Look no holes Vol 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
First real attempt at hollowing. Not really happy with the inside though have seen just as bad at shows. Think the lid might be better in a darker wood but was using up scraps.

Cherry crotch (so may yet fall apart) with spalted beech lid. 4" dia sphere with 2" lid.

Vol 1 if interested

That must have been very satifying Pete!

I won't comment on the aesthetics... 'cos I know you have already formed what you'll do next time :wink:

* howzabout a link to Vol 1 for any new members who may not have seen it?

Bodrighy":2tv4jtki said:
First real attempt at hollowing. Not really happy with the inside

Pete I'm beginning to worry about you, rustic I can cope with coming from your direction but critical analysis of internal finish on something that shape and wall thickness is something else, well done. At least it is good enough that you have not tried to disguise it with black paint, which as you say is also often seen at shows.

Looks like it wasn't the easiest bit of wood to get a good finish on anyway.

On the lid front, it is not beyond a coat of stain or lacquer to change it if you think it would look better, mind you if it doesn't it wasn't me who suggested it.

That was quick Pete!

is there no end to this mans talents... rhetorical :lol:

Aint nowt wrong wiv that Pete, every bodies got to start somewhere, and almost as good as my first attempt :twisted: . Only joking, not sure about the lid though.

PS - See your bowing to public opinion and starting a new thread. (Shame on you [-X )

Very nice attempt Pete :D though it does look a tricky bit of wood to have attempted such a piece.
Not sure about the lid,doesn't seem to go with the ball/sphere. :?

Will vol 2 mean we are going to see more rustic pieces or are you turning a new corner now :?:
By the way how did you manage to get Vol 1 attached.
Paul.J.

Like the shape,Pete - but you don't believe in picking easy timbers to work with,do you :lol:
Are you asking Santa for some "normal" pieces of timber as a Christmas treat ? :wink:

Andrew

TEP":66o6n208 said:
PS - See your bowing to public opinion and starting a new thread. (Shame on you [-X )

Almost Tam, it was getting to the point where I thought that I might as well start a new thread as the other one was getting a bit long. What don't you like about the lid Tam? I feel it should be darker wood, more of a contrast personally but quite like the shape.

Paul J":66o6n208 said:
Will vol 2 mean we are going to see more rustic pieces or are you turning a new corner now
By the way how did you manage to get Vol 1 attached.

I am sure that you will be getting more rustic pieces. I have been givirn a 6 foot branch of cherry which is as dry as it will ever be though so I suppose I better use it.
If you open up a thread and copy and paste the address and use that as a link (URL) it will direct to the thread.

PowerTool":66o6n208 said:
Are you asking Santa for some "normal" pieces of timber as a Christmas treat ?

Hadn't thought of that Andrew, was thinking of asking for some lessons, learn how to do things properlike :)

Pete

Pete wrote -
What don't you like about the lid Tam?
Now 'e wants explanations! Sheeeee! #-o

I think it looks too heavy. I think the lid would have looked better if it had followed the inward curve of the form, before going into the finial. Like making the finial part a lot finer, and a definite part on its own. I do like to see delicate work, but 'eye of the beholder' and all that!

Still think it ain't bad for a first attempt, I'm just looking at the aesthetics. As Jimmy Clewes would say. :lol:

TEP":y90wnfxf said:
Pete wrote -
What don't you like about the lid Tam?
Now 'e wants explanations! Sheeeee! #-o

I do like to see delicate work,

Of course, that's what experts are for :lol:

Don't know if you'd class this as delicate?

Cherry, 10" tall, 3" dia at top, 2 1/2" dia base, 2mm thickness of top, sealer & wax finish.

I have a couple more of these logs so am going to try and make a pair, new experience for me, I'll have to use a tape measure :shock:

Pete

Now that I really like Pete, It must be the relief at attaining your new post, but that length of parallel stem is something else with no embellishments to hide behind, if you can get another piece of timber to play ball they will make a showpiece pair.

No expert :oops: Pete, just a bit long on the tooth.

Do like that goblet though. Very purty! Wanna see the second one :twisted: Mind you it hasn't got your trade mark, spalting/bits missing and so on :lol: you'll have to put your name on the bottom of it.

TEP":2yrbtabr said:
Aint nowt wrong wiv that Pete, every bodies got to start somewhere, and almost as good as my first attempt :twisted: . Only joking, not sure about the lid though.

Well done Pete :p

Nice to have a new thread , I cant see the inside of your latest work , but what I can see looks good to me :wink: , personally I like the top as it is , most times when I see light wood and a small dark feature it looks slightly odd . bit like the smaller piece is more dominant than the main piece , but thats just my opinion , well done

Allen

When I chain sawed the log up I didn't measure it. (surprise surprise) and the first goblet was the longest piece. Decided to make two more both the same size so there will be 1 large and 2 small.
So far ........

and for Allen....

Pete

Aaah! The long and the short of it!

Tip - If you want to make a matching pair. Start with the two pieces of wood the same size. :roll:

I'm obviously in one of my stupid moods tonight. :lol:

Bodrighy":1pk7nr0n said:
When I chain sawed the log up I didn't measure it. (surprise surprise) and the first goblet was the longest piece. Decided to make two more both the same size so there will be 1 large and 2 small.
So far ........

and for Allen....

Pete

and for Allen....

Oooo look , I can see inside :lol: Nice :wink:

Cherry goblets are excellent,Pete - really like the "slender and delicate" look that they have :D

Andrew

Back