Should have stayed in bed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikebart

Established Member
Reaction score
Due to the recent cold spell I decided to do some regular maintenance on my slightly rusty iron topped machines.
My planer thicknesses needed a clean and the blades needed changing so I thought what the hell simple enough job.😳
I had previously purchased a pair of magnetic jigs for setting the blades and as the machine was working ok apart from blunt blades i decided to use the jigs to change the blades.
Changed the blades decided to check blade height with the wood dragging method and got about 10mm between the lines checked manual it said between 4-5mm😳
I assumed I had not set up the jigs correctly so I started again with the correct manufacturers jigs done all three blades and checked them again and guess what they where all about 10mm😩
Checked manual again yep 4-5mm, time to start scratching one’s head (I’m no youngster so memory not too good) did I do something different or wrong last blade change.
So I decide to adjust tables to get 4-5mm fortunately or not I have a long straight edge and both table are adjustable so about an hour later I’m ready to try a bit of wood through.
Ok I’m stressed now but a planer doesn’t like having the wood put through the wrong way thought it was strange the wood was being dragged through made a mess of the end part though.
All the guards were in place so only the wood got hurt.
At this time I was seriously considering selling all my equipment how could I be so stupid.
Few swear words and indoors for a cup of tea switch on to you tube how to change planer blades and guess what first search came up with Axminster instruction video on my machine changing blades and the important part was when then guy mentioned the measurement for wood drag check and it was 10mm. My wife wanted to know what I was swearing at😒
I have now reset my blades correctly now so no harm done but what a waste of a day.
PS it turns out the manual measurement is incorrect or l am going mad.
Hope this cheers someone up at my expense 😜

Last edited:
Look on the bright side at least your fingers didn't go though it!

That would have been a very bad day!

Look on the bright side at least your fingers didn't go though it!

That would have been a very bad day!
True buts that’s what working safely means even when stressed guards on and fingers well away from danger.

Last edited:
Mistakes and errors are easy make as others have said you weren’t hurt but could of been seriously injured, not woodwork related but yesterday I spent several hours removing dry lined plasterboard with a spade and hammer and chisel and got very little done. There is no electricity in the house so no point taking my 240volt hilti breaker . Went home thinking more of the same tomorrow and just generally losing the will to live . Must be an easier way I thought and then it hit me -the 18 volt battery breaker was there in front of me laughing 😆 at my stupidity. Well today I did more in 1 hour than several yesterday but I’m still kicking myself about the previous day. We live and learn however old we are ( I’m 57 or is it 58 ) 🤔🤔🤔

Mistakes and errors are easy make as others have said
Bad start to my day too, but not a mistake or error, just good old stupidity.
Always use a bow stringer when stringing my long bow, this morning I didn't. As a result the string was not properly in the nock at one end and it slipped out causing the recurve part on one of the bow limbs to spring back and gouge a lump out of my scalp.
I'm keeping clear of the child bride so she doesnt see the damage, at least for a while. I don't need her telling me I'm a crazy old goat. I know that already.

My planer thicknesses needed a clean and the blades needed changing so I thought what the hell simple enough job.😳
I had previously purchased a pair of magnetic jigs for setting the blades and as the machine was working ok apart from blunt blades i decided to use the jigs to change the blades.
Sounds all to familiar, my excuse was ignorance in the purchase of a Record PT107 and those blades just did not deliver the results I wanted, infact at one point it worked better with just two blades. I tried magnetic jigs, magnets and glass plus sticks but all to no avail. In hindsight had I done my homework I would have found a machine with Tersa blades but to late. The solution I reverted to was the Bruck disposable blade system where there is a carrier that holds double sided reversable blades and no setup as the carrier locates on the drum. Blades are cheaper than the OEM ones but the initial outlay for the carriers is the expensive bit.

https://www.advancedmachinery.co.uk/machinery/tooling.asp?section=esta-bruck-knife-system-382

Sounds all to familiar, my excuse was ignorance in the purchase of a Record PT107 and those blades just did not deliver the results I wanted, infact at one point it worked better with just two blades. I tried magnetic jigs, magnets and glass plus sticks but all to no avail. In hindsight had I done my homework I would have found a machine with Tersa blades but to late. The solution I reverted to was the Bruck disposable blade system where there is a carrier that holds double sided reversable blades and no setup as the carrier locates on the drum. Blades are cheaper than the OEM ones but the initial outlay for the carriers is the expensive bit.

https://www.advancedmachinery.co.uk/machinery/tooling.asp?section=esta-bruck-knife-system-382
Actually for the price of the machine the end results are fairly good it’s about 3years old and apart from the noise level not to bad to use.
The manufacturer has just realised a (new model with some changes) spiral/helical head and modified the top halve so both tables can been lifted as one to aid operation change and increased the price by nearly half.
Looks like the same basic machine so I suspect the new head would fit (same dia) with minor mods slower feed rate etc.
But commercially the manufacturer can’t supply dimension to check and the cost to fit a helical to my existing machine would not be viable.
A new machine would not be used enough to warrant the additional expense so stick with what I have and spend money elsewhere.

Back