Lets see your wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst holidaying in the Highlands we had a walk to the Corpach Caol ship that's resting on the edge of Loch Eil/Loch Linnhe and came across loads of drift wood. Just up the road is a sawmill and I think 1 piece has come from there and washed down stream a bit. Not very big but with all the bits we had I couldn't fit anything bigger in the car 😂, but also a piece of driftwood that I just liked to look of. I'm thinking a natural edge bowl.

Attachments

• PXL_20240421_111334353.jpg
    PXL_20240421_111334353.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240421_111341693.jpg
    PXL_20240421_111341693.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
Saturday SWMBO arrived home from her volunteer work at the UK wolf trust near Reading (yes real wolves) with a boot full of wood, had she asked before loading it up I probably would have said no to it, I've so much waiting to be processed already and most of this new stuff was on a log pile and is full of bugs but not wanting to seem ungrateful I took it and spent yesterday processing it, a nice bit of yew, a couple of bits of Hawthorn that had split but got a couple of plate blanks and some spindle blanks, 2 big logs that I couldn't identify at first but as soon as I started cutting them on the bandsaw I knew the smell instantly as Ash, confirmed by the fresh cuts turning pink, managed a couple of bowl blanks, some spindles and a few box blanks theres also a cube about 6 or 7 inches on all sides with hundreds of little splits that im trying to think of a use for as it looks really nice, finally was a few bits of something I can't identify but have nice purple colouring that doesn't show well in the photos.
20240421_133408.jpg20240421_133413.jpg20240421_134357.jpg20240421_134406.jpg20240421_134410.jpg20240421_134807.jpg

Just had a closer look and the cube of wood I initially assumed was Ash is actually oak, hoping I can square it up without losing too many of the small cracks then turn the centre away leaving the outside faces flat then put a light inside, if it works I think it will look stunning, especially with a contrasting top and base20240422_182607.jpg20240422_182613.jpg20240422_182620.jpg20240422_182629.jpg20240422_182635.jpg20240422_183805.jpg

I also got a stick of oak that looks to have been outside for a very long time looking at how ridged it had become, I'm thinking of cutting it into lengths and drying them thoroughly in the oven and getting a friend who does a lot of resin casting to cast them in resin so I can then turn some twig pots/small vases.
20240422_183132.jpg20240422_183129.jpg

Saturday SWMBO arrived home from her volunteer work at the UK wolf trust near Reading (yes real wolves) with a boot full of wood, had she asked before loading it up I probably would have said no to it, I've so much waiting to be processed already and most of this new stuff was on a log pile and is full of bugs but not wanting to seem ungrateful I took it and spent yesterday processing it, a nice bit of yew, a couple of bits of Hawthorn that had split but got a couple of plate blanks and some spindle blanks, 2 big logs that I couldn't identify at first but as soon as I started cutting them on the bandsaw I knew the smell instantly as Ash, confirmed by the fresh cuts turning pink, managed a couple of bowl blanks, some spindles and a few box blanks theres also a cube about 6 or 7 inches on all sides with hundreds of little splits that im trying to think of a use for as it looks really nice, finally was a few bits of something I can't identify but have nice purple colouring that doesn't show well in the photos.
View attachment 179966View attachment 179967View attachment 179968View attachment 179969View attachment 179970View attachment 179971
I think that is blackthorn. Good for a live edge winged bowl with a purple centre

Nowhere near as nice as that bit of oak Stig, but a neighbour has given me this. I can hardly lift it but it’s crying out to be made into something. Anyone got any ideas? It's some form of ornamental cherry. It was cut down last year. I think. Any suggestions welcomed!
IMG_1775.jpeg
IMG_1774.jpeg

Nowhere near as nice as that bit of oak Stig, but a neighbour has given me this. I can hardly lift it but it’s crying out to be made into something. Anyone got any ideas? It's some form of ornamental cherry. It was cut down last year. I think. Any suggestions welcomed!View attachment 180043View attachment 180042
Definitely cherry and I'm shocked it hasn't split more than it has, I'd be tempted to split it through the centre, rough turn 2 bowls and seal with pva then store in their own shavings for a few months to finish drying.

you mean slice or split end to end?
End to end through the hearts, parallel to the ground in your 2nd pic, you'll get 2 shallow bowls, being a 3 way crotch you could get some gorgeous feathering in the grain. Similar to this eucalyptus but with 2 feather stripes-
20230227_183048.jpg20230227_183021.jpg

Or you could turn a single live edge bowl like the eucalyptus ⬆️ but having tried that myself with cherry the heartwood shrinks and distorts heavily

So I took Stig’s advice and split my cherry log in 2.
Cut it roughy into rounds that would fit on the lathe, but clearly unbalanced so nearly shook the workshop apart! Far too scary so stopped. The wood is pretty though…
I’ve sealed them with PVA but wondering why they should be stored in their own shavings please?
I’ve picked out the black soggy rotten bits and associated grubs, the whole thing was really wet so maybe the tree was cut more recently than I thought.
Yes you can tell, I have never done this before, but I’m going to a club on Friday so I can learn.

Attachments

• IMG_1783.jpeg
    IMG_1783.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1787.jpeg
    IMG_1787.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1789.jpeg
    IMG_1789.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1791.jpeg
    IMG_1791.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1795.jpeg
    IMG_1795.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
So I took Stig’s advice and split my cherry log in 2.
Cut it roughy into rounds that would fit on the lathe, but clearly unbalanced so nearly shook the workshop apart! Far too scary so stopped. The wood is pretty though…
I’ve sealed them with PVA but wondering why they should be stored in their own shavings please?
I’ve picked out the black soggy rotten bits and associated grubs, the whole thing was really wet so maybe the tree was cut more recently than I thought.
Yes you can tell, I have never done this before, but I’m going to a club on Friday so I can learn.
Rough turning allows the wood to dry quickly, using the wet shaving helps to stop it drying too quickly, if you used dry shavings they would draw out the moisture rapidly and increase the chances of cracks, cutting into rounds like you have and sealing should reduce the cracking but as it's cherry there's no guarantee, if it was me I would set my lathe speed to minimum (400rpm on mine) until it was balanced enough to turn up the speed then rough it out leaving the wall thickness at least 10% of the diameter, so if it's a 10inch diameter the walls should be 1 inch thick then seal the endgrain inside and outside before storing it in a paper bag/cardboard box with the wet shavings it produced.
I hope they stay in a usable state for you, that grain is seriously gorgeous 😍

Latest posts

Back