Here's my one

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother had an RD500. The closest you could get to a track bike on the road at the time. I was riding a GPz900 at that time. The RD500 had terrible fuel economy and a small fuel capacity. We did Lands End to John O’Groats in a day and on three separate occasions he ran out of petrol. Way back then there was little in the way of police patrols so we simply brought the bikes in side by side and shared foot rests so I could push his bike. We still continued at well over the speed limit to the next garage.
When we used to go to Le Mans every year you had to be really careful on the toll roads. They timed you booth to booth and would fine you for speeding if the time was too short. Many of the booths had a lay by and snack van, so the crack was to hoon it between the booths, then stop and have a coffee before going through so your time was ok. Quite sobering when you are trotting along on your K100 at maybe 130 and someone comes past you doing something like 180 on an R1 or similar, certainly needed to keep an eye on the mirrors!

IN my 60's, two buggered hips due to a mild hip deformity giving me 90 yr old hips but still getting my leg over (the bike you grubby lot,). A Kawasaki ER-5 is all I can afford currently but a great bike for 500 quid and travels long distance really well. It hurts to mount it and hurts like hell to put my feet down as the seat then digs into the area of damage in my hips. So, time to buy a cruiser that I can step over rather than swing my leg over and one that has a lower seat height. A Suzuki 650 savage/S40 is on the list once i can afford one and it'll suit my riding style these days (I mostly drive my Suzuki Jeep quicker than I ride my bike.).

I am also trying to reinstate my two-wheel-drive Dnepr MT16 that was made in the Ukraine and is a hoot (especially when reversing a trailer lol).

Also wondering if I should volunteer for Blood Bikes. MMMM

Keep safe, it takes us oldies a long time to heal if we fall or get knocked off.

IN my 60's, two buggered hips due to a mild hip deformity giving me 90 yr old hips but still getting my leg over (the bike you grubby lot,). A Kawasaki ER-5 is all I can afford currently but a great bike for 500 quid and travels long distance really well. It hurts to mount it and hurts like hell to put my feet down as the seat then digs into the area of damage in my hips. So, time to buy a cruiser that I can step over rather than swing my leg over and one that has a lower seat height. A Suzuki 650 savage/S40 is on the list once i can afford one and it'll suit my riding style these days (I mostly drive my Suzuki Jeep quicker than I ride my bike.).

I am also trying to reinstate my two-wheel-drive Dnepr MT16 that was made in the Ukraine and is a hoot (especially when reversing a trailer lol).

Also wondering if I should volunteer for Blood Bikes. MMMM

Keep safe, it takes us oldies a long time to heal if we fall or get knocked off.
The dnepr must be strange to ride, especially if you forget to lean the right way on a bend and the sidecar wheel lifts off.

The dnepr must be strange to ride, especially if you forget to lean the right way on a bend and the sidecar wheel lifts off.
You sound like someone who has used an outfit! Yes, you do NOT lift the sidecar-wheel under any circumstances BUT if you do, you need to pull the cutch in before the wheel makes contact with the road. On the upside, no drag on acceleration or braking either, and much less handle bar wobble so it rides like a trike and is actually registered as one (complicated). My Russian IZH 350 Jupiter outfits that I owned decades ago were completely different and you'd lift the chair on those just to get around the corner more quickly, (ok, and for fun as well.).

Back