Lets see your wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What an eye opener and I doff my hat to all you fellers, starting your woodworking activities literally 'at the tree.'
Feeling a bit ashamed because of how easy I have it by comparison - all the timber I use is given to me in the form of old and discarded furniture so no flitching, drying, milling... the most I have to contend with is possibly scraping off a bit of decades old varnish. I'm a wimp by contrast.

Had a pleasant day milling a bit of cherry and some nicely coloured ash. Quite looking forward to making a bowl out of that crotch piece.

Attachments

• IMG_20230222_142935_309.jpg
    IMG_20230222_142935_309.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230222_154554_170.jpg
    IMG_20230222_154554_170.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230222_155412_212.jpg
    IMG_20230222_155412_212.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230223_203306_327.jpg
    IMG_20230223_203306_327.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
@alex robinson that's some set up you've got - what is the thinnest you can mill with it please?
I don't really know. You could cut at 5mm if you were careful, but the kerf is huge so you would be turning most of the log into sawdust. Also through and through cutting gives quite a bit of cup. I tend to cut most stuff at 2" or thicker. Do you have an interesting plan in mind?

Since I started woodturning my ears seem to be able to zone in on anyone using a chainsaw, this morning whilst opening up the school I heard one being started up in the car Park next to the school field, I was straight out there to see what was coming down, it was a very rotten willow, there wasn't a lot of decent stuff but I got chatting to the guys and said that if it makes life easier for them they could tip the chipping in school under a big shade sale we have, they jumped at the chance, I couldn't resist temptation and picked out a few bits that didn't have any rot in them
20230331_161734.jpg
20230331_160449.jpg
20230331_155435.jpg
20230331_155430.jpg
20230331_155427.jpg
20230331_155417.jpg

Back to my site walkabout I noticed that 2 palms we have near our main building have not come through the winter very well, I suspect they will not revive this spring so may end up cutting them down 😥 they are probably not much more than 150mm at the base and 100mm near the top so almost completely useable, anyone tried to turn this stuff before? I'm expecting it to be very very soft
20230331_170005.jpg

Since I started woodturning my ears seem to be able to zone in on anyone using a chainsaw, this morning whilst opening up the school I heard one being started up in the car Park next to the school field, I was straight out there to see what was coming down, it was a very rotten willow, there wasn't a lot of decent stuff but I got chatting to the guys and said that if it makes life easier for them they could tip the chipping in school under a big shade sale we have, they jumped at the chance, I couldn't resist temptation and picked out a few bits that didn't have any rot in them
View attachment 156288View attachment 156289View attachment 156290View attachment 156291View attachment 156292View attachment 156293

Back to my site walkabout I noticed that 2 palms we have near our main building have not come through the winter very well, I suspect they will not revive this spring so may end up cutting them down 😥 they are probably not much more than 150mm at the base and 100mm near the top so almost completely useable, anyone tried to turn this stuff before? I'm expecting it to be very very soft
View attachment 156294
Willow can be very pretty, especially if it is a bit rotten. I cut these a while ago and am looking forward to turning them. They are the tops of an old pollard, so loads of crazy grain. Bit of a faff getting a clean cut though!

Attachments

• IMG_20211230_135824_035.jpg
    IMG_20211230_135824_035.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
View attachment 156288View attachment 156289View attachment 156290View attachment 156291View attachment 156292View attachment 156293

View attachment 156294
Love the idea of the palm. Will be really interesting to see how it turns out. Perhaps lots of wood hardener? Looking forward to pictures!

Love the idea of the palm. Will be really interesting to see how it turns out. Perhaps lots of wood hardener? Looking forward to pictures!
So the rot in the willow was literally like a sponge and could be crumbled in the hand so no way of saving it, your stuff is very colourful, mine is very plain and almost white, I have some almost dry stuff from a tree that came down in last year's storm and I find it very fibrous, difficult to get clean cuts unless the gouge is razor sharp but sands quite well.
With the palms I may consider looking for someone that would be willing to let me pay them to stabilize a few pieces with cactus juice and vacuum chamber but that won't be for quite a while in till the minister levels are right down, plus side being that they will be easy to store, I'll probably cut them at ground level then in half and store the 4 pieces once end sealed

View attachment 156294
I guess you 'wood' need a palm sander! 😂

Wood dries at 1 inch per year, plus one year I have heard. So a 7 inch thick chunks air dries or shall I say comes to equilibrium to the environment it's in in about 8 years.
Not sure how good that rule of thumb is for anything apart from standard planks. End grain slices will dry much fast, so that should definitely be stable. I think over about 5 inches stuff gets very slow. A 7 inch thick plank would be almost impossible to air dry reliably.

Back