Lidl's quibble quibble 3 year tool guarantee

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnlovesoak

Reaction score
For those who may be tempted to buy power tools from Lidl (Parkside brand) my current experience with their 3 year guarantee says steer well clear. The guarantee gives reassurance that whilst not being the most precise tools, these cheap options will last. My experience is that they don't last well and if you return them with any sort of fault other than them completely stopping working, then you may be in for a nasty suprise. I returned a multitool with a broken switch, several months on and I still don't have a replacement tool and they are wanting to charge me a penalty charge for returning a faulty tool to me. Lidl themselves are trying to claim no responsibility for the warranty, even though the warranty book is Lidl branded. Their services agent have told me to pay the charge or they will skip the product. They now refuse to even answer my e-mails. I am now referring it to the Retail ADR and trading standards. If you buy a tool from Lidl, treat it as disposable and I'd forget the reassurance of their so called warranty. Just thought I'd share this.

Wow! Good effort for post 1.

Lidl tools (and Aldi) are indeed so cheap that they are practically disposable. Most people find Lidl honour the guarantee with no quibbles. If you are wanting serious quality and even fewer quibbles, then Festool is quite popular apparently.

I've had completely the opposite experience and have found their after sales service superb. No problem whatsoever on returning a product I wasn't entirely happy with.

+1 for JJ1's post. edit for P.S. "and AJB Temple's".

Only been back to Lidl (and Aldi) a couple of times but absolutely no quibble - they didn't even ask ask what was wrong - "Doesn't work?" "OK then, take another one from that shelf over there, sign this form (just name and address) take this chit to the checkout, and off you go".

AES

Of the very few things that have broken I have had no trouble with a replacement or refund, same goes for items I simply didn't want.

That being said, just about everything I have bought (that isn't disposable of course) has lasted much longer than the 3 years or I have broken it through my own carelessness.

Thanks for the replies. There appears to be a difference between the in store service from Lidl and their warranty support. If an item develops a fault further down the line (about a year in my case), then the store doesn't take it back and you have to contact Lidl customer services. Lidl customer services then pass your details on to a third party servicing agent in Germany that they have contracted to fulfill their warranty. You then have to post the item to Germany (they send you a prepaid label). It is this German service agent that I've been having all of the trouble with. No matter how much evidence I have provided them with details of the fault, they just kept coming back to me with a message that they have already told me that the item is not faulty and I have to pay a charge to get it back or they will put it in the skip. I've tried writing to Lidl and all they do is forward the e-mail to the service agent who sends the same reply. I've tried phoning Lidl and they claimed that the warranty is nothing to do with them, even though the tool is only made for Lidl and the warranty e-mail is a Lidl branded one and nowhere does it say that the warranty is not with Lidl. I have been truly shocked at how rubbish their customer services have been and as others point out, a big difference compared to the more friendly face of their in store staff.

Festool, oh how I dream of a Festool!

Your contract is with Lidl, not any other company.

The sale of goods act covers this very clearly.
Begin a county court case against Lidl and watch them jump.

MrTeroo":uf4u0o9c said:

Sale of Goods Act no longer exists. CRA replaced it in 2015.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bobby's life tip.

move on ...........

the hassle of signing up to forums, posting a rant etc etc, the resentment is all yours, the service agent is not losing any sleep, it is just you.
Would you rather be happy or right ....... let it go. Move on

GeordieStew":2rrrhb2g said:
MrTeroo":2rrrhb2g said:

Ok, thanks

So to recap, your contract is with Lidl.

The Cambrdgeshire Rowing Association cover this very clearly.

Thanks for sharing OP, sounds like a real pain and worth thinking about next time I look at one of the tools in their centre aisle.

Last year I bought a handful of rakes from Lidl. I knew I was going to be doing a lot of concreting. One day we were raking pumped concrete around a double garage slab in a frantic attempt to get it distributed evenly before it started to set too much. I managed to bend one of the rakes. Relating this story to my brother (who is very tight) he said " you want to take that rake back, mate!".

It cost £5. I knew it was not a top notch piece of kit. I'm still using it actually. I can't help thinking that Lidl is not actually a tool shop. They sell all kinds of cheap stuff and we know we are taking a punt when we buy it. Usually if stuff is carp it goes wrong early on and we can just pop it back to the store. Dr Bob got this one right in his advice above. Honestly, stop wasting your life on trivia.

GeordieStew":17l9wkbk said:
MrTeroo":17l9wkbk said:

It does if you purchased an item prior to the CRA.

Anyway, for JLO: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... r-repaired

If you sent it back as a faulty item and they are saying it isn't faulty, they are not refusing to honour the warranty, they are arguing the fact that you have sent it to them in the first place and it isn't faulty....!! Perhaps you have just managed to get a bit of dust into the switch. Plasterboard dust can be a pain in the asre if you get it into any switch,.......even on tools that are far more expensive and better quality than you would buy from Lidl or Aldi. Often a quick blow out with an airline is all that is required.

As the others have said, move on and forget about it.

AJB Temple":2d1scfgx said:
Last year I bought a handful of rakes from Lidl. I knew I was going to be doing a lot of concreting. One day we were raking pumped concrete around a double garage slab in a frantic attempt to get it distributed evenly before it started to set too much. I managed to bend one of the rakes. Relating this story to my brother (who is very tight) he said " you want to take that rake back, mate!".

It cost £5. I knew it was not a top notch piece of kit. I'm still using it actually. I can't help thinking that Lidl is not actually a tool shop. They sell all kinds of cheap stuff and we know we are taking a punt when we buy it. Usually if stuff is carp it goes wrong early on and we can just pop it back to the store. Dr Bob got this one right in his advice above. Honestly, stop wasting your life on trivia.

Anyway I think Lidl would say that their rakes aren't made for concreting garage floors!!

John

The best explanation of a Rake I have ever found, from the Cambridge Concise English dictionary:

"Old-fashioned" A man, especially one who is rich or with a high social position, who lives in an immoral way, especially having sex with a lot of women.

Mike

doctor Bob":br7ukezx said:
Bobby's life tip.

move on ...........

the hassle of signing up to forums, posting a rant etc etc, the resentment is all yours, the service agent is not losing any sleep, it is just you.
Would you rather be happy or right ....... let it go. Move on

I guess it depends on how principled you are. Where would you draw the line ? Would you say the same if the item was valued at £100? £1000 ? £10,000 ? If not then that's a very slippery slope you'd have us go down.

Are you saying that if anyone of us has an issue with a supplier that we should simply stay schtum ? Not alert others to a possible problem? I thought that that was one of the things that forums were for ?

Back