Lets see your wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20230831_220638_702.jpg

A couple of slices of beech. Don't look very exciting at the moment, but the colour was pretty good when I cut them, so have high hopes.

Been on a road trip today to collect two large slabs of wood

both 2400 mm long and 100mm thick

IMG_1173.jpeg

Top slab is 850mm wide beech and underneath it is a 550mm width chestnut slab

beech weighs a *****ton

plan now is to take it to a guy with a portable mill and get both slabs cut to 50mm thick. One section of beech is for a bespoke dining table for my eldest the other might be cut into smaller coffee tables I think.

Last edited:
Been on a road trip today to collect two large slabs of wood

both 2400 mm long and 100mm thick

View attachment 167954
Top slab is 850mm wide beech and underneath it is a 550mm width chestnut slab

beech weighs a *****ton

plan now is to take it to a guy with a portable mill and get both slabs cut to 50mm thick. One section of beech is for a bespoke dining table for my eldest the other might be cut into smaller coffee tables I think.
Have a look at this guy's YouTube channel for table ideas, particularly if there are cracks or defects in your slab.

A couple of weeks ago I got hold of some Silver Birch.

20230902_123247.jpg

On the way back home on the same day, I stopped off and cut a few pieces from a fallen Oak Branch close by.

20230902_135614.jpg

And a couple of days ago, I revisited the fallen Oak and got a few more large chunks and also some smaller bits for firewood. I drove by yesterday and someone else has cleared up the rest of it. :)

20231009_130604.jpg 20231013_141555.jpg

I’d put a bid in on an eBay offering of a 2-3” thick x 32” dia oak cookie slab and won it for the vv good price of £26 😁

An hours drive to near Stafford today to a farm based wood yard ….and wow what a find. A great guy called Ross who has loads of different species in both planks/ slabs and smaller pieces for those into turning or even pen making ….including iroko, Douglas fir, wenge, padouk, oak, walnut etc.

Here is the oak cookie after a quick use of my trusty Wolf belt sander

IMG_1272.jpeg

I spotted an 8” thick 30” cookie cut labelled bosse - also known as Nigerian pear wood, this looks like the dark version ….Guarea thompsonii Sprague

it a 100Kg beast and a deal as done at £30 ….WOW 😍😍

again a quick attach with 60/80/120 grit

IMG_1273.jpeg IMG_1274.jpeg

Reserved a 3.5 m long x350mm x 80 mm slab of sycamore fir less than £100 too .

If anyone wants his details pm me

Last edited:
Spent this morning felling a Silver Birch and all afternoon processing it, at barely a foot thick I decided I wanted the little growths more than bowl blanks for a project that I'm working on so I now have a pile of small blocks and a few small bowl blanks, only got half of it cut up so far. The 3 remaining trees in that spot have some very big growths.
20240120_131831.jpg20240120_131836.jpg20240120_131843.jpg20240120_131858.jpg20240120_131922.jpg20240120_131939.jpg20240120_132008.jpg20240120_171915.jpg

Is this a spring cleaning thread, or a fancy wood thread, ?
If the former ....
I've been working on hiding everything else I have, and only have iroko on hand.
A thorough re arrangement of the shed so I can try turning some metal soon.

Need to either make some shelving or make more things mobile.

View attachment 127314
I never thought I'd see a shed less tidy than mine.

I never thought I'd see a shed less tidy than mine.
Not going looking to see the date of that post, but thanks for reminding me of my uselessness. :mad::ROFLMAO:
Still a bit of a mess yet, and still chipping away at the damn auld logistics.
Though you make a mess sound difficult, when infact that's all too easy.
The simple recipe of finding capable old cheap machinery for a workshop with no overheads,
equals, at least one thing disassembled, in a tight and likely chilly space.

It'd be OTT spending time making things like captured feet below if the place was larger,
but as far as I'm concerned, there ain't no choice for me.
so that's metalworking for the foreseeable future, as still got that list to do I mentioned.

Sorry, not been taking more snaps of some new skiphauls as it's been a tad gritty for me camera.

SAM_8728.JPG

Not going looking to see the date of that post, but thanks for reminding me of my uselessness. :mad::ROFLMAO:
Still a bit of a mess yet, and still chipping away at the damn auld logistics.
Though you make a mess sound difficult, when infact that's all too easy.
The simple recipe of finding capable old cheap machinery for a workshop with no overheads,
equals, at least one thing disassembled, in a tight and likely chilly space.

It'd be OTT spending time making things like captured feet below if the place was larger,
but as far as I'm concerned, there ain't no choice for me.
so that's metalworking for the foreseeable future, as still got that list to do I mentioned.

Sorry, not been taking more snaps of some new skiphauls as it's been a tad gritty for me camera.

View attachment 174186
I have rough stone walls with mud for mortar and the floor is the original very rough flags for a cow stall. So no wheels or shelves. Mine is a disaster, keep promising myself I will sort it out.
My saw, a startrite was bought from a school in Ardee and the planer thicknesser imported to Louth from Italy.

I have rough stone walls with mud for mortar and the floor is the original very rough flags for a cow stall. So no wheels or shelves. Mine is a disaster, keep promising myself I will sort it out.
My saw, a startrite was bought from a school in Ardee and the planer thicknesser imported to Louth from Italy.
Sounds tough, and I thought my soft unlevel concrete floor was bad!
I do hope you've got space in there, or possibly another shed for the clutter.

Tom

Sounds tough, and I thought my soft unlevel concrete floor was bad!
I do hope you've got space in there, or possibly another shed for the clutter.

Tom
10x5m but doesn't make up for not being able to move anything or place a roller stand

10x5m but doesn't make up for not being able to move anything or place a roller stand
And the Startrite, if it's the sliding table version like mine, doesn't like not being level, nor lend itself well for making outfeeds due to the fence rail at the back.
I've been pondering on how best to do that, as I've got some old box iron what's just the job for it.

It might be more challenging than I figure, to have something which won't go on the wonk the minute it's moved, and I'm not even sure I'll be successful without some attention to the floor,
perhaps I should'a bought something which didn't have a biscuit tin cabinet,
and bolt stuff to that, rather than what I'm at.

Went back to my wood guy in Stafford today to collect 2 of 2 m slabs of sycamore 80 mm thick by 450mm wide. Closer inspection revealed some slight spalting too.

IMG_1288.jpeg

IMG_1290.jpeg

IMG_1289.jpeg

He also had some 50 mm thick slabs of sequoia…..brought one down from his racks and my wife immediately said …mmmm very special waterfall table material

IMG_1287.jpeg
The slab is 2700mm long x 800mm at its widest and 400mm at the narrow end …..amazing very flat piece and a bargain at under £100 😁😁😁

Plan will be to cross cut it as it necks down, then use the 400mm piece as the waterfall leg and there might even be a 400x400 off cut for a matching side table.

Needed to cut down the sequoia to ease my storage in the garage so today I firstly ran over it with 120/180 belts on my sander, then looked for the best cut line to give a large coffee table and use the sweeping hardwood lines to follow down the waterfall leg.

Here are the two pieces after the cut and a wipe over on the table top to reveal the grain

IMG_1296.jpeg

I’ll post the further steps in the project folder.

Local tree surgeon gave me a call this morning saying they needed somewhere to tip 2 loads of lime woodchip, they got my number from a website I signed up to a while ago, I was more than happy to take the wood chip for the school wildlife areas as well as a pile of logs for myself
20240212_162802.jpg

Local tree surgeon gave me a call this morning saying they needed somewhere to tip 2 loads of lime woodchip, they got my number from a website I signed up to a while ago, I was more than happy to take the wood chip for the school wildlife areas as well as a pile of logs for myself
View attachment 175764
Nice treat!

Back