Look, no holes!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Chas,

I have turned 2 pieces of cherry so far (knowingly), think I got them from you, and both have moved though so far neither have split. As you said both turned as though dry.

I have given you an idea? I have arrived :lol:

Pete

I like the ash one a lot. Particularly the way the grain works with the grooves. I did something similar in oak but was told that with such a strong grain pattern it would have been better to leave it without grooves. I disagreed then and now too.

Duncan

Thanks Paul. I am actually beginning to see a difference in the finish of my work. As soon as I get my lathe fixed up firmly I must have a go at that girt lump of chestnut that you donated. Tried it the other week and the lathe started dancing round the attic.

Pete

Bodrighy wrote
must have a go at that girt lump of chestnut that you donated. Tried it the other week and the lathe started dancing round the attic.
That's the beauty of the Hegner.I think i started my big lump off on about 90rpm.Then slowly built the speed up :shock:
I will look forward to see what you turn out of it Pete.
I should have cut it in the round for you i suppose.But thought i'd leave it so you could decide what to do with it.
Anything like Chas's and it will be a nice piece :D
Paul.J.

The perform only goes down to 330 rpm, a bitfastfor a piece as big as the chestnut. Especially as I have to turn it off the bed unless I chop it smaller which I am loath to do. It'll wait. Patience is something that I need to practice anyway

Pete

I chopped the big rootball in half and this is the bottom half. Approx 6" dia, 3" tall and thickness varies from 1mm - 12mm Sealed and waxed.

The round bit you can see in the last picture is a foot about 5mm high.

After seeing Andrews I wish I had put a small bead around the top as he did. Never mind one more rootball to go, perhaps on that one

Pete

Like it,Pete - think it works very well as a natural-edge piece.Lovely pattern on the inside of it :D

Andrew

Absolutely gorgeous Pete. I ain't gonna say anymore about it, that is my style of bowl.

Pete you have certainly turned a corner in this turning lark, that is a very effective piece. I think I'm going to have to russell up some black powder and retrieve a few of the root stumps in the local woods.

Probably the last piece for the weekend. Must go and chop up some more beech while the weather holds. This is cedar courtesy of a log from Dave Jester Thanks Dave. It's 12" dia. 2 1/2" tall sealed and friction polished with wireburns each side of the bead under the rim. I deliberately left it a bit thick as it is destined (like Andrew's platter) for someone who will be tossing his keys and mobile phone into it.

One more to be proud of Pete, Cedar is not the easiest of woods to maintain detail on, like the finish you have achieved in the base.

Form and function ...always a good symbiosis :wink:

so, what plans to give up the day job... :lol:

oldsoke":30ldo74u said:
Form and function ...always a good symbiosis :wink:

so, what plans to give up the day job... :lol:

If I ever get good enough I might consider it but you would be the first to tell me it ain't that easy. :cry:

Next step is to persuade SWMBO that I really could do with some lessons as there is so much I don't know. Plus you are only seeing the good stuff. I have a couple of boxes of mishaps awaiting a chuck change to do miniatures with. :lol:

Pete

Now you know why I do miniatures :lol:

Lessons are good but at your stage you should be able to be very clear about what you want to learn... it'll save you money and time :wink:

(e-mail anytime, I'm always happy to be a sounding board)

oldsoke":v7ksijz5 said:
Now you know why I do miniatures :lol:

(e-mail anytime, I'm always happy to be a sounding board)

I must admit I do find miniatures fun to do. If I get into them more seriously tho' I think I'll get another chuck. Changing jaws all the time is a real pain.

Thanks for the offer. Might take you up on it soon. Plenty of wood, lacking ideas

Pete

Very nice bowl,Pete - like the shape,rim detail,bead detail,finish...well,everything about it,really. :wink:

Andrew

Strewth Pete you've been going some aint ya. :D
Love the rootball again,but the Cedar piece is my favourite out them all,so far :lol:
Lovely shape and finish.
Paul.J.

Hi, not been on for a while :cry: but I have got to say I am in love with that root ball! :mrgreen: I really wish I could turn stuff like that lad! I keep picking up bits of wood but don't much further ](*,) .. top banana!!

mrs. sliver":1m05iuy3 said:
I have got to say I am in love with that root ball! :mrgreen: I really wish I could turn stuff like that lad! I keep picking up bits of wood but don't much further ](*,) .. top banana!!

After seeing some of the things that you have had a go at Mrs S I don't see why you shouldn't. Just keep your eye out for the scrappy, wierd shaped bits of wood that are lying around and go for it. Worst thing that can happen is you get some practice in. Just keep it slow and use your ears as much as your eyes when turning. Listen for the way the sound changes as it gets thinner and as the rough bits disappear.

Pete

Latest posts

Back