Look no holes Vol 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keeping to your thread title I see Pete, surprising how many colour variations are appearing in that horse chestnut from Paul, like the simple form of the Iroko, hope you don't fall foul of the stuff.

Both nice pieces,the colour and pattern of the horse chestnut looks particularly nice :D
Glad to see you're back turning again - I take it the ribs are getting better ? Bet you didn't find the iroko out in the woods,did you? :lol:
And found the same problem when turning large diameter items - need a longer toolrest :(

Andrew

PowerTool":5twlcpi6 said:
Bet you didn't find the iroko out in the woods,did you? :lol:
And found the same problem when turning large diameter items - need a longer toolrest :(

Andrew

I have pile of Iroko shelving given to me by Chas bless his cotton socks as he is seriously allergic to the stuff but I was also given a plank covered in cement dust 6' long, 3" thick and 10" wide that I have used as a bed for my lathe. When I cleaned it up it turned out to be Iroko. This is one of the off cuts. If I had any alternative wood for the lathe bed I'd use that but it has given a really solid base hence the big chestnut bowl.

Pete

Hooray.Glad to see you back up and turning Pete :D
The new set up looks as if it's made a big difference.Any chance of some piccys :?:
Two lovely looking bowls,which i'd say are amongst the best you've turned.
Nice shapes and finish.I like the brim on the HC piece.
How did you find turning the HC.

Paul.J":1eo2qdhu said:
How did you find turning the HC.

Hi Paul,
It seemed to cut well. I was getting a a ot of chatter when cutting the mmiddle out due to over reaching but apart from the end grain tearing a bit it was fine. Managed in the end but I will either have to make or buy a longer rest if I am going to make bigger stuff like this. I'll take some pics of the bench if you want but I warn you, my workshop is like my turning, made of salvaged wood. It's sturdy and solid but not pretty. I need to get some decent tools and start doing some flat work. Another slope to navigate. :roll:

Pete

Bodrighy wrote
I will either have to make or buy a longer rest
I'm sure you alreadt know Pete,but Axy do do a longer rest,300mm.
Here
I had it and the curved one when i had my Perform,though i coudn't get on with the curved one :roll:

Nice work Pete, nice shape and finish on both of them, although Iroko is not my favorite wood to work with, (made some garden furniture with it about ten years ago very dusty going through the spindle moulder) the furniture has stood up to the weather ok , only treated it twice.
I use a shaped tool rest so I can get is as close to the work as possible, and it certainly helps me on big deep bowls

steve

Hopefully back on track. Shed and lathe up & running, plenty of dry wood courtesy of PaulJ (Thanks Paul....only expected a few logs but got a car load.)

Piece of oak plank (I think) 12" dia. 2" high: sealer and Friction polish

Comments welcome as always

Pete

That's a beauty Pete, certainly got a good finish on it and the proportions together with the edge finish give the impression of lightness.

oldsoke":1513fiqv said:
Too damned clever by 'arf :lol:

Paul also gave me a bag (or three) of offcuts of tulip wood from his rocking horse which are ideal for some miniatures so hopefully \i will be taking a leaf out of your book Old Man and having a go at some small things soon :lol:

Pete

oldsoke":1h7yxy4w said:
You won't need all of it, surely...........old fruit :lol:

Depends upon whether it's a bumper crop this year. Be interesting to see some of it turned into Tulip fruit.
fruit.jpg

oldsoke":1b7h6e2f said:
Don't give him too many ideas Chas :lol:

I dunno, he's branching out into 'Normal' turning type stuff now, no knowing what he might do if we turn our backs.

Pete Buying wood, using Seasoned wood, what is the world coming to. :roll: mutter mutter mutter

CHJ":1h7xyliz said:
oldsoke":1h7xyliz said:
Don't give him too many ideas Chas :lol:

I dunno, he's branching out into 'Normal' turning type stuff now, no knowing what he might do if we turn our backs.

Pete Buying wood, using Seasoned wood, what is the world coming to. :roll: mutter mutter mutter

Things like this probably

Yew, 10" dia 4" tall

Thinking of putting it back on the lathe as it it looks too thick all over. I'll wait and see how it settles first.

Good night GOM

Pete

Pete.
That Oak piece looks lovely :D Nice shape and great finish.
I was told that the Oak came from the New Forest when i bought it,about 5 years ago.
Pity the Yew piece as broke out like that,but is more typical of your style.
Looking forward to seeing the rest.Even the firewood pieces :roll:

Bodrighy":22r9nlhz said:
Thinking of putting it back on the lathe as it it looks too thick all over. I'll wait and see how it settles first.

I would just think about it and forget it Pete. The chances are that by the time it has settled and more micro cracks have developed you may not be able to safely put a tool to it.

I have had to resort to sanding only on a couple of old Yew pieces after several months to blend in the movements.

It must be a real pleasure to have something to form rather than fight.

Latest posts

Back