SCM Minimax S45 Bandsaw Teardown & Overhaul

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to note that the belt on my S45 is an A38, but it also looks newer than the saw, so I suspect it was replaced at some point in the life of the saw, probably with the exact same experience as you.

On the spring size, mine was compressed fully for a long time, and it came in at almost exactly 60mm long, but I don't have the number of coils to hand I'm afraid.

Thanks again for this whole thread @Sideways and @deema, it is already really useful, and will definitely be in the future if anything goes wrong with my S45.

Finally, my machine doesn't have the rack and pinion rise and fall for the blade guard, and the travel isn't square to the table or parallel to the blade. Is it possible to retro-fit something like is on your version, as it looks much easier to use, and would save altering the guides every time the cut of height is adjusted?
The A 38 is the correct size. Looking at the original belt that was replaced was a bit confusing though. The new A38 shows measurements of 13mm x 1016mm. The old Optibelt-VB is 13mm x 956mm. I originally went and got an A36 belt but is was much too short. The new A38 fits perfectly. Don't know who's figuring out the conversion from inches to mm but maybe they don't know what they are doing??

It's all academic to me but I have greatly enjoyed this thread and the obvious thoroughness and engineering expertise that has gone into theis rebuild. Thanks to you both and I hope you will do more of this sort of stuff for us all to admire and enjoy.

Jim

It's all academic to me but I have greatly enjoyed this thread and the obvious thoroughness and engineering expertise that has gone into theis rebuild. Thanks to you both and I hope you will do more of this sort of stuff for us all to admire and enjoy.

Jim
Hi jim, deema and sideways have done quite a few rip down and rebuilds, not quite sure how you search for those specifically, but always detailed and well thought out work 🙃

Hi jim, deema and sideways have done quite a few rip down and rebuilds, not quite sure how you search for those specifically, but always detailed and well thought out work 🙃
Tjhanks Kev. I have seen a few of them but probably not. I'll see if I can find them.

Jim

I've just picked up a 240v one of these and was reading through the thread and realised, mine is "missing" the lower rollers. Seems to have a couple of blocks vaguely close to the blade in the lower area, but nothing adjustable as such. Have I bought a wrong 'un or was this an optional axtra :)

I've just picked up a 240v one of these and was reading through the thread and realised, mine is "missing" the lower rollers. Seems to have a couple of blocks vaguely close to the blade in the lower area, but nothing adjustable as such. Have I bought a wrong 'un or was this an optional axtra :)
Sounds like its the same as mine, see my post number 79.
Just re reading this thread as I am finally getting round to sorting the bandsaw. It cuts well even in its relatively poor state.

@Sideways @deema
Thanks once again for an excellent thread.
Can I ask you regarding the tensioning mechanism.
I have the 240v version (not sure if the frame is the same) need to replace/ upgrade the tensioner. Currently using the original (and probably over compressed spring) Any major disadvantages to simply changing the single spring rather than using your three?

I am missing the plastic cup and metal sleeve from my machine, I am not intent on replacing them. However it appears that the metal sleeve sits on a square washer onto of the frame, or am I looking at it incorrectly? Would your tensioner work without these, do I need to think about something on top of the frame.

We chose a 3 spring solution as it was the only way we could actually achieve the spring constant necessary to tension the maximum width of blade in HSS that the machine is rated for. I approached spring manufactures and they all categorically stated that a single spring of the dimensions of the original could not be manufactured with the required spring constant. I spoke with SCM technical, and they were very evasive, they didn’t design the bandsaw and wouldn’t comment on the question of whether their spring had the required spring constant to tension the blades up to its maximum width.

The cup system is just a way of providing an indication of the blade tension. I redesigned it and made a new one for the saw we rebuilt. The original would need a new tension graphic if you change the spring. I personally wouldn’t bother and instead make a blade tension gauge and create a system to stop over compressing of the spring.

I am setting my SMC Minimax to work, having cleaned it, especially gummed up blade guides and fitted a new blade. I am left with two problems. First, looking at the table, from the front, the right hand side is stepped down 0.50 mm compared to the left, the photo shows this. Is there any means of correcting this? Second the fence, similar to the one in this thread, is not square to the front of the table. There is no means of adjustment for this, as far as I can see

Attachments

• IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 0
Slacken off the table to allow it to tilt, adjust if necessary the stop which is just a long bolt sticking up so that the table is perpendicular to the blade.

Deema
Thank you for your reply and your excellent restoration posts, which have been very helpful.
I probably did not explain my problem well enough.

The table and blade are perpendicular, as shown. The problem is that the table is not flat across the front edge. A 0.40 mm feeler gauge can get in, as shown in the other picture below, yet when a straight edge is put across the table, beside the blade, it is flat. This suggests, to me a slight distortion of the table,
causing the outer side of the front to sag.

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

There should be a round pin, shaped like a hex key, ie bent with a short side. This pushes into the table where the blade slot is and keeps the two halves true to each other. Cast iron moves, if it’s been left out / not used the two sides will no longer be level. Most times you can force the pin in, and over time, something like a year, the tables will come back and little force will be required to get the pin in. They will never be true without the pin.

Thank you. No sign of the pin. However, on further inspection, I realised that there were no bolts fixing the fence attachment bar to the table either side of the blade slot. Putting bolts into these tapped holes so that the fence attachment bar is fixed to the table at four points, reduces the step to 0.05 mm, good enough for me.

Back