days.

Back