Lets see your wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think those are cabbage trees, but palm. A tropical import that grows well in our climate. I have a few in my garden.

IF they are, the wood is useless, just wet compact fibre. Clogs chainsaws, and absolutely stinks when burned. The leaves, one dried, make great kindling as they are full of oil. Almost impossible to kill as well, so I expect they will grow back when chopped down...

Back o my site walkabout I noticed that 2 palms we have near our main building have not come through the winter very well, I suspect they will not revive this spring so may end up cutting them down 😥 they are probably not much more than 150mm at the base and 100mm near the top so almost completely useable, anyone tried to turn this stuff before? I'm expecting it to be very very soft
View attachment 156294

A "pussy cat-willow" tree collapsed in my neighbours garden recently and I offered to remove it. Most will end up as firewood but I rescued a few logs from which I hope to get some short boards. One of the logs was just too big for me to pick up so instead of cutting it in half transversally, after trimming it, I cut it in half along the length; making the chainsaw work hard! Water was running from the cut surface! It will probably crack and split even though I have painted the ends with End Sealer, but it was free wood.... free apart from some hard labour. Now I just have to slice it up on the bandsaw and wait a couple of years :)

(LOL the web site insists on inserting the word "cat" between p-u-s-s-y and willow! We're talking about trees here! Salix caprea!

Attachments

• IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Anyone turned ivy before? I'm working my way around the school site removing ivy that in some cases is literally choking some of the trees to death, today I came across this one, the base of the ivy is almost 150mm thick, hoping to get some decent pieces off that I can seal and store.
20230418_170455.jpg
20230418_170449.jpg

I've only got about 1/3 of the site done so far, I've got 2 huge oaks to get to yet that are also struggling under the weight of the ivy.

I've got two 8x3 X 4ft lengths of old vintage pine timber, from a bay windows that were removed really close rings any idea what to make from it?

P1170552.JPG

At last I'm getting round to using some of the yew i put down over 4 years ago. Here's my report on it.
Planing these up was the last job I did on my Felder (it's now residing in Norfolk)
My granddaughter has requested a 'naturalistic' set of corner shelves so I haven't got to do much with them apart from sawing a reasonably straight rear edge on each.
These are the ones I've selected:-
P1170555.JPG

They idea is that they will appear to be partially supported by a sapling tree growing up through them.
A bit out of my comfort zone. this one.
Brian

So spent this morning at work removing a section of the ivy from the poor strangled tree, it was harder work than I expected but got it off in 1 big lattice section but forgot to take a pic, unfortunately a large section of bark came away too and it looks like the tree is dead or close to it.
20230418_170455.jpg

20230419_102136.jpg

I then spent the afternoon cutting it all up and sealing with wax, using the hot air gun to burn away the hairy roots which has resulted in a very smelly and smoky makerspace but I've got quite a lot of stuff that should be usable, might turn some of it green
20230419_163751.jpg
20230419_163740.jpg

Paid a visit to RHS Bridgewater today so these are not my wood piles but when the wife saw me with the look of " I wonder what I can make" I had to take a few pics. Not sure how much is usable but wanted to have a rummage to see but got the death stare so stayed away 😂😂

Attachments

• PXL_20230428_120432941.jpg
    PXL_20230428_120432941.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230428_121154917.jpg
    PXL_20230428_121154917.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
Paid a visit to RHS Bridgewater today so these are not my wood piles but when the wife saw me with the look of " I wonder what I can make" I had to take a few pics. Not sure how much is usable but wanted to have a rummage to see but got the death stare so stayed away 😂😂
I'm the same when we walk the dogs, the forest bit we take them to half conifer and half silver birch with a few other species mixed in, there's so many dead/ fallen trees I'm always rooting around looking for burrs and getting told "no" constantly 😆

Had to have an Oak and a diseased Silver Birch removed yesterday so picked a few pieces out, small bits of Oak and a few larger bits of Birch with some nice figuring in the cross section and one piece of rotten willow that might not be useable, hoping to get it all sealed today at least.
20230531_125439.jpg

Back