Look, no holes!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TEP":1h8s1gec said:
Go for it Pete, live dangerously and get a piece of "real" wood :lol: . Only joking.

Like the vase!

While your in a contemplative mood about spending money, you could invest in some powdered metal and epoxy. That crack would have looked good filled with brass powder.

Thanks Tam, I have wondered about filling but I have seen some really awful examples on the net as well as some beautiful ones so have hesitated (my middle name!). Probably give it a go soon. I have a few bowls that are badly split hanging around awaiting inspiration that would be good to practice on perhaps

pete

Nice work Pete. :D
Been new to Yew myself and really liking the wood,i have to say that the Yew piece really stands out.Lovely colour and shape :D
Paul.J.

Thanks Paul.

It's all heart wood unfortunately, I was given 2 logs and the outer layer was too soft so no contrasting white but it is a beautiful wood anyway.

Pete

At the mini bash Graham generously gave me a piece of 'proper wood' as he called it. Yhis is the result. I hope I have done it justice Graham. I got some wet & dry on it and you could skate on it it is so smooth.

Slightly spalted beech, 11 1/2" dia (only just got it on the lathe) 2 1/4" high.

I was also given two poplar blanks. Found it really difficult to get a good finish. Managed this but it was like turning cotton wool on the end grain.

3 1/2" high 4 1/2" dia in middle.

Comments welcome as always

Pete

Poplar one has a lovely shape and design to it :D
(And yes,it is somewhat soft and wooly to finish :( )

Andrew

Pete.Two very nice pieces there. :D
Nice shapes and finish,even on the Pop. :D
I found that giving the Pop a coat of sanding sealer first,leaving to dry, than sanding down again helps with the finish.
What do you think of turning with some "proper wood" :wink:
Paul.J.

Thanks Andrew, I am slowly trying to start hollowing out. Long way to go yet. Any tips on how to overcome the 'woolliness'? I sealed and sanded tree times but the end rain proved too wooly. I have one more piece left. Thanks for these pieces by the way Paul.

Paul.J. What do you think of turning with some "proper wood"

Turning 'proper wood' is so much easier. I did both in about 2 hours all told and it takes a lot longer than that using my usual stock believe me. Much easier to get a good finish as well.

Pete

Pete, you done great with those, just shows how much the perseverance with your rustic wood has honed your skills, even if you had not realised it.

The 'wooly' wood will never be easy, but sharp tools and differing cutting angles go a long way to taming it, if all else fails try a little cheating with the next piece and coarse sand it while still wet with sanding sealer, this may just fill the grain voids and stiffen it up to get a smoother finish.

One smooth operator :wink:

Nice work on the proper wood Pete :D (please repeat in 12th scale :lol: )

I like what you've done with the poplar... complete with scorching :shock: ... just a personal view, I'd have put a scorch line above and below the 'flute' just to emphasize it :wink:

oldsoke":1714vlbh said:
One smooth operator :wink:

Nice work on the proper wood Pete :D (please repeat in 12th scale :lol: )

I like what you've done with the poplar... complete with scorching :shock: ... just a personal view, I'd have put a scorch line above and below the 'flute' just to emphasize it :wink:

You're right, the wood is bland enough to take it. The scorching was done with the same sort of wire that you use only I took the insulation off first :lol:

By the way, re the 1/12th scale. I had a look im tool box and I had about 5 old chisels that I haven't used for yonks. I ground them down into miniature skews and scrapers. I am thinking that as the forces in miniature work is a lot less this would be OK to practice with (OK Ok I admit it.... I got bitten by the miniature bug watching you) As a safety fanatic, would you say I am OK using these? If so I will attempt to do 1/12th scale just for you. I have some spalted beech and I can core out a piece from the poplar.

Pete

Bodrighy":37ppbjrs said:
The scorching was done with the same sort of wire that you use only I took the insulation off first :lol: Pete
:lol: :lol:
Bodrighy":37ppbjrs said:
5 old chisels ... As a safety fanatic, would you say I am OK using these?
Pete

Yes, with a light touch :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Once you're into miniatures a piece of proper wood goes a long way :p

Sorry Graham, I failed. The big bowl is close to 12" so I should have made these about 1" dia. This one is 1/6the scale of the big bowl

Would you believe it, I can see toolmarks in it as well :shock:

and these are too small, about 1/24th at least. The base is also out of proportion with the top. Not so easy this miniature malarky is it?

Have to keep practising.

Pete

Certainly a little different from your previous output Pete, I guess the wood chip removal chore has just taken a nose dive.

On the subject of actual scale, I doubt it matters to anyone, it's the ability to create them that people appreciate.

I'd be happy with those for starters Pete. :D toolmarks or not.
Still Amazed at grahams pieces and turning.
Another few years Pete and i'm sure you'll be up their.You'll soon be doing demos.
Paul.J.

CHJ":1oznphdk said:
Certainly a little different from your previous output
Either you have been spending too much time with Graham or you have been at that Laphraoig I spotted in the cupboard :lol:

CHJ":1oznphdk said:
On the subject of actual scale, I doubt it matters to anyone, it's the ability to create them that people appreciate.
SWMBO's comment when she saw them was something like "aaaaaw" which I translated as "I like those" so I guess they were a hit.

I'll have to keep the shavings down if I make stuff this small. Drop it and it's lost forever, some of the shavings are bigger than the goblet.

Paul: I have a heck of a long way to go before I even think of trying to teach others unless it's how not to do things.

Pete

Bodrighy wrote
Paul: I have a heck of a long way to go before I even think of trying to teach others unless it's how not to do things.
Aargh,i did say a few years :wink:
That is a good start.
Paul.J.

Luv it!!

Nice work Pete, at this stage don't worry about scale... just have some fun :wink:

At these sizes you're using stuff that would normally end up in the bin... you can afford to push the envelope :lol: You'll lose a few (that's the voice of experience :wink: ) but you'll hone your skills with every stroke.

The bowl... a small bead on the top of the rim would make it appear less heavy...

The goblet... a little large on the foot ... 9/10 for the rest of it... (would have been 10/10 but nobody's perfect :lol: )

Not a failure Pete... it's a triumph, ask your good lady 8)

...from small beginnings.... :lol: ....turn a little every day... :lol:

Back