Laser cutting of 1.5mm ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

does anyone have the equipment for, or have experience of a reliable provider of laser cutting in 1.5mm ply?

I have a number of parts to make that I have dxf files for if anyone can point me in the right direction.

regards,

Colin

Colin,

If you draw a blank elsewhere I may have details of a person who cuts ply for model railway baseboards with a laser cutter. No idea if he'd be interested but pm me for his details if you have no luck elsewhere.

Tony Comber

How large are the parts that need cutting? Laser cutters vary in size from small A4 machines to large industrial beasts.

It might sound like a strange suggestion but you could try the D&T department at a nearby school. We used to do small batch stuff for people outside of school as favours for a while but aren't really allowed any more. They still let me use ours for personal projects though.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I'd like to find someone able to handle approx 600mm square if I can as the parts nest neatly into that.

I'd prefer laser over routed as I want to imprint part numbers on the bits which a laser does well.

Regards,

Colin

If you can change them to 300x500 or 400x600 you'll have more options as more people have that bed size etc.

I'd love to do them but mine's a temperamental beast.

There are a few so-called Hackspaces around the country. There's one in North London that I've been intending to join for ages. These are places where makers gather to share equipment and expertise. The North London one has (had) a laser cutter.

4D models provide all sorts of unusual cutting services - laser up to 1240x700mm
modelshop.co.uk
Matt

Hi,

Thanks to all who contacted me, I am following up on the suggestions. Will provide some feedback when I have something sorted.

Regards,

Colin

Ps Merry Christmas!

Back