Keyless chuck problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope it gets sorted. As I get older I cannot be bothered with lost chuck keys and much prefer the keyless chuck. Yes if both are B16 they should form a strong grip. The Axminster 700405 looks like a quality product (going off the website pic) so hope it can get sorted.

An answer to lost keys -
DSCN2437.JPG
:D

Attachments

• DSCN2437.JPG
    DSCN2437.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 74
A more convenient method for bench equipment, a few scrap magnets from old computer hard disks.
magnet.jpg

Attachments

• magnet.jpg
    magnet.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 72
I'm interested to see how this turns out as I have been meaning to order that chuck & arbour from Axminster for my Startrite pillar drill that I got recently.
It does look like a quality chuck, as someone else said!

Will be interesting to see what they say Matt.
Sounds as if either taper on the chuck or the arbor is out of tolerance. I'd ask them to change both and pre-fit the arbor to the chuck before sending it. At least you can be sure Axminster will get it sorted.

Indeed. I'd just rather have avoided the hassle of returning and waiting for a replacement!

Thanks for all the troubleshooting everyone.

After speaking to axminster, they think it's a B18 chuck that has been incorrectly stamped B16. They're sending a new one through.

Yep, that was it. New chuck on the left, old one on the right. Both stamped B16, but the one on the right has an obviously larger hole.

Very pleased with the chuck - works a treat, and it's dead true. What's even better is that the site states the 16mm chuck is 3mm-16mm range, but it's actually 1mm-16mm, so full range. Lovely.
545c55036278df00c000a8397d15b0d3.jpg
ce9ec97d7a1597f50af8f9edbe75a0bd.jpg

Simple when you know the fault. The 1mm clamp ability is a must to avoid a lot of frustration.

CHJ":2zizpwmv said:
Simple when you know the fault. The 1mm clamp ability is a must to avoid a lot of frustration.
I have some pin chucks which make life even easier. I think you can get them these days with changeable collets and they aren't expensive.

Bob

Back