Keyless chuck problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just purchased the 16mm keyless chuck 700405 and a B16 2MT arbor 700408 from axminster.

Unless I'm being very stupid, the arbor doesn't fit in the chuck. Both the chuck and the arbor have B16 written on them, but the arbor won't sink below the shoulder line. Please could someone advise what I'm doing wrong?

be2fa87bbe271879d6977c30dac4a396.jpg

Is the B16 taper mating firmly, why do you need the chuck to butt-up nearer to the Morse taper?

As phil. suggests it allows you to use a taper wedge to part the joint if necessary.

In that case I'm sorry I interpreted your original explanation incorrectly.

Not much help this late on a Friday but I would suggest it's a 'phone call or message to Axminster support asking for an explanation as to why the two components supplied by them purporting to be to the same standard are not compatible.

CHJ":3a0k2wao said:
In that case I'm sorry I interpreted your original explanation incorrectly.

Not much help this late on a Friday but I would suggest it's a 'phone call or message to Axminster support asking for an explanation as to why the two components supplied by them purporting to be to the same standard are not compatible.
No worries - more likely my poor explanation ;)

I've emailed them to see what they say, thanks anyway

Make sure there's not a piece of crép down the hole in the chuck (a bit of swarf maybe?)

Both parts are absolutely clean?
No burrs, no anti-rust coating still in place.
Hole in chuck deep enough?
Distance to shoulder, same as chuck depth?
There isn't a left-handed screw in the chuck, is there, to mount it on a reversible drill? Probably not need on that arbour.

Bod

NazNomad":wdxbp7d5 said:
Make sure there's not a piece of crép down the hole in the chuck (a bit of swarf maybe?)
Nope, all clear.

The best way I can explain what happening is to imagine you drop a big screwdriver into a dog hole. That's what it's like, completely loose, and goes up to the shoulder of the arbor without any interference fit at all

Bod":2z4vlxzh said:
Both parts are absolutely clean?
No burrs, no anti-rust coating still in place.
Hole in chuck deep enough?
Distance to shoulder, same as chuck depth?
There isn't a left-handed screw in the chuck, is there, to mount it on a reversible drill? Probably not need on that arbour.

Bod
Check check. No screw threads, they're tapered for a (supposed) friction fit

That doesn't seem right, it should be a snugish fit without any trouble.

When you do get it sorted, remember to put the arbour in the freezer and warm the chuck up before fitting.

Just checking your terminology: the B16 is the short taper and the morse taper is the long taper. Your morse taper is fitted with a tang, which is normal but can prevent a fit into some tailstock barrels.

Matt
I'm confused a bit. Are you saying that 1). The chuck is loose on the arbor before fitting into the MT on your lathe or 2). is it the MT2 to lathe fitting that;s loose?

If the first then I'd send it back as has to be a good tight interference fit but if the second then either they've sent you a MT1 instead of 2 or more likely the shank is too long. I have several chucks and had to cut off the end of a MT to make it fit. Was an old one I already had so no issues.

Lons":3e9abttr said:
Matt
I'm confused a bit. Are you saying that 1). The chuck is loose on the arbor before fitting into the MT on your lathe or 2). is it the MT2 to lathe fitting that;s loose?

If the first then I'd send it back as has to be a good tight interference fit but if the second then either they've sent you a MT1 instead of 2 or more likely the shank is too long. I have several chucks and had to cut off the end of a MT to make it fit. Was an old one I already had so no issues.
Hi mate, it's number 1. The chuck rattles around loose on the arbor all the way up to the shoulder on the arbor (at which point it can't go any deeper).

The Mt arbor fits just fine in my drill press.

I've got a reply from axminster, but have to wait until Monday to speak to their chaps

Latest posts

Back