Drawer's.....no not nickers.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clogs

just can't decide
Reaction score
well now that joke is outta the way......

being tight and always overloading drawers n cupboards.....
I need drawer runners that will take a lot of weight and not fall apart for little money........
bought in runners that can support 25kg and up to 50kg, being full opening are way to expensive.....
these are around 20years old now....
well my answer to it is this.....
wheel bearings from skate boards cost around £6 for 16.....or less from China.....plenty good enough....I buy them by the 100 for other projects....
on both single sided/opening and double sided/opening drawers I use 6 bearings per drawer ........
the bench supports are welded 50x50 angl iron.....but they could be wood, as this is a wood forum.....lol....
everything is built from scrap and off cuts of concrete shuttering board.....all screwed together with butt joints, drywall screws plus resin glue......
I have no real interest in looks, I need them to last.....guess u could make em prettier but I wont spend the money or the time.....
on later models drawers I've made the bearing attachment so that there's no welding nec, as the shaft / axle for the bearing is in a routed groove in the drawer bottom, mine are 18mm thick......
trapped by the mounting plate which pinches said axle to the wood.....axle size is 8mm rod.....about a fiver per meter....to do this simple job u just need an hacksaw.....
the bearing grooves I did on a milling machine but 2 drilled holes and a hacksaw will do the same job...
Beware, a lot of the modern bearings have plastic seals and they don't like heat.....
I made the bench runners so that when 1/2 or more opening the rear of the drawer hits the runner above so as to stop it tipping over, this sets a limit on drawer tip.......
to close the drawer it just needs a lift at the front and a shove then in she rolls.....
the Oxford welder is also on a drawer with the same bearing arrangement....
please note this bench gets moved around a lot of the time with either a pallet truck or forklift.....hence the locking drop bars for the drawer's....
u've seen the bench elsewhere.....but will include again...
hope this helps someone.....
IMG_9309.jpeg
IMG_9308.jpeg

DSCN2113.JPG

Latest posts

Back