Look no holes Vol 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good work Pete... just a little concerned that any new members might think this is the standard on here :shock:

On the other hand it's inspirational, just shows what can be achieved with a little application... good to see!

A pair of hospital type lockable forceps will hold the abrasive and save the fingers, alternatively, a piece of ply shaped like a curved hollowing tool with a cleft (saw cut to wrap and hold abrasive) in the end will do a better job :wink: The cleft stick is great for getting down into deep straight hollows.

I can almost feel your sense of satisfaction, with that piece, from here :D

Thanks for the sanding suggestions everyone, I've got a few more pieces of these woods so I'll have another go and use some of them.

oldsoke":1fzjma91 said:
Good work Pete... just a little concerned that any new members might think this is the standard on here :shock: :D

Remember that I only started turning 15 months ago so what I am doing now is not beyond anyones ability. Especially as I haven't managed to get any lessons in yet (hope to this year) so am probably doing it all wrong. Still sharpening freehand as well so I have some reet funny shaped tools :lol:

oldsoke":1fzjma91 said:
I can almost feel your sense of satisfaction, with that piece, from here :D

Is it that obvious.

Pete

Bodrighy":3owb188n said:
.... I haven't managed to get any lessons in yet (hope to this year) so am probably doing it all wrong. ......
Pete

Save your money Pete unless you want to spend it on learning specific techniques 'cos from what I seen the product is right erge (where's the B accent on here :roll: ) the technique that works for you is right :!:

That piece looks great Pete :D
Is this a new route you are taking :?:

Oldsoke wrote
just a little concerned that any new members might think this is the standard on here
What about us older members :lol:

Mornin' Pete, NICE! I like the pot. Am getting worried about the competition that is appearing these days :lol: . Will have to get my finger out and get some more turning done. Again, very nice, how long did it take you?

TEP":2pyoa1g5 said:
Mornin' Pete, NICE! I like the pot. Am getting worried about the competition that is appearing these days :lol: . Will have to get my finger out and get some more turning done. Again, very nice, how long did it take you?

A lot longer than making a bowl :lol: Also the first finial snapped so I had to do another one. Probably about 3 hours in all. Hollowing out and trying to get the inside clean was the hard bit.

Pete

Fantastic stuff, Pete ..... most impressive and continually inspirational for another 'learner' here.
Looks like you have got the sphere about 'spot-on' on that last photo...
I think you can maybe safely say you've graduated from the 'beginner' status now ! :wink: :p

Looking good ! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

One of my daughters bought me Chris Stotts book on turning boxes for christmas and it got lost in the move. Found it again this week si had to have a go.

Spalted beech with a mahogany & brass inlay on top 3" tall, 3" dia sealed & waxed

Lacewood, 3 1/2" tall 2" max dia sealed & waxes

Spalted beech2 1/2" tall 2 1/2" dia sealed & waxed

Comments welcome as always especially on design as this is a new venture for me so any advice welcome

Pete

Looks like you've been boxing clever Pete :lol:
Three nice but different boxes,i like the last one best :D
Nice shape,and looks like you got the wall fairly thin.

Hmmm, I think someone has been kidding us along for a while somewhere, another leap forward in technique there Pete.

The simple form of the first one gets my vote as an object but the execution of the other two forms gets my appreciation on ability.

Bodrighy":17nxy7x2 said:
You sure you have not been taking those lessons you always promised yourself, as TEP said your competition is getting serious.

Pete - I think you've been secretly taking lessons as well... :lol:

All excellent pieces - the first spalted beech one gets my vote as the nicest looking timber,but the lacewood one wins as the most visually appealing shape :D

With the few boxes I've made,the problem I've found is that they often fit together beautifully when made,but are inclined to go slightly oval with time (and very difficult to re-chuck).If I was to make any more,would rough-turn them and leave for a bit,before finishing.

Andrew

Mornin' Pete, see your away again. For a new route you ain't doin' that bad, believe me.

As Andrew":3ueqzzyg said:
If I was to make any more,would rough-turn them and leave for a bit,before finishing.
It's the only way if you want boxes to last and stay in shape.

:idea: = If at all possible always make the joining spigot in the bottom part of the box. That way if anyone wants to use it as a working box and the contents don't reach the edge the lid will fit. I have seen very shallow earring boxes made where the lid fits into the base, and the box hardly holds anything.

There are a small number of box designs that the top has to fit inside the lower part of the box, but always try the first method, if possible.

Keep up the good work!

:!: Lessons......... when can you fit me in Pete :wink:

Just a thought on the inlaid box, a groove below the join would add something; I sometimes use a groove above and below the join... but only where I want to emphasise the 2/5ths lid and 3/5ths body (woodturners golden mean)

Had to get out of the way whilst SWMBO did the hoovering so went and did this.

4" tall base 3"" wood unknown sealed & waxed.

Fuzziness is the photography, must get that tent and do it properly :?

Just spotted your post Tam good advice, I'll try that with the next one.

Thanks for the compliment Graham but I've got a long way to go before I teach anyone. You guys are ay ahead of me still.

Had a chat with Tobias Kaye at Yandles yesterday. If I can I would like to get some time in with him later this year.

Unusual shape,Pete - makes me think of minarets.
Grain pattern looks quite like sycamore ?

Andrew

Mind you don't leave it on a chair :lol: The way you are going Pete, I would think a small variable (high) speed lathe could be on your wish list before long.

Latest posts

Back