Joke Thread II

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife didn't find that one very funny - I can't imagine why not, unless it's because she's a Professor of Telecommunications and Electronic Engineering at the Technical University here. Outside the English-speaking countries, which seemingly still live in the Dark Ages of gender stereotyping, women have been at least equally represented at all levels in Engineering, Technology etc for the best part of a century. :cool:

My wife didn't find that one very funny - I can't imagine why not, unless it's because she's a Professor of Telecommunications and Electronic Engineering at the Technical University here. Outside the English-speaking countries, which seemingly still live in the Dark Ages of gender stereotyping, women have been at least equally represented at all levels in Engineering, Technology etc for the best part of a century. :cool:

If I remember correctly it originally appeared as part of an advert and was in no way meant as a trigger 🙄

This was absolutely nothing to with gender stereotyping and rather more to do with the photographer not knowing what they're doing. It was one of the Shutterstock stock images used to make a point. The original story is here. FWIW, at least one of the other images involved featured a male - all three images have since been removed from Shutterstock.

https://robservatory.com/tracking-uncredited-reuse-of-a-popular-tweet/
My degree is electronic engineering and physics. There were 80 people in my year - 3 were women. I'm well aware how tough it is to get proper representation.

This was absolutely nothing to with gender stereotyping and rather more to do with the photographer not knowing what they're doing. It was one of the Shutterstock stock images used to make a point. The original story is here. FWIW, at least one of the other images involved featured a male - all three images have since been removed from Shutterstock.

https://robservatory.com/tracking-uncredited-reuse-of-a-popular-tweet/
My degree is electronic engineering and physics. There were 80 people in my year - 3 were women. I'm well aware how tough it is to get proper representation.
The original photo was doubtless innocuous but I take leave to doubt that it appeared here as a joke about anything other than gender stereotyping - all the best jokes have a sting in the tail regarding something. I certainly wasn't "triggered" - in fact I chuckle every time this resurfaces, and my wife wasn't offended but simply took it as a typical male "joke". Doubtless some of her male students might like it, particularly since the ones who graduate as Bachelors with the highest marks are almost invariably female, and her assistants, all PhDs, are evenly split along gender lines (very simple in this backward neck of the woods as only two genders exist).

0_QUZC9DLK6GYTUOFj (1).jpg

The original photo was doubtless innocuous but I take leave to doubt that it appeared here as a joke about anything other than gender stereotyping - all the best jokes have a sting in the tail regarding something. I certainly wasn't "triggered" - in fact I chuckle every time this resurfaces, and my wife wasn't offended but simply took it as a typical male "joke". Doubtless some of her male students might like it, particularly since the ones who graduate as Bachelors with the highest marks are almost invariably female, and her assistants, all PhDs, are evenly split along gender lines (very simple in this backward neck of the woods as only two genders exist).
Interesting. I didn't make any connection about women and some sort of inability on their part with electronics or any other form of engineering. I'd guess that's mainly because I'm under the impression that putting together circuit boards is dominated by a female workforce; perhaps I've got the wrong impression and that's not the case.

All I saw in the image was someone who's fingers would almost certainly get burnt if the soldering iron was switched on. I also assumed that whoever set up the snap knew nothing about soldering irons and the 'worker' was a model hired only to pose, and also knew nothing about soldering irons. Slainte.

It's this kind of attitude which has us all creeping delicately around on eggshells, these days.
Had the model been male, all your arguments could equally have been applied, therefore
rendering your point moot. I think you are looking for something which is not there.
Really, if you cannot enjoy The Joke Thread for what it is, perhaps you would be better not
looking at it.

I still don’t get it. A woman soldering a circuit board. Harharhar! Nope, I must be dumb.

I still don’t get it. A woman soldering a circuit board. Harharhar! Nope, I must be dumb.

The "PERSON" holding the soldering iron is holding a part that would be HOT if the iron was plugged in/switched on! It's the black part right at the back in the photo that should be held.

The to my mind rather extreme reactions to this (to my mind not particularly funny "joke") also remind me of the "humourous" response to anyone getting on your wick during my training - "If you don't shut up I'll ram this soldering iron up your aXse - handle first so you'll have to grab the hot end to get it out!"

All very juvenile of course, and also completely impractical too, because to insert it in the manner described the "activator" would have had to grab the hot end in the first place! An example - in addition to some of the comments on the OP - of how "silly" it is to take jokes at their apparent "face value".

IMO, a joke thread is just that - full of jokes. Of course we all have a different sense of humour to a certain extent, so what's "funny" to one person may not be "funny" to someone else. But to take almost (note the "almost" please) ANY joke seriously is giving said joke far more "value" that it has in reality.

There MAY however be SOME exceptions to any joke which is in really "bad taste".

So now let's all have half a million posts about what is/is not bad taste!

OR should we "just" go back to the original idea of a jokes thread?

Last edited:
The "PERSON" holding the soldering iron is holding a part that would be HOT if the iron was plugged in/switched on! It's the black part right at the back in the photo that should be held.

The to my mind rather extreme reactions to this (to my mind not particularly funny "joke") also remind me of the "humourous" response to anyone getting on your wick during my training - "If you don't shut up I'll ram this soldering iron up your aXse - handle first so you'll have to grab the hot end to get it out!"

All very juvenile of course, and also completely impractical too, because to insert it in the manner described the "activator" would have had to grab the hot end in the first place! An example - in addition to some of the comments on the OP - of how "silly" it is to take jokes at their apparent "face value".

IMO, a joke thread is just that - full of jokes. Of course we all have a different sense of humour to a certain extent, so what's "funny" to one person may not be "funny" to someone else. But to take almost (note the "almost" please) ANY joke seriously is giving said joke far more "value" that it has in reality.

There MAY however be SOME exceptions to any joke which is in really "bad taste".

So now let's all have half a million posts about what is/is not bad taste!

OR should we "just" go back to the original idea of a jokes thread?
I think sometimes there is too much read into what is sexist and you miss the point of the joke (not very funny in this case ) by that i mean the person in charge of the project/photo shoot does not know the first thing about electric soldering irons the poor girl would be in severe pain if the iron was switched on nothing to do with thier gender in any way so why bring this into the senario just post a joke ,view it laugh, dont laugh , move on . Stop trying to cause negative reactions . Its a $¥€€@₩ joke thread Theres enough negativity around lets escape it for a short time on this thread

If you dont like my jokes or don't find them funny please ignore them.
If you dont understand use the icon.
This is a joke thread laugh or move on.
Im fed up of reading undertable unnecessary chat that are trying to be smart comments to win points in a none competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back