Lidl's quibble quibble 3 year tool guarantee

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you buy something that does not work or you get bad service and you accept it and move on, I really really do not understand that concept.

If it doesn't work out of the box it goes back, but I do understand the concept that cheap tools may not last too long.

My old hilti te 750 was a beast, had it for about 25 years or more , purchased it and it was battered from day 1 . Had it for a 1 off job but didn’t think it would last the job of breaking up a 5-6 “ concrete path and smashing an old garage base into half but it just kept on going. Great tool but it was stolen last year .. you literally get what you pay for but a quality tool was built to last and designed knowing it will be abused . My belt sander , planer and a non hammer drill ( all makita ) 20-30 years old and still going strong. Re parkside tools wouldn’t be my choice nowadays but wish they were available when I was 14-15 and just starting out..

If it doesn't work out of the box it goes back, but I do understand the concept that cheap tools may not last too long.
But if it is sold with a 3 yr guarantee, then the guarantee should be honoured, otherwise it's fraud, plain and simple.
I've had a couple of parts replaced under the Lidl 3 yr guarantee with no problem.

Perhaps the ops problem was intermittent and didn't show up when he returned it. He didn't elaborate and is unlikely to now.

+1 for JJ1's post. edit for P.S. "and AJB Temple's".

Only been back to Lidl (and Aldi) a couple of times but absolutely no quibble - they didn't even ask ask what was wrong - "Doesn't work?" "OK then, take another one from that shelf over there, sign this form (just name and address) take this chit to the checkout, and off you go".

AES
I would suggest that must have been within a very short time of purchase as things are not kept on the shelves very long at all.

Sale of Goods Act no longer exists. CRA replaced it in 2015.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
CRA
Section 23: Right to repair or replacement

This section details a consumer's right to insist on repair or replacement of faulty goods, the cost of which must be borne by the trader. This includes the trader bearing any costs involved in the removal of an installed item and reinstallation of a replacement.

But if it is sold with a 3 yr guarantee, then the guarantee should be honoured, otherwise it's fraud, plain and simple.
I've had a couple of parts replaced under the Lidl 3 yr guarantee with no problem.

Perhaps the ops problem was intermittent and didn't show up when he returned it. He didn't elaborate and is unlikely to now.
If they're not expected to last, then don't give them a 3-year warranty

I have to say I have a number of their tools. Most are only used occasionally but some, their half inch drive cordless impact tool for example, have had some serious abuse and never missed a beat. So I am a fan. No way for example that I could justify the price of a plasma cutter, given that I only use it very occasionally. But theirs, at £100? Used it a few times and does what it says on the tin.

I think the other thing to bear in mind is that sometimes you will deliberately abuse a tool in order to do a particular job. For example my trusty reciprocating saw. Screwfix own cheap range about thirty years ago, Ferm I think, without going in the shed to look at it. Cost less than £30. Specifically bought for a job I thought it might not survive. Had it blown up after that one job I would have considered it money well spent.
First time I used it the Chineseium socket grub screw holding the blade rounded out. I thought Oh here we go. Put a decent screw in it and it has been going strong ever since. Had some serious abuse including being shoved deep into muddy holes to cut through stubborn tree roots, not something I would want to do with a several hundred pounds tool. Every time I use it I am conscious that it has paid for itself many many times over. It looks pretty battered and abused, but it just refuses to die.

First time I used it the Chineseium socket grub screw holding the blade rounded out. I thought Oh here we go. Put a decent screw in it and it has been going strong ever since.
You highlight another point, I believe some of these tools, obviously not those with a three year guarantee, are made to fail in a short time. Sometimes you can fix the Achilles heel, and have a passable tool for many years.

Not a woodwork tool but the principle is the same. Over 40 years ago my new bride and I bought a electric, covered frying pan in Crazy prices for the sum of £9.99.
In about 13 months it stopped working, so I took it apart and found that the power stopped at a small capacitor/diode/resistor type thingy. I took my soldering iron and replaced it with a piece of wire.
It was still working flawlessly 6 yrs ago when I binned it because I could afford something more aesthetic.

I'm sure if the OP spends enough time and causes enough trouble he will get the guarantee honoured - just don't be surprised when Lidls decides they're more trouble than they're worth and stops offering them. These days it seems people want to pay for peanuts but expect macadamia.

I wont touch them. I bought a Scheppach pillar drill from them which is adequate but far from accurate and a reciprocating saw that lasted 3 days, my wife was cutting up pallets, shaft snapped.

Let's be honest, if I was going to be using a tool on a daily basis then I'd want the best I could afford or justify spending on. You can't expect cheap tools to fulfil the job of top notch tools in a professional situation but if they're only used occasionally and not subjected to abuse, most cheaper power tools will be adequate, especially if on a tight budget. Often the limitations are in the hands of the operator rather than the tool in that they don't know how to use power tools correctly.

I've got an Aldi electric hedge trimmer which I've had since 2015 which was purchased as a stop gap due to my regular hedge cutters suddenly letting me down and I needed a trimmer urgently and surprisingly they're still going strong even after all those years of use and I think they cost maybe £20.00.
If and when they decide to give up the ghost, I'd honestly be quite happy to buy the same model if they still manufacture it.

I also have a LIDL multi tool which I've had since 2016 and it's perfect for those infrequent but awkward occasional jobs and while it's not in use every day, it's there if my other tools won't suffice and has been the solution to problems several times over the years so it's more than paid for itself.

The only tools I've had issues with from both companies are the cheap equivalents of the Dremel. I rarely if ever have a need to use one but I like to have a tool to hand should I ever need it and even cheaper tools can save the day on occasions.

The Aldi one failed but someone was using it and not me and he was a bit of bullhead when it came to using such tools so I think he was to blame by forcing it. It worked fine for me but as soon as he started using it...that was it.

The other instance was I brought home a similar one from LIDL and on startup it failed. I should have taken it back for replacement but kept forgetting to do so, so that in essence is my fault. That's not their fault, it's mine for not returning it.

I never bothered with power tools such saw benches, planers etc as I did everything by hand but after I was taken ill back in 2014, the regular use of hand tools was out of the question so I bought a Titan saw bench and planer thicknesser to help me. They're hardly the epitome of refinement but they do the job well enough as long as know their limitations and you wear ear defenders as they are loud.

The planer/thicknesser and table saw have been used alongside my Metabo 10" mitre saw absolutely countless times and have never let me down and I've had them 2015/2016 so they have more than paid for themselves and they are still in good working order as we speak simply because I understand their limitations and don't abuse them.

I've always preferred good quality tools but I'm not a tool snob. I know that if I use them correctly, my saw bench etc will help me turn out work equally as good as using the most expensive machines.

Well thats another few minutes of my life gone ;-)

I only realised almost towards the end that it was an ancient thread, I was wondering why I had a sense of deja vu ;-)

As to either Lidl or Aldis tools or other things come to that, I have several and all have given good service, and whenever I have returned an item, be it food, clothing or whatever, its been credited without a quibble

I had need of a multi tool a few years ago and bought a cheap Argos one, its done several and more jobs and is still going strong

These days I think as I buy something, whats the point of shelling out a bundle on posh tools when even the cheap stuff may outlast me !

Let's be honest, if I was going to be using a tool on a daily basis then I'd want the best I could afford or justify spending on. You can't expect cheap tools to fulfil the job of top notch tools in a professional situation but if they're only used occasionally and not subjected to abuse, most cheaper power tools will be adequate, especially if on a tight budget. Often the limitations are in the hands of the operator rather than the tool in that they don't know how to use power tools correctly.

I've got an Aldi electric hedge trimmer which I've had since 2015 which was purchased as a stop gap due to my regular hedge cutters suddenly letting me down and I needed a trimmer urgently and surprisingly they're still going strong even after all those years of use and I think they cost maybe £20.00.
If and when they decide to give up the ghost, I'd honestly be quite happy to buy the same model if they still manufacture it.

I also have a LIDL multi tool which I've had since 2016 and it's perfect for those infrequent but awkward occasional jobs and while it's not in use every day, it's there if my other tools won't suffice and has been the solution to problems several times over the years so it's more than paid for itself.

The only tools I've had issues with from both companies are the cheap equivalents of the Dremel. I rarely if ever have a need to use one but I like to have a tool to hand should I ever need it and even cheaper tools can save the day on occasions.

The Aldi one failed but someone was using it and not me and he was a bit of bullhead when it came to using such tools so I think he was to blame by forcing it. It worked fine for me but as soon as he started using it...that was it.

The other instance was I brought home a similar one from LIDL and on startup it failed. I should have taken it back for replacement but kept forgetting to do so, so that in essence is my fault. That's not their fault, it's mine for not returning it.

I never bothered with power tools such saw benches, planers etc as I did everything by hand but after I was taken ill back in 2014, the regular use of hand tools was out of the question so I bought a Titan saw bench and planer thicknesser to help me. They're hardly the epitome of refinement but they do the job well enough as long as know their limitations and you wear ear defenders as they are loud.

The planer/thicknesser and table saw have been used alongside my Metabo 10" mitre saw absolutely countless times and have never let me down and I've had them 2015/2016 so they have more than paid for themselves and they are still in good working order as we speak simply because I understand their limitations and don't abuse them.

I've always preferred good quality tools but I'm not a tool snob. I know that if I use them correctly, my saw bench etc will help me turn out work equally as good as using the most expensive machines.
''I've always preferred good quality tools but I'm not a tool snob. I know that if I use them correctly, my saw bench etc will help me turn out work equally as good as using the most expensive machines.'' Yes.

The problem with cheep Multitools is the vibration level, continued use can damage blood vessels in your hands and arms, look up vibration white finger.

Latest posts

Back