Lets see your wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1050.jpeg
Well I finally got my hands on the elm 😁😁😁

The sender managed to speak with the collection driver who found it had been delivered to a garden centre 1/2mile away …….turns out somehow the parcel had their address on it 😡😡😡

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpeg
    IMG_1050.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
If your area of Wales is anything like ours ( we share our post code with six other properties in the area ) then mistakes of this nature do happen, especially if the sender has used your postcode to generate the address. 🤔

If your area of Wales is anything like ours ( we share our post code with six other properties in the area ) then mistakes of this nature do happen, especially if the sender has used your postcode to generate the address. 🤔
Six is unusually small - in my neck of the woods 20 is usual. I have a different issue though, along with about 50 of my neighbours I have a address which is identical to another - with a different post code - some 350m away ! I often get food deliveries that I'm not expecting and likewise don't get post I am expecting :mad::mad:

It will become the top of a 4 leg coffee table. Joining the book match pieces & flattening it will be the 1st challenge as I recon I’ll loose 8mm of the 22mm thicknes. Plan is to support it on slats underneath it.

It will become the top of a 4 leg coffee table. Joining the book match pieces & flattening it will be the 1st challenge as I recon I’ll loose 8mm of the 22mm thicknes. Plan is to support it on slats underneath it.
Wow that's just over a 3rd of thickness 😲 is it that badly warped? Looks like you'll lose a little in the middle too to get them to sit flush but it will look amazing when finished, can't wait to see it done 😁😁

Been playing with a pippy oak slab I turned into a side table over three years ago … before I got into surface milling etc.

A quick removal of 5mm on the top & bottom flattening it nicely and removing a discoloured satin varnish them I’ve sanded to 400 grit and applied a finish recommended on here - 1 part satin varnish, 1 part white spirit & 1 part tung oil.

IMG_1070.jpeg

Met an Instagram friend today, I've followed him there for a while and a few months ago SWMBO met him at a local craft market and we've exchanged messages on Insta ever since, we've been planning to meet up for a while and today we finally managed it, I had a few big lumps of Ash from the tree opposite school that was cut down in January I had said he could have and he brought a box of goodies for me that I wasn't expecting, monkey puzzle, robenia, pear, spalted beech, cherry and I think he said Douglas for but I can't remember for sure.
20230715_132108.jpg

With the schools new perimeter fence going in at warp speed I figured I needed to bring in some of the wood they've had to cut down so this morning armed with handsaw and wheel barrow I made 3 trips out the field and brought this little lot back, quite a bit more Holly than I thought I would get but there's also Hawthorn, birch sapling rootball, Ivy and a few bits of what I think is Laurel? It's a pest that won't die and keeps growing back.
Wad just about to start sorting and sealing it all when the sky opened up and started pouring with rain so it can sit there and wait.
20230722_120542.jpg

If you had a spare £1k to spend on some boards, what would you buy ?.

Exotic imports, all curly grain with mind bending figure, or bog standard oak and maple.
(Awaits inevitable Bog Oak quip)

Admittedly you'll get a shed load more oak or maple than you will exotic for that money. But in the fine furniture game, exotics usually attract greater interest and a higher price.

If you had a spare £1k to spend on some boards, what would you buy ?.

Exotic imports, all curly grain with mind bending figure, or bog standard oak and maple.
(Awaits inevitable Bog Oak quip)

Admittedly you'll get a shed load more oak or maple than you will exotic for that money. But in the fine furniture game, exotics usually attract greater interest and a higher price.
Any boards I buy would end up as turning blanks so I would probably go for something that would give nice platters/bowls

Went out to wax the ends of the wood I collected yesterday and my heat gun packed up, won't blow or heat so had to improvise, SWMBO is out all weekend so I took a small round oven tray and put it on the smallest hob at its lowest setting with my candle wax in it, whilst I waited for that to all melt down I brought the wood round into the back garden and started trimming carp ends off and cutting to sizes I can store then made an absolute mess in the kitchen, the ivy especially made a lot of mess but I had plenty of time to clean up after I was done. The pics show most of the Hawthorn, Ivy and Holly, I forgot to take a pic of the birch root ball that I cut into 3 pieces and the laurel which I got several small crotch pieces and a few straight bits from. Now I just need to tidy the makerspace and make room for it all, there's more than I thought there would be, I still have some absolutely massive pieces of Ivy to remove from trees around site but they will have to wait, i still need to work out how I'm going to fit the new bandsaw in, I may have to rearrange the whole makerspace again ☹

20230723_141953.jpg
20230723_141944.jpg
20230723_141937.jpg

Just picked up some Okoume blanks.
Large square is 16x11.5 inches smaller ones are 11x9 and the spindle blanks are 3.75x12 and x9. All for £20.
Result. Just got to see what it turns like now. They do feel heavy so I'm hoping my little AC305WL will cope. Cut the corners off to make it fit.PXL_20230907_152209481.jpg

Back