Lets see your wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planed looks similar ash but it isn't, definitely conifer, doesn't look like SYP I have used which usually has wider growth rings

Last edited:
A friend came back from New Zealand today and brought me back some Australian timber. A small piece of Inland Queensland Rosewood, not a true rosewood but just as gorgeous, and 4 pieces of Gidgee, also gorgeous. I wish I had a lathe.

Attachments

• queensland rosewood.jpg
    queensland rosewood.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • gidgee.jpg
    gidgee.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
A friend came back from New Zealand today and brought me back some Australian timber. A small piece of Inland Queensland Rosewood, not a true rosewood but just as gorgeous, and 4 pieces of Gidgee, also gorgeous. I wish I had a lathe.
Those 4 pieces of gidgee look similar to a log of robinia I was given a while ago.

They were posted from Australia to New Zealand and then flew back to Italy in my friends baggage so I hope theyr're not the same! Bits of wood that cost next to nothing in Aus are simply gorgeous compared to what I can get here.

Soooooooo I've got 4 silver birch coming down soon to make way for new classrooms,
20240215_094043.jpg
The tree surgeon has agreed to cut them however I want, my thinking is this, remove the tops and wodchip everything under 6inch thick, the crowns at the top of the stems can be left as a whole log and maybe split into several smaller crotches if i get chance, the main stems which are around 6 to 8 feet tall are where I'm unsure of how best to deal with, obviously stored as logs with ends sealed would be best but to make moving them easier my thinking is to cut them at ground level and then to cut them along the length through the heart as best as possible then seal the ends, this might be difficult with the one on left in the pic though as it looks like the main stem is made up of 3 or 4 fused stems, won't know until the tops are off.
Thoughts?
Also if anyone local wants some of it I'd be happy to keep some bits aside. Also have a couple of oaks coming down this year, 1 soon and the other towards the end of the year.

The Americans (and not of course forgetting the...er...um..Canadians) (joking, honest!) are really spoilt for choice in type and size of wood compared to all of us poor Brits, jammy bu99ers! Not that I'm envious! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I'm in contact with a tree service, they occasionally bring me some really nice stuff,
Last large drop off was black locust, the burls you see. Redwood and Mulberry.
I was indeed fortunate this past year. When the path to the back yard dries up, far too muddy/soft currently, I hope to get some more.

The Americans (and not of course forgetting the...er...um..Canadians) (joking, honest!) are really spoilt for choice in type and size of wood compared to all of us poor Brits, jammy bu99ers! Not that I'm envious! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
Australians are even luckier, lovely wood like Jarrah used as fence posts.

I’d put a bid in on an eBay offering of a 2-3” thick x 32” dia oak cookie slab and won it for the vv good price of £26 😁

An hours drive to near Stafford today to a farm based wood yard ….and wow what a find. A great guy called Ross who has loads of different species in both planks/ slabs and smaller pieces for those into turning or even pen making ….including iroko, Douglas fir, wenge, padouk, oak, walnut etc.

Here is the oak cookie after a quick use of my trusty Wolf belt sander

View attachment 174144

I spotted an 8” thick 30” cookie cut labelled bosse - also known as Nigerian pear wood, this looks like the dark version ….Guarea thompsonii Sprague

it a 100Kg beast and a deal as done at £30 ….WOW 😍😍

again a quick attach with 60/80/120 grit

View attachment 174145 View attachment 174146

Reserved a 3.5 m long x350mm x 80 mm slab of sycamore fir less than £100 too .

If anyone wants his details pm me
I had the Bosse ‘polo mint’ cut into three rings a few weeks ago

Over the weekend I’ve inserted a 9mm ply supporting sheet into its base IMG_1356.jpeg
IMG_1358.jpeg

And fitted three beech bowties to stabilise the splits
IMG_1360.jpeg

Now has 1 coat of expos resin to seal the grain

IMG_1361.jpeg

Nice ring lines

On my travels along the east coast this week insnafflee two 1300x900x65mm cookies of kiln dried sweet chestnut

IMG_1384.jpeg

IMG_1383.jpeg

They have been milled before I got them …but a Quick Look with my straightedge shos another 15mm will have them much better …and at 65mm thick I’ve plenty meat to use.

Bith cookies shown after a quick white spirit wipe over

A day off today and I'd arranged to pop over to a woodyard not far away, I wanted some wood to make cutting boards as gifts for the family. It was my first time visiting a Woodyard and I felt a bit out of my comfort zone, not really quite sure what I needed.

I came away with a 6 or 7 foot length of Oak, hopefully if it doesn't distort too much, I'll use it for a shelf in the kitchen. I'll leave it to settle (in the kitchen) and fingers crossed it might be alright, but if not, I'm sure I'll find another use for it.

I also bought a 5' length of Sycamore, it looks like it could have some nice figure to it and the other board is a nice and chunky piece of Beech.

The total cost was £55 and he also threw in a rough piece of Lime wood for carving practice.

20240412_170623.jpg

Latest posts

Back