Kity 613 Bandsaw wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaminal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just taken delivery of my Kity 613. I bought this from eBay, and nice as it seems to be, has arrived caked with sawdust. I want to dismantle this to give all parts a good clean (the table barely tilts it's so jammed up!).

The problem is that I am completely uneducated in all things mechanical and can't see how to go about getting the wheels off! Images below. Can anyone offer advice?

http://s1103.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... Kity%20613

anaminal":bmb5vdk1 said:
Hi All,

Just taken delivery of my Kity 613. I bought this from eBay, and nice as it seems to be, has arrived caked with sawdust. I want to dismantle this to give all parts a good clean (the table barely tilts it's so jammed up!).

The problem is that I am completely uneducated in all things mechanical and can't see how to go about getting the wheels off! Images below. Can anyone offer advice?

http://s1103.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... Kity%20613

Hi

Firstly don't panic you've bought a great saw I have one myself they are a workhorse and very underrated!

All you need to do to take off the wheels is get yourself a pair of circlip pliers or borrow a pair and it's easy as pie!

You just take off the circlips and the wheels will come easy peasy just pull them off.

here's a link to the pliers if you don't know anyone with a pair...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40

If you need any more help just ask :)

Bill

Great cheers guys, I expect I'll be back tomorrow to ask "how do I get them back on" :)

Cracking saw, which looks like mine AFTER I've cleaned it :) :)

I've just remade the insert on mine out of a piece of beech as the old one was dropping which clogged the cut as on the back of the insert hole. That has made a massive difference. Also, if you can get hold of a small piece of lignam, it makes great bearings.

A good buy mate, which I'm sure you'll enjoy. Merry Christmas.

I'm sure that those circlips that you can see DONT need to be removed to get the wheels off
they look as though they are a press fit onto the shaft so should come off with a suitable puller
The circlip needs to come out to remove the bearings from the wheels

Ian

hmm, OK leaving the wheels aside for a minute (I'll come back to these once I get hold of the circlips).

Guides!

I noticed the guides weren't moving very freely so took them out, cleaned away the dust and added some lubricant (I used an aerosol silicone, please don't tell me this was the wrong thing) but they're still sticking. Infact, I just made a few cuts and noticed a few sparks jumping out! I assume this is considered unhealthy... is there a fix or will I need to buy a new guide?

anaminal":pb9ay20m said:
hmm, OK leaving the wheels aside for a minute (I'll come back to these once I get hold of the circlips).

Guides!

I noticed the guides weren't moving very freely so took them out, cleaned away the dust and added some lubricant (I used an aerosol silicone, please don't tell me this was the wrong thing) but they're still sticking. Infact, I just made a few cuts and noticed a few sparks jumping out! I assume this is considered unhealthy... is there a fix or will I need to buy a new guide?

I take it you have the bearing type guides on your saw?

Some of the saws came with 2 wooden blocks and only a back bearing. Though by your photo I think I can just make out that you have 3 bearings, this type also came with a rack and pinion type rise and fall, where the wooden block type was a manual lift rise and fall.

If you look at the guides underneath You'll find that they are probably wooden blocks make sure that they are centered properly, If you look on youtube there are a few good guides on how to set up a bandsaw properly.

The only thing I would draw your attention to on a Kity is that where most bandsaw blades run in the middle of the band wheels on the crown of the wheel as they say, on a Kity the blade rides on the outside of the band wheel, I think it's 2/3 of the blade on the wheel and 1/3 of the blade off the front of the wheel, but it tells you on the saw up near the top at the back if you're stuck.

Anyway you definatley shouldn't be seeing any sparks!!

What I would suggest is to leave them "the bearings" overnight in some kind of freeing lubricant and if that doesn't work just buy new ones they're not much only a few quid each, I can't remember off hand where to get them but I'm sure someone else will know and If you can't find them come back to me and I'll let you know.

So don't worry it's a cheap fix but try the freeing oil first, I suppose there's a chance they maybe rusted inside but unlikely as I'm sure they are made of good steel.

Bill

Cheers Bill
Bills Elm":c7xgmo2a said:
Sorry Bill - shoulda thought of that. Photos now added to photobucket. http://s1103.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... Kity%20613

The only thing I would draw your attention to on a Kity is that where most bandsaw blades run in the middle of the band wheels on the crown of the wheel as they say, on a Kity the blade rides on the outside of the band wheel, I think it's 2/3 of the blade on the wheel and 1/3 of the blade off the front of the wheel, but it tells you on the saw up near the top at the back if you're stuck.
Didn't know this! When the saw arrived the blade was running in the middle of the wheel and there is a well worn track that shows it's been running that line for a while. How should I approach tracking this blade then as I'm working to what I've read in Lonnie Bird's 'The Bandsaw Book'.

What I would suggest is to leave them "the bearings" overnight in some kind of freeing lubricant
Will give this a shot. just go to B&Q and ask or are there specific products you'd recommend?

Yeah Phils right don't spend money on anything, even petrol would do just something thin enough to penetrate the bearing and i would keep turning it every so often while it's submerged to try and free it up.

I'll get back to you tomorrow on your other questions i'm off to bed now.

Bill

anaminal":mdeqp5oi said:
Cheers Bill
Bills Elm":mdeqp5oi said:
Sorry Bill - shoulda thought of that. Photos now added to photobucket. http://s1103.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... Kity%20613

Bills Elm":mdeqp5oi said:
Didn't know this! When the saw arrived the blade was running in the middle of the wheel and there is a well worn track that shows it's been running that line for a while. How should I approach tracking this blade then as I'm working to what I've read in Lonnie Bird's 'The Bandsaw Book'.

As I said before the blade should run on the outside of the bandwheel as for Lonnies book I havn't read it but all you need to do is tilt the blade forward using the tilt screw at the back of the saw I will post you some pics tomorrow, so don't w3orry we'll get it sorted :wink:

Bill

Hey Guys - Cheers for the advice so far, bandsaw is now running smooth as a smooth thing, and so inevitably I have more questions... Table!

Two Questions

First: what is this thing? http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g48 ... 0a35c8.jpg
I literally can't see how I would use this!

Second: Is there a piece missing from my fence? I can't see how it attaches onto the table, or an I supposed to buy a separate clamp to secure it? In the photo it is just balanced on the table, so obviously if I rested against it while cutting it wouldn't help. Thoughts?
http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g48 ... d%20Fence/
I've read up on fences and watched videos of them in action so know what it's supposed to do... starting to suspect it's missing something

Picture 1 is a miter guide for cross cutting at angles between 0 and 90 deg. there must be loads of youtube videos to show it's use.
The fence seems to be complete and fixes to the saw via the scale as in your picture 2 and is locked in place with the black knob screwed into the side of the scale when in the correct position.

Latest posts

Back