Look no holes Vol 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bodrighy":3gzekm1u said:
.... Senior moments are getting more frequent :(
:lol: :lol:
You wait until you have to search for the non senior moment in the week, exercise may be good for the body, but when it is at the expense of numerous trips from one end of the plot to the other to fetch the bits you laid out so carefully a few minutes ago to save your legs you start to worry a little.

Nice set of bowls Pete and that wood looks gorgeous :D
I still can't get me head round how those off center goblets are made :roll:
Paul.J.

Paul.J":22aicmh6 said:
Nice set of bowls Pete and that wood looks gorgeous :D
I still can't get me head round how those off center goblets are made :roll:
Paul.J.

I keep finding the beech from the tree is spalted. In fact I have only had two pieces so far that haven't been. I am going to have to find some to remake the salad bowls as it is advised not to use it for food even with food safe finishes so these will become something else.

try this link, it might help to explain the idea of eccentric turning. Have a go it's fun as you have to keep looking for the ghost and can never be totally sure what shape you will get in the end.

Pete

Pete.
That piece is gorgeous.Cracking piece of timber.Love the shape showing the woods lovely figuring :D Very nice.
Thanks for the link too.
Paul.J.

Some great figuring coming out of that old beech tree Pete, and the long vase shape shows it off well with the plain unadorned sides, some reach you have had to cope with there.

Not so much chatter as full blown shouting towards the end. ! 8-[ My teeth are still banging together :lol: Seriously I have a 15" long 3/4" bowl gouge (a loaner) whih reached it's limit with the rest poking inside. Main problem was because the edge is slanted I had to be careful I didn't catch it and chip it. Went slow and careful at the bottom.

Showed SWMBO the hollowing tools, (Mark Hancock reccomended the O'Donnell one and let me have a go at Yandles ) She took one look at the price and walked away so I don't think I'll get one for Christmas this year :cry:

Pete

P.S. If anyone wants some of this beech please let me know and I'll store some up until we can meet at some show or other. It seems to be 90% spalted so far. Even the main trunk has spalting in it.

Bodrighy wrote
P.S. If anyone wants some of this beech please let me know and I'll store some up until we can meet at some show or other. It seems to be 90% spalted so far. Even the main trunk has spalting in it.
I'll swap ya for some Yew Pete :D
Paul.J.

Paul.J":iut725pl said:
Bodrighy wrote
I'll swap ya for some Yew Pete :D
Paul.J.

Done! I'll get some logs ut up and sealed. I've got some friends I visit in Midlands so I can get it up to you. Won't be until after hristmas mind.....

Pete

Bodrighy":2ifsfvzi said:
....... It seems to be 90% spalted so far. Even the main trunk has spalting in it.

If it is still active it might be an idea to to get some of it stored as dry as possible in the near future Pete, be a shame for it all to turn into ink blotter material.

CHJ":3fvalyu8 said:
Bodrighy":3fvalyu8 said:
....... It seems to be 90% spalted so far. Even the main trunk has spalting in it.

If it is still active it might be an idea to to get some of it stored as dry as possible in the near future Pete, be a shame for it all to turn into ink blotter material.

I am storing it under a roof in a 3 sided shelter so it is reasonably dry. Some of the really dead wood is a it soft on the outside but OK after about an inch. I just wish I had a bigger chain saw though 'os the trunk is 4' aross and spalted and wood make a lovely table top.

Pete

Bodrighy":28q3j4vd said:
............... I just wish I had a bigger chain saw though 'os the trunk is 4' aross and spalted and wood make a lovely table top.
Pete

Any chance of hiring one for a day, or do the H&S police insist on you producing a qualification cert, to hire one?

I'm afraid the big one I had access to is now out of reach due to split up of friends farm, might know the big one was the one that got away. Does the farmer not have one?

Bodrighy wrote
Won't be until after hristmas mind.....
No problem Pete.
If i could get down to you Pete i'd give you hand to cut it all up :roll:
Paul.J.

Nice vase and goblet there Pete, see I'm going to have to get a move on with you guys catching me up very quickly :lol: Can't beat a bit of competition to keep you on your toes.

Pity your so far south of me I would be down for some of that beech other wise. Got a big Stihl which would have sorted that tree out no problem. Mind you I'm just getting over a small opp. just now so couldn't even consider tackling a small tree, never mind some of the big ones around.

TEP":1882m9fc said:
Nice vase and goblet there Pete, see I'm going to have to get a move on with you guys catching me up very quickly :lol: Can't beat a bit of competition to keep you on your toes.

Thanks but I've a long way to go yet before I catch up on you guys. When I can produce things regularly then I will feel I am getting somewhere.

Pete

Looks like you are getting to know your Onions on this hollowing lark Pete.

Beaded box. 4" tall 2" dia. Beade with a skew after marking spaces with dividers.

Sorry about the lousy photos, I think I am going to have to invest in a new camera, this one has been bounced once too often.

Pete

Very nice pieces,particularly like the hollow form and finial;looks very elegant and again,lovely colour and figuring.

Are you making everybody's Christmas presents this year,or just trying to use the tree up as fast as you can..? :lol:

Andrew

Back