Last project of 2012! (And some carving)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeS

Established Member
Reaction score
Bamboo whistles! Happy new year to the lot of you! ;-)
whistles.jpg

Made from the 2011 growth of the bamboo from our garden, harvested around March 2012 and dried in the shed/garage since then. They work surprisingly well!

(Not that I need any whistles, but that's not the point at all. I can almost hear my parents warning me about putting things I found in the garden in my mouth.)

Speaking of parents, it's almost less woodwork-related than the whistles (although I did use the bandsaw!), but I've been toying on and off for a year or so with carving, resulting in these Christmas presents for my mum (greyhound owner) and dad (curiously attached to swordfishes after watching Horse Feathers):
2012-greyhound-bookmark.jpg

2012-swordfish-letter-opene.jpg

The bookmark is made from two bits of black walnut veneer around a maple-veneer core; I've been trying to get bookmarks out of thin slices of wood since I got my first bandsaw, but until I learned more about veneering and understood the balancing back-and-front, they always ended up seriously curved! The letter opener is maple, since it's the hardest, tightest-grained wood in my offcuts bin.

The background of the greyhound one is my least favourite part of either, since I had terrible trouble keeping it flat and even all the way around. If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears.

Attachments

• whistles.jpg
    whistles.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 897
  • 2012-swordfish-letter-opene.jpg
    2012-swordfish-letter-opene.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 897
  • 2012-greyhound-bookmark.jpg
    2012-greyhound-bookmark.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 897

Latest posts

Back