Look no holes Vol 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PowerTool":2mai4z4m said:
Very nice pieces,particularly like the hollow form and finial;looks very elegant and again,lovely colour and figuring.

Are you making everybody's Christmas presents this year,or just trying to use the tree up as fast as you can..? :lol:

Andrew

I am making some Christmas presents but also have a few Christmas sales to do. It'd take me a good few months working full time to get rid of all the wood. I also have more time on my hands at this time of the year so SWMBO is quite happy for me to be out from under her feet :lol:

Pete

Neat little hollow pot there Pete, they do look nice in spalted timbers. Like the box, but you need to get some more practice in with the beads :lol: tops are too flat.

Check out Chas's post at the end of my long one, he has just made a beading tool. They don't half make life a lot easier, and I've never been a advocate of doing things the hard way, or as they always have been done. If a beading tool is easier than a skew, then chuck the skew. IMO It is the result that counts, not how you get there. :twisted:

Thanks guys,
Re the beading tool Tam, how do you get the curve ground out? I have a mini drill with a couple of grinstones for it but imagine it would be pretty awkward using that?

Pete

Good attempt at the beading Pete.
Did you do the beading first,as judging by the width of them the shell would need to be pretty thick to have got them more rounded,wouldn't it :? :?:
Paul.J.

Hi Pete, re the beading tool I used. It was actually a Sorby fluted parting tool I bought at a flea market years ago for a couple of quid. Fluted parting tool Go down the page a bit, the one I used is the left hand one. Makes a bead of about 4mm, but if you move it gently side to side while cutting it will make a bead of half that size. Once one bead is done just push in again with one tip at the side of the previous bead. No measuring, and very little tidying up if your careful.

I have made them before from mild steel just using files. The edge don't last long but it was only for a one off. The way to make them to last, is to either use pieces of HSS strip (Ashley Ilse) or old carbon steel firmer chisels. Mark out the half circle needed at the end, and use a angle grinder to gently grind it to shape. The thinner the wheel the smaller the bead that can be made. Grind the sides to almost points for the valleys either side, and finish off with a shaped oil stone. When you stone the end make it slope back as you would with a scraper edge, and oil stone the top edge. To sharpen later just rub the top edge over the oil stone.

Or the easiest way is to buy them, but there ain't no fun in that :wink:

If you ain't got a angle grinder, you can buy small grinding wheels that fit into a normal electric drill, that would probably do the job as well. Your mini drill would do the job, just take a bit longer is all, and you don't want the cutout too big normally, you tend not to use big beads that often..

Spalted Beech, 13" tall, 3 1/2" dia @ top. Kept me out of the rain for a while: not too happy with the shape of the top, not quite how I had imagined it would look. Happy I managed to get it finished without it snapping though. Used the tailstock and tissue to steady it when doing the stem but it still whipped a fair bit.

Nice,looks very delicate (for "delicate" read "hair-raising" :lol: )
And more fantastic figuring :D

Andrew

Another nice piece Pete,and wood :(
I see what you mean about the top though.Perhaps if you had have taken a little more from under the bowl/stem section.Still you have plenty of wood left to have another go,and another............................
Paul.J.

Just the rim a little to heavy for me, great finesse to keep it in one piece Pete.

Hi Pete, big mistake! Looks like you took the photo too close up, and above. It has distorted the whole shape and made it look top heavy. I don't think it is, and if the photo had been taken from the side on the same level I believe it would show it.

SO! IF I'm right as above, I like it! Although if it was me I would have made a demarcation between the bowl and stem, and foot and stem. But that is only me, I still like it, and the timber.

As before I can see 'as gonna have to git a move on wiv' yu's guys catching me up. :wink:

Well done!

Managed to stay out of the rain again today. Used up a few bits from the offcuts box

First is made from a bit off some Iroko shelves (courtesy of Chas), second is a piece of hazel courtesy of the council hedge trimmers this summer.
Lights from boot sales in the true spirit of reycling (euphimism for skinflintism)

This is yet another piece of beech. 7" dia

Cut end grain it is developing a shake in the middle. Had this happen on another one and filled it with brass when fully dried out

Offcut of cedar (courtesy of Dave) only realised after uploading the pictures that it resembled the ones that you've been making Paul, sorry, imitation not intended.
6" dia, 3" tall, 2mm thick.

Pete

Some excellent recycling,Pete - particularly like the colour and grain pattern of the willow :D
Out of interest,where do you get your brass powder from? Have been thinking of trying it out,but can't remember where I've seen it (yes,I know,it's an age thing... :lol: )

Andrew

Nice work Pete :D
I just love the look of all the Beech your putting on.Plenty more to come i presume. :D
I'm sure there is nothing new that i've done or anyone else,so imitate all you like,i try to :lol: Just good to see how someone elses attempts lures others into doing something along those lines.
Paul.J.

Willow?....

I got one lot of brass powder, the really fine stuff from Turners Retreat but I also have a load of less fine stuff which I got from a couple of key cutting places. Just ask them if they could save the sweepings at the end of the day. You have to use a magnet to seperate the bits from steel keys but it is fine for those bigger holes when mixed with resin. I use thick superglue with the powder for small holes or cracks

Pete

Yet again some nice bowls there Pete.

I get my metal powders from Powdered metals don't know how they compare price wise with others, but at least you get a decent amount.

Sorting out my bits and bobs ready for moving next weekend and came across this. Forgotten about it.

A tatty old candle holder frame that I bought at a boot sale for the glass insert. Painted black, trimmed some of the frilly bits off it with a grinder and then made the vase to fit.

Vase is Cedar, 5" tall finished with sealer & wax

Don't know what the black on the rim is, isn't there on the real thing

Don't think that I'll be escaping to the shed for a week as I am going to be busy packing, unpacking and settling in then off to Cornwall for Christmas.

These things come to try us. :cry:

Pete

Certainly not shying away from the challenging shapes with that one Pete, hope it doesn't get lost in the move.

Just made it. Managed to get my lathe set up again just in time to start my second year as a turner :eek:ccasion5:

It is stable enough to turn the chestsnut lump from Paul

Chesynut 13" x 4" approx 4mm thick apart from rim which is 6mm
Sealer & friction polish

2 problems arose:
1 I need to get a longer toolrest to reach across bigger stuff when turning off the bed
2 I had a real problem using wax polish as it kept smearing. In the end I sanded it off and used friction polish instead

Iroko 8" x3" approx 2mm thick
Sealer and wax finish

Critiques welcome as always

Pete

Latest posts

Back